“Great seafood” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 189 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Fish & Chips, Chowder
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The River House is located along the scenic Piscataqua River. We offer indoor seating and a variety of outdoor seating including a cocktail deck, all with excellent views of Portsmouth's busy waterway. Our menu includes of a variety of classic dishes from land and sea including our award winning seafood chowder. Our scenic views, friendly service and local cuisine are a "Cant Miss" for Portsmouth, NH.
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stopped in Portsmouth on the way up North. Several shop owners in town said we had to try the River House, which was waterfront and had the seafood we where looking for.

Chowder was the best I ever had and my wife had the fried clams which was a big order and where excellent!

My server was busy so they lose one star for staffing, but overall I will definitely be back!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“The BEST Mussels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I can not find a better place than The River House to have mussels...ABSOLUTELY to BEST!!! And the view regardless of the season is breathtaking!

Visited September 2012
Maine
“Try the mulled cider!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We hit Portsmouth right after the temperature dropped 30 degrees. Brrr! Found the River House and their mulled cider was just what the dr ordered for an excellent warm up! Seafood chowder was yummy as well.

Visited November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Poor excuse for seafood - from a New England native”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We picked this mainly because of the location. Yes, nice deck location but this is a poor excuse for seafood. We ordered two meals, fish sandwick and shrip. Both were very mediocre. They both can be beat by a mile at Newick's for far less money, and many other places in cities nearby. If you want to pay for "being in Portsmouth" on the water there instead of getting really good seafood right off the dock at Newick's or in another city, go ahead. But I won't waste my time and money again. I was very disappointed and found it very pricy. And I live in a big city and am accustomed to paying - but then getting something truly memorable - in a good way.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
alpharetta, georgia
“Best Chowder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My friend and I stopped into the River House for dinner and I ordered the seafood chowder as it was highly recommended and they were right! It was the best seafood chowder I've ever had. Could not believe it. Nice pieces of shrimp in it too. You have to get this if you go to River House. Casual place for dining with family.

• Visited October 2012