“Very good food, wonderful space, okay service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Peterborough, New Hampshire
“Very good food, wonderful space, okay service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I live in Peterborough and The Waterhouse had been on my list for a while. For one reason or another, it took me more than a year after they opened to try it.

Aesthetically, the restaurant is wonderful. Situated right on the Nubanusit tucked in Depot Square in downtown Peterborough, it's a wonderful location. The bar and dining room are quiet intimate spaces, with simple wooden floors and the art is mostly local landscape photography. There is also outdoor seating on the patio, which overlooks the river.

I had the wild boar bolognese, which was very good. The other things tried by the small group I was with included their mushroom flatbread pizza and the steak frite, and everyone enjoyed their meal. We split a bottle of a South American merlot. For dessert, it was three scoops of different sorbet: Peach, Strawberry-Basil, and Mocha.

We went on a thursday evening, which happened to be a rather slow night for them. This is where our experience with the Waterhouse faltered a bit. The dining room was less than half full, but everything came very slowly. It was almost like the slow business that evening was a cue to the staff that they didn't have to be on their toes.

At one point, the host came over just to get our drinks poured, which really isn't the host's job. She was obviously a little peeved about that, but she never really addressed it with us or made it a priority to get the waitstaff more responsive.

Everyone was polite, and it wasn't as if this ruined our evening. Just a mark against what was otherwise a great meal.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Melvin Village, New Hampshire
“dinner at a nice location.... but service???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Location is good and outdoor diners enjoy a pleasant river view. Service was not up to par. Had to wait 45 min for appetizer. Food was so so. Not what we expected.

Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Location, location, location (and also tasty)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A friend made us dinner reservations for anniversary, and we were famous with the staff from the moment we walked in. Everyone made sure to wish us a happy anniversary, which was very sweet. The service was very attentive, but not intrusive, and the menu had a lot of interesting dishes (we tried the wild boar and the fresh pea risotto, which were both very tasty). We had a table right next to a full-length window overlooking the river, which was a really pretty view and made it feel like more of an "occasion" than the usual dinner out. I also had a really tasty basil-lime gimlet off their fun-looking cocktail list.

A couple constructive nitpicks: the windows are really gorgeous, but the fact that the outside was covered in cobwebs was kind of unappetizing (I heard the folks at the table next to us noticing it as well). Also, we asked to leave the gorgonzola off a salad, and the waitress suggested mozzarella in its place - it was definitely melting-quality cheese, not the fresh stuff, which wasn't really worthy of the otherwise very tasty salad.

But I don't want to end on a down note. The layout of the place was lovely, the service was very good (sincerely cheerful, which is refreshing to a Bostonian), and the menu gave me the pleasure of trying something I'd never had before. We wished we'd had time to stick around and try dessert!

Visited August 2012
Hancock, New Hampshire
“Meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I've tried The Waterhouse several times and have concluded I won't likely be back often.

Nothing I've had was actually bad, and some things were "pretty good". It's just that I have not yet found anything that's excellent or compelling. I've noticed that some of the things we liked in the beginning are no longer available.

Food is not very consistent and service can be spotty.

If prices were more moderate or quality and creativity higher, value would be more balanced. As it is, in my view there are better local places for the money.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bennington, NH
“Unexpectedly wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were a bit worried it would be quite expensive but were pleasantly surprised. We tried just dessert and coffee for our first visit and looked over their dinner menu. Couldn't finish my enormous (should have shared) brownie sundae. We went back about three weeks later for dinner. Wonderful...we will be returning often.

Visited July 2012