“Go to The Weathervane Instead” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 11 Restaurants in Northwood
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dover, New Hampshire
“Go to The Weathervane Instead”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Johnson's Dairy Bar, which is attached to Johnson's Seafood and Steak Restaurant, is great. Johnson's SEAFOOD AND STEAK RESTAURANT is a different story, unfortunately. We decided to try the restaurant when my parents came into town for a visit. We arrived at the restaurant before the lunch rush (we were the first and only customers for about 30 minutes). We were seated in the back of the restaurant and it was CHILLY (~64 degrees)! We asked to have the heat turned up, but after waiting 15 minutes and the temperature not warming up at all, we had to adjust the thermostat ourselves. Our waitress did not inform us of any of the specials. We were given two loaves of bread on a board, the bread was dry and tasted not fresh, Our party of 5 waited about 25 minutes for our food and we did not see our waitress once during that time for drink refills or anything else. We received our food. The steak tips were well done (ordered medium); the prime rib was cooked anywhere from medium rare to well done depending on where it was cut into (ordered medium); the baked stuffed haddock smelled very fishy (returned). Someone came over to our table after we sent back the haddock, I can only guess it was a member of management, she did not identify herself. We ordered a ceasar chicken salad to replace the haddock. The chicken was very dry. We waited 20 minutes for that. By that time, everyone else was finished with our lunch. To the restaurant's credit, they did not charge us for the haddock that was returned or the salad that replaced it. We were very disappointed in our experience at the restaurant. We will not go back for anything but a frozen treat at the Dairy Bar. If you want good seafood in the area, The Weathervane is the place to go.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Orange Park, Florida
“Casual, family restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Good seafood, reasonable price. Casual, family atmosphere. Eat in or take outside to picnic tables. Also has an ice cream bar.

Visited June 2013
Newburyport Massachusettes
“Failed!! Watch the market prices!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Upon ordering I asked the waitress what the market price for the baked scallops were, she replied $14.99 so I ordered them. Upon receiving the bill she states that she made a mistake and had given me the lunch price and they were really $24.99 !! I was so blown away, I just nodded and accepted her mistake. However, she was completely in the wrong and I decided the best lesson would be to deduct the 10.00 mistake from her tip. The scallops were okay, but can't compare to the Cooper hill down the street that offers the same dish for $14.99!!! The steaktips were okay.
However, this is a failing review do to the fact that management sold their integrity for $10.00.
Also, beware that the kiddy sizes of ice cream are big enough for 2 people.
Would I return?? Possibly, if the Cooper Hill was closed.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Concord, New Hampshire, United States
“Nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My best friend has been telling me about this restaurant for quite sometime. We finally made a trip here. It was very good! The place was spotless, inviting, and the food and staff were exceptional! Definitely will go back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pembroke, New Hampshire
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were excited to go to Johnson's to celebrate a 60th birthday. Six adults and one 14 year old ordered meals. I started with the pork chops, but once they came out the first few bites were disappointing, over cooked, dry and tasteless. I asked the waitress to take them back. I then ordered broiled scallops; three of the other people ordered seafood plates and the other two ordered chicken plates. Everyone who ate the seafood has been sick with stomach issues since. My mother who chose to go there for the fried scallops for her birthday has now been in the hospital for almost three days. Johnson's has been a family favorite of mine for as long as I can remember, I can assure you we will never go back.

Visited March 2013