“Beautiful lakes” 5 of 5 stars

Pawtucket, Rhode Island
44 attraction reviews
“Beautiful lakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Lopstick Cabins on the First Connecticut Lake and spent a lot of the time cruising around the lake. It was beautiful and due to its size, not very crowded (although you did have to keep an eye out for the kids on the jetskis). We also hiked to the remote Fourth Connecticut Lake on the US/Canadian border. Very small but beautiful nonetheless. Highly recommend spending some time up in the Great North Woods and the Connecticut Lakes Region.

Visited July 2013

“One of my favorite places to get away.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I have been vacationing in Pittsburg in the Connecticut lakes region since I was 12. It now has a sentimental value to me, but the more often I stay there the more I love it. I am a nature and mountain lover. The views are breathtaking, with incredible sunrises and sunsets. The lakes are large, with beaches to swim in besides the fishing, boating, and kayaking. Above all, my favorite thing about this area is Moose Alley, which is the stretch of route 3 that runs from the end of the first Connecticut lake to the second Connecticut lake. If you go the right time of year you are guaranteed to see an incredible amount of moose. I was just there last week (beginning of June 2013) and I saw 20 moose (among bountiful other wildlife) over a period of 4 days! This area is perfect for the nature lover. Just make sure you pack your bug spray!

Visited June 2013
Royal Oak, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
“Connecticut Lakes Region of New Hampshire”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I’ve never been to Acadia National Park or Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom; however, I hear wonderful things and I’m sure they’re great. So I can’t really say if the Connecticut Lakes Region of New Hampshire is better than either of those. I can, however, say that this region is one of New England’s best-kept secrets and if you’re looking for a great spot for hiking, fishing, canoeing, or just getting away from it all, this place is tough to beat. I was there smack in the middle of the summer and wherever I went, most of the time I had the area pretty much to myself. Besides the natural beauty, that was the best thing: You really get away from the crowd.

I recommend hiking the Fourth Connecticut Lakes Trail that straddles the border between New Hampshire and Quebec. The trailhead is literally just beyond the gate separating the United States and Canada—it’s weird walking up to and around the gate and not having anyone stop you, although the officials in the border inspection building can look intimidating, even from a distance. However, if you’re in shorts and hiking boots and carrying a backpack they merely give you a disinterested wave.

After an initial climb up a rocky slope the trail is pretty easy, and, like I said, not very crowded—I was hiking and birdwatching for about an hour and half and saw only two other people. (It was a Tuesday morning, though, I’ll bet there are more on the weekend.) Stone markers indicate when you’re crossing from the United States into Canada and back again. The trail ends with an easy walk around tiny and tranquil Fourth Connecticut Lake. And the views coming back are great, with the rolling green slopes of the Great North Woods dominating the horizon. I can only imagine what it must be like in the fall.

I was in the area for only two days, so I barely scratched the surface of things you can do. I spent my other day kayaking on First Connecticut Lake—again, a scenic, peaceful time just getting away from my laptop and the worries of back home—and exploring the various trails in the area. I also took a few drives on Moose Alley around dusk, but wasn’t lucky enough to see a moose. But they say that particular road—Route 3 from Pittsburg to the international border, about 12 miles—is one of the best places in the continental United States for moose spotting.

So if you want to head up to New England for some scenery and adventure for three or four days, but don’t have your heart set on Acadia, or Mount Washington, or Stowe, consider the Connecticut Lakes Region. In many of the places you’ll go, it’ll just be you and the animals.

Visited August 2012
Montrose, New York
24 attraction reviews
“Simply Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Connecticut Lakes Region is so beautiful and peaceful. Much of the area is untouched and remains wooded. Great place to play in the snow in the winter and take in the fresh air in the summer!

Visited February 2013
Swanzey, New Hampshire
“Peaceful and pure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The scenery is refreshing. The lakes huge. Lake Francis and First Conneticut Lake have docks which are helpful. The fisherman are friendly and the fish plentiful. A must stay over for all.

Visited November 2012