“This restaurant is a bit hidden but soooo...” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 189 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
“This restaurant is a bit hidden but soooo...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010 via mobile

This restaurant is a bit hidden but soooo worth the find! Our waiter started by offering us a moist towel to wipe our hands before dining and the impecable service didn't end there. He answered all my questions in an honest manner and was not pushy in suggesting a few dishes. They even offer sushi with brown rice -- amazing! The whole place is clean clean clean! I believe I have found my new hidden gem -- and you too will not be disappointed.

USA
“Completely Surprised, definitely best sushi in the area!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Shio was recommended by a friend. Normally, when we want Sushi, we might travel to BenKay in Portland, but usually we just wait until we go to California or New York for good sushi. What a surprise and delight to find high quality sushi, combined with courteous professional service. Location certainly took me by surprise in a strip mall, near Odd Lots and Goodwill, but the friend who recommended it has traveled extensively so we went inside. The interior decor was lovely, clean, authentic Asian feel, but what really blew me away was the freshness of the seafood, the ingenuity of the wraps, a seaweed salad so fresh and crisp, I thought it had just been harvested from the sea. Ikura filled with salmon roe, that burst in your mouth when you bit into it. We tried the Fantasy Roll, which my daughter loved, and a special on the menu with toro. This is definitely a place I am going back to!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Nice sushi restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I really enjoyed my meal at Shio about a month ago (May 2010). I thought the service and staff was very nice and helpful. Their menu is a bit large, however I think they combine lunch and dinner into one menu, it just seems overwhelming and usually makes me question freshness of the food. There was no question everything I had was fresh.

My only complaint is that the ambiance of Shio absolutely screams "I AM IN A STRIP MALL!!!" Shio is in a strip mall and to be honest if I didn't research them before my trip through Portsmouth I would never have known they were there or any good.

Overall I would recommend them for a reasonably priced sushi or Japanese meal and the excellent quality of the food far outweighs their location and cold interior.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Maine
“Shio raises the bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Shio is the new Japanese restaurant in Portsmouth. It's the best looking restaurant and the sushi is good and reasonably priced. I'm happy with their two downtown competitors, but what Shio offers is better service, a new and spacious interior, and food that's maybe a little better and a little cheaper than what you can get downtown. And the parking's free so if you're driving to Portsmouth for Japanese food, you'll want to check this out. But if you're already downtown, you'll need to get the car.

Rhode Island
“Beautiful Japanese resturant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Amazing food, beautiful decor. I hated that i walked in with a jeans and hoodie on because it was just so pretty there. Decent prices for what you get as in quality and quantity of food. The sushi was superb!