“Great seafood and great view at BG's Boathouse” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 189 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Description: “Where the Locals Go” - This family owned favorite has been preparing the freshest seafood on the seacoast for 36 years! Enjoy the beautiful water views of Sagamore Creek while dining on the 2 outdoor decks, in the dining room or in the Sagamore Pub. Come by boat or kayak as well!
Dublin, Ireland
“Great seafood and great view at BG's Boathouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Extremely fresh seafood served by friendly staff - we had a great meal at BG's Boathouse. We shared a starter of sweet, buttery steamers and my salad with a scoop of fresh lobster was very good (and good value given the usual price for lobster). The white sangria was seriously delicious and just the thing for a warm summer evening. BG's is also very child friendly - my young son loved the fish and chips.

The waterfront setting is beautiful and the casual atmosphere make BG's perfect for a summer dinner out.

Visited July 2013

Cazenovia, New York
“average food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

had a nice meal there. on the deck, food average, price was typically high for seasonal tourist trap

Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Always consistent good food in a nice location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have visited BG's by land and by sea. You can dock right behind the restaurant near the outside deck. The setting is typical of rustic coastal New England. The seafood is fresh and cooked perfectly. The fried dishes never taste of old overused oil. The drinks are ice cold and they serve one of the best Bloody Marys.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
York, Maine
“Rudest server we have EVER had - ever.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Fourth of July weekend, while out on our boat, we decided to dock at BG's and go in for lunch. We asked for a table inside to get out of the heat, since it was about 90 degrees outside. We sat down and within 5 minutes noticed how incredibly hot it was inside the restaurant. There are two window AC units, neither of which were on. My father politely asked if one of the AC's could be turned on near our table. Our server, Beth, announced that the AC was already on, but switched that one on for us, very obviously annoyed. She immediately went and told the manager on duty who shook her head in annoyance, probably labeling us as annoying tourists (we're locals). The AC unit is one that displays the room temperature. It was 81 degrees inside the restaurant. Which tells me we weren't out of line asking for it to be turned on.
Our server took our drink order, and when she came back with it, realized she was short one drink, so she went back to get my mother's lemonade that she forgot. When she returned, my sister in law told her the water didn't taste right and she'd like lemonade for her and her 2 year old instead. Our server, Beth, replied with, "Well, I'm not making another trip right now. But what I will do is take your lunch order and the next time I come back I will bring your lemonades." I could see my sister in law immediately get red in the face. Basically the server chastised her in front of our entire table. Note to Beth: YOU ARE A SERVER. IT IS YOUR JOB TO MAKE ANOTHER TRIP. I used to be a server so I understand the job requirements.
We just wanted to have a nice family lunch, so we tried to brush off our server's obvious attitude problem. Our food came and looked great. Everyone had their lunch in front of them, and our server asked, "Can I get you anything else?" My brother responded, "Yes, can I please have a couple more tartar sauce?" To which our server replied, "How about I keep an eye on your and when you've finished that one I'll bring you another." As she said it she smirked at us. She wanted us to know she was in charge. It was shocking, rude, disrespectful, and completely out of line. My brother said to my father across the table, "I wouldn't leave her a dime. She is the rudest server I've ever had in my life." She must have overheard him because she YELLED across the dining room, over other tables of diners, "We try to conserve here." Well I don't care what you're trying to do. There is a right and wrong way to handle it. It's TARTER SAUCE. He wasn't asking for a side of caviar for free. It's MAYO and RELISH. Seriously. To lose customers (actually, 9 customers!) over $.02 of condiments is absolutely ridiculous. There were nine of us ordering pricey seafood. I didn't even order my child's meal off the kid's menu, I ordered him an adult meal. I imagine the check was about $150 for lunch, and to squawk over a request for extra condiments tells me this place doesn't have their priorities straight.
After this exchange, the server must have said something to the manager, who in turn came to our table and said, "Does someone need tartar sauce?" I flat out told her how rude her server was, and how we had never been treated so poorly at a restaurant. She asked me to elaborate and I explained what happened. She pretended to care, but it was obvious she didn't. She told us "I'm going to take care of you. Beth will no longer be your server today." That's great, but damage was done. Lunch was ruined, our experience there was ruined and we just crossed BG's off our list of places we'll dock at for lunch, dinner or drinks.
The rest of our meal was awkward and we just wanted to leave. The manager refilled drinks and cleared plates. My father is way too nice of a guy to stiff a server, he said he'd leave and appropriate tip for what she did do. When the manager brought the check, we weren't really given a choice, as she added 20% gratuity to our bill. Basically, by adding the tip, the manager let us know she didn't really care we had been treated poorly. She did give us a $25 gift card to "come back and try them again" (fat chance). We didn't need a gift card. We just needed to be treated with common courtesy and not been forced to tip a server 20% who didn't even do her job.
Had the manager handled the situation differently and actually cared about our experience, I never would have written this review. It was a decent attempt to pretend, but she didn't fool us. I cannot understand how any of this happened. We were a polite table of 6 adults and 3 extremely well behaved children. The only thing we asked for was AC, drinks and food. No demands, no rudeness, we say please and thank you constantly. Whatever made the server treat us so badly, I just feel sorry for her. She obviously has issues and her employer lost customers because of it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
falmouth, maine
“Eh.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ok service. Mediocre unimaginative and unappealing. Really innovative appetizers like soggy fried mushrooms, blah french fries, so so onion rings and buffalo Chicken. My wife said her salad was the worst she's ever had. Ok blackened fish. Warm - I mean warm - cole slaw. Think about it. Warm cole slaw Nice waitress but service a little slow. Nice view. Hey, it's a fried seafood place. Overpriced. Snazzy paper plates and plastic knives and forks dumped on the table. Massive portions? In what alternative universe? Other than a nice view absolutely nothing to distinguish it and zero reason to go back. In fact no reason to go in the first place. If u think this place is great you are missing a lot of good restaurants in Portsmouth.

• Visited July 2013