“Well done Marriott!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in Portsmouth
Danvers, Massachusetts
“Well done Marriott!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently spent a night at the Residence Inn when we were in Portsmouth for my wife's birthday. This hotel is conveniently located in downtown Portsmouth and close to everything. When we checked in the staff was extremely friendly and greeted us with warm smiles. The hotel is nicely decorated in tones of ocean blues and greys. Our room was immaculate and beautifully appointed. The appliances looked brand new and the bathroom was meticulously clean. While dressing for dinner, I went down to the bar. Gerri, the Operations Manager, was bartending as they were short staffed. Gerry, was warm, inviting, and made a point to speak to everyone at the bar. As the Operations Manager, she obviously has a lot to do in this hotel but clearly welcomed the opportunity to get to know hotel guests. She made such an impression on me, I am trying to think of a job I can offer her at my own organization! The next day, we met a chamber maid in the hallway who greeted us with a warm smile on what was otherwise a snowy cold New England day. The valet staff got all the snow off the car and brought it back to the hotel efficiently. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I travel for business several times a month and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

With the exception of getting a pair of key cards for the room that initially did not work, had an outstanding stay. Very nice lobby area, and the rooms are great - very clean and spacious. Great location! Parking is available across the street, and curbside parking for check in can sometimes be unavailable. Despite these minor nuisances with parking, we will go back to this hotel again. Downtown Portsmouth is within easy walking distance, one of the great benefits of this property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was my first time staying in Portsmouth, NH. We chose to stay at the Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront because of the location and proximity to downtown. The hotel was very busy when we arrived but the staff was extremely helpful and even let us check-in early. The rooms were very spacious and clean. My only complaint would be the parking – we had to wait almost 30 minutes for our valet, so I would recommend giving plenty of notice before you need to leave. Otherwise, the hotel was great, and the location to restaurants/shopping was ideal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
North Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to write a review for this hotel since the staff here were so outstanding and I hope the positive feedback gets back to them. Literally everyone from the front desk people to the cleaning crew to the valet guys were cheerful and helpful to the extreme. They had a free breakfast, free cookies in the afternoon and free snacks on most of the evenings. Free coffee and tea 24/7 as well.

My only complaint was the room was a bit noisy. I could hear the fridge and the heating clicking on and off at night and I could hear the person upstairs clomping around. My window also faced the construction site next door which was really noisy. I have really good hearing though so these things might not bother other people, I am not sure.

The location was excellent - walk to everything - although, weirdly, downtown Portsmouth doesn't seem to have a drugstore (??) The CVS is a mile away which wouldn't even be that bad but the weather was absolutely freezing. Lots of bars (all with live music), restaurants, shopping, etc. easily walkable from the hotel even in freezing temperatures. I did not have a car so that was nice.

All in all, a great stay. Nice hotel and very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013
Milton, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Residence Inn Downtown Portsmouth while visiting the area for business. From the moment we arrived (at valet parking) to the moment we checked out the staff was so wonderful. They were willing to help with whatever was needed.

The rooms were very spacious and clean for the most part. I happened to look underneath the sheets at one point and it looked like the underside of the mattress was stained for whatever reason, but that was the only thing I found wrong with the room. Everything else was great. In the little basket that has the coffee and sugar packets, there was also a bag of popcorn provided which I thought was a nice touch. Perfect for when my meetings got out late and I just needed a little snack.

Breakfast was really nice too. There were some hot items and cold items. They had these chocolate and white muffins that I thought were amazing.

It is really located in the perfect location if you are there to visit the local shops, eateries or sights of the water. I'm lucky that the building I was working from was right on the water and had a beautiful view. It's a beautiful area for walking around and visiting.

The only thing that others might find kind of annoying or an inconvenience is that there is only valet parking since there is no hotel parking lot/garage. There used to be a lot across the street that was .75 cents an hour, however they have now dug it up to build another hotel. There is a parking garage around the corner that is .75 an hour and that is where we parked since the office we were going to was just a five minute walk.

But other than parking everything else was great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I finally had a day off together and decided to get out of town for a nice dinner and to watch the New England Patriots play. We have stayed at the Residence Inn in the past. You are cordially greeted by the valet staff at the door. They will also help you with your luggage.
The reception staff is always very cordial and helpful. Since the hotel wasn't fully booked we also got an upgrade on our room. They also serve a full breakfast in the morning. It is also very convenient to one of our favorite restaurants The Blue Mermaid which is right behind the hotel.
We had an excellant meal and watched the football game with an attentive waitstaff. I definitely will be staying ther again in the future.

Room Tip: The larger King Suite has a sofabed and a small kitchenette if you are planning an extended stay.