“Old New England charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Old New England charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

This Hotel provided a very nice romantic getaway for my wife and I.
The hotel itself is very clean and well kept, Victorian plush without being ostentatious. The location is literally steps from the downtown shopping and dining area, but it feels much more separated.
The restaurant and cozy upstairs bar quite exceeded expectations. The menu gives a creative nod to comfort food. After a delicious quick meal at check-in, we were left looking forward to breakfast the next day. Our server at both meals, Marcia, was a delight. She was efficient and courteous, there when we needed and her and not there when we didn't. A very nice chat with her at the end of the meal provided us with some great suggestions of alternative activities in the area.
Portsmouth is only about an hour north of Boston, so we will gladly make this our home when we need to slow down for a night or two.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Brunswick, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

No extra fee for dog, as other places in Portsmouth charge. Great location!!! We walked everywhere in town. I personally had a great view (rm 318); sorry to hear other people don't like the port view -- it is called "Portsmouth" for a reason . . . .

Clean room, comfy bed. The check-in was great. There was a little bag of doggie poop bags with my dog's name waiting in my room for me! Very nice touch. Total room, including parking across the street, was $199. I think that's a good value for the quality of the room and the location.

Londonderry, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed here on 2/18/2012. If you are attracted to the Sheraton "Harborside" don't be. It is not the view you are are thinking of. Hotel is across the street from the Harbor and my room had a view of a gigantic salt pile. The hotel has a overall view of the working docks of the harbor so you will see cranes, piles of sand and salt. Ilse of Shoals Ship sails right from this area also. But I mention this for people that are interested in the view. I'm not so this was not a factor.

Driving in there is a garage underneath and a lot across the street. We parked in the lot across the street. Very short walk. Unless you have a lot of luggage it is easier to park in the lot and just walk to the lobby instead of parking in the lobby lot to check in first. Parking is $10 overnight.

Check in was smooth. Had a King Room for $195 that included tax. No major complaints about the room, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, mini bar, typical size. Hotel was quiet at night, also I was quite a few doors down from the elevator which helps. The one minor complaint was the curtains. The curtains that closed all the way were very light and see through. The heavier curtains that close at most hotels don't here. They are there for looks and line the edge of the window. Maybe I missed something here, operator error? But my friends said the same thing about their room. Since are view was a salt pile from the 3rd floor no one could really look in. But when the sun comes up there is really no way to keep the room dark.

Location is great. You are one block away from downtown, 5 minutes tops and you are at the Portsmouth Brewery area.

Bar at hotel is very small. Located on 2nd floor and overlooks harbor. Maybe seats 25-30 people max. Typical drink cost you see at major hotels,

Restaurant on site is a open concept that looks into the lobby. Ate dinner here and breakfast. Food was really good at both meals. Area looks like it could seat around 50 guests. However if you are looking for a quick meal this is not the place. Service is SLOW. Over an hour from the time we were seated/ordered before our meais arrived for dinner and at least 45 minutes at breakfast.

I like a hotel with a good restaurant and bar and this was a little bit of a black mark but still not enough to keep it from a 4 out of 5 range. Would go back.

South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Stayed here on business - good downtown location, easy to walk to downtown restaurants and stores. Fairly easy to find. Front desk staff were very helpful and check in/check out was quick and easy. I asked to switch to a different room type at check in. My request was accommodated and there were no problems. Nice fitness room as well as computer area. No charge for internet access in rooms. I was slightly disappointed with the room service breakfast, but it did arrive right on time. There was a $10 parking fee - I don't generally have a car to park when I travel, so don't know how that compares to other similar size places. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Was in Portsmouth for the weekend recently with my wife and we stayed at the Sheraton Harborside. The hotel is ideally located right on Market Street and just a short walk to the downtown shops and restaurants. The hotel lobby and common areas are beautiful with plenty of glass looking out over the harbor. We stayed on the top floor which was a restricted, club level with a club lounge that served a nice warm, full breakfast with eggs, sausages, fruit, toast, juice, etc. along with newspapers and flat screens. The room had a very comfotable king sized bed and nice amenities. The rooms were not that spacious but adequate in size for 2 people.

The hotel had a very convenient underground parking garage and even though they charged $15 to park it was easy to get in and out of and good for bad weather. Decent sized indoor pool and good sized exercise room with plenty of function rooms make this a good choice for families, weddings, and business meetings as well.

I recommend staying at this hotel!

Room Tip: Spend a couple of extra bucks for the top floor club level rooms, it was worth it.
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Ok location, clean rooms, etc etc. One desk princess, clearly taken with herself, when asked the single most challenging question of that day..."How much does the soda pop vending macjine cost" stared at me and in a most self affected tone---"I'd have no idea"---how plebian of me! Oh the responses at the tip of the tongue but she was 20-22, obviously ---and,well, her career had apparently acme'd.

Other staff very nice, and the parking is convenient. If one has to travel to Portsmouth, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Harborside Hotel Portsmouth, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Patrick,

Thank you very much for taking time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. We share this feedback with our department heads in order to continually improve our service. The question you asked regarding the cost of our vending machine beverages deserved a much more professional response and at the very least a warmer one. We will certainly address this with our front desk team.

That being said we are very glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest Regards,
Hotel Management
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

My company held our annual 2-day Sales kick off meeting in January 2012 at the Sheraton Portsmouth Harbor Hotel in Portsmouth, NH which included 120 + attendees. We have used other Hotels in the area for this annual meeting, but I must tell you that the Sheraton Portsmouth was by far, The Best meeting experience and hotel I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Every detail was the way I asked for it if not better, the entire staff was the best; very pleasant and professional, and the food was superior! And to top it off, the hotel was classy, beautiful, clean cozy hotel rooms and their location is perfectly located in historical NH Seacoast. They made me look great and my meeting was a great success! Thank you Sheraton for a Superb Job! We will be back! Peggy

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Harborside Hotel Portsmouth, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you so much Peggy! We enjoyed hosting your meeting here and can't wait to welcome you back. Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience here.

Warmly,
Hotel Management

Been to Sheraton Harborside Hotel Portsmouth? Share your experiences!