“A great restaurant (whether you're vegan or not!)” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Northwood
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
New Hampshire, USA
“A great restaurant (whether you're vegan or not!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

To begin with… my wife and I are NOT vegan. We’re not even vegetarians. An excellent meal for me often involves a great steak on the grill and a cold beer in my hand. So why would I write a “rave” review about a restaurant that has neither steaks nor cold beers?
Because the bottom line is… the food here is absolutely delicious.
My personal favorites are the burrito (tasty… could use a tad more heat) and the enchilada, which is, honestly, the best enchilada I’ve ever had. My wife loves the lasagna (their sauce just isn’t my style) and the tofu scramble.
That brings us to that 4 letter word – tofu. Trust me, the words “that tofu was delicious” had NEVER, ever, ever passed my lips. But… I have to admit… their “tofu salad” (think egg salad consistency) is really delicious, as is the pesto foccacia sandwich (which has fried tofu in it). There… I’ve said it.
Actually, my wife loves all of their tofu dishes.
As nearly everyone else has commented, their deserts are quite good. Their specials are generally quite good as well. Their soups are good, but not spectacular in our opinion. The service is always friendly and the atmosphere is very relaxed.
If we are heading to or from the coast (we don’t live nearby) and don’t have time for a meal we often stop and get a pre-made sandwich or two and a desert!
Final thoughts… it is BYOB. Grad a 6-pack at the Hannaford across the street before heading over. And… if you’re in a hurry… save your first visit here for another time. Service takes a while, busy or not. Still, if you enjoy great, fresh, expertly prepared food it is worth the trip and the wait.

• Visited August 2013

Kittery, Maine
“Great vegan food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Thank God for Susty's. We need more vegan restaurants around here like Susty's. Eat well and healthy, knowing there is no animal ingredients in the luscious food. Just fresh alternatives to meat, and even the vegan dairy spreads are better for you and taste better than cow secretion derivatives. A piece of the future is at Susty's !

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Israel
“Great vegetarian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a gem of a restaurant in an unlikely area. The menu was large, but not overly so. The food was tasty, and the staff very attentive. The portions were large enough, and seemed fresh. The restaurant isn't cheap, but isn't overly expensive: we paid around $20 for each family member.

• Visited August 2013
Dover, New Hampshire
“Great Vegetarian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Always friendly and accommodating staff. The hours of the restaurant can be confusing at times. We know they are open when we see the "open" flag flying out by their sign. We love going in to enjoy the specials they offer. My wife has food allergies that can be very challenging but the kitchen and wait staff are always helpful. They have started to bottle the lemon-tahini dressing, which we have been asking about for a year. We bought several bottles to enjoy at home. The restaurant is clean. Since the food is prepared to order, there is a considerable wait between ordering and receiving your food. It is fresh. We were surprised how much we enjoyed the kale chips. In the past, we have enjoyed the stuffed artichoke. A favorite dish of ours is the vegetable curry. We went to Susty's last week and the menu had changed for the summer. The vegetable curry and some other favorites were not on the new menu. The server said the new menu was the summer menu. Hopefully, the fall will bring the return of some of our favorite Susty dishes. Everything is good here. We love the spring rolls and fritters. The stir fry is always enjoyable. They have a desert case and offer food for take out. Pricing is what you would expect at a vegetarian restaurant. You pay for the quality ingredients and great flavors. We love this place!

• Visited June 2013
Concord, New Hampshire
“Sunday Afternoon Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife, a friend and I had spent the morning at a magnificently inspiring Permaculture homestead in Nottingham. On the way home our friend suggested stopping at Susty's CAfe. My wife and I had never been. As luck would have it there was a buffet that day. It allowed us to sample lots of different foods. All were great. The setting was simple and homey. The service was prompt, pleasant and knowledgeable. The space is fairly small. We were all deeply moved by the experience we had just had at a wonderful, sustainable, beautiful and real homestead. We were fortunate to go from one marvelous experience to another. If you find your way in Northwood , do yourself a favor and eat at Susty's Cafe. Whatever kind of day you were having, it will become better.

• Visited July 2013