“Exceptional service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shel-Al

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Hampton
Shel-Al
115 Lafayette Road, US Route 1, North Hampton, NH 03862   |
Laval
“Exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

After reading reviews on almost all campgrounds in the Hampton Beach area, we chose to stay at the Shel-Al for our first visit to the area. With the exception of the state park, none of the campgrounds (to my knowledge) are within walking distance to the beach. That having been said, the location is fabulous, as the campground is only a five-minute drive away and is located near grocery stores and good restaurants. But what really makes the Shel-Al stand out is it's exceptional service. Everyone is friendly, accomodating and seem genuinely happy to have you there. I do not see myself staying anywhere else when I return to the Hampton Beach area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

We only had 1 night to spend near the ocean. I looked at hotels near and on Hampton Beach. The rates were $149-230 a night! ouch! We've gone camping earlier in the year and had a great time so I googled camp grounds near Hampton Beach. We found this one and decided to try it out. We traveled with 3 young children. We stayed one night at Shel-Al and spent 32.00 for a tent site. If you don't mind camping it's a great way to save on hotel costs near the beach. North Hampton Beach is only 3 miles away.

The staff at Shel-Al are super friendly and make you feel at home! need directions to places? They give great tips!

Our tent site was right across the playground. They knew we were traveling with children so they put us near the playground. The tent sites near the playground are 100-114. It was great because our 3 children went to play at the playground while we set up the tent. The camp ground was quiet and people were very friendly. Pets are allowed too. The only down side is that you have to pay for your showers with quarters.

We went to North Hampton Beach instead of Hampton Beach. I have been going to Hampton Beach ever since I was a young child but never went to Hampton Beach. North Hampton Beach was wonderful!! It's a smaller beach but less crowded. They do have some rocks at the beach which was great because we found a lot of sea shells. They have parking meters (the ones with coins unlike Hampton Beach). Our children loved it there. There isn't an arcade or many shops but to have less people and relaxation, it was a sure treat to find!

There are days when I feel Hampton Beach is way over crowed and the traffic there isn't much fun. If all you want to do is go to the beach for the day and avoid crowds try North Hampton or Rye Beach.

Shel-Al was a great camping spot and we want to try and go back again before the summer was over. Even though we only could stay one night, it was a great place to visit. They also have FREE WI-FI

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

This campground is wonderfully maintained and the staff (family) are without question the most wonderful folks we have met in a long long time. They are kind and giving and want to do all that they can to make your stay the most memorable one that you have encountered. This area of New Hampshire is lovely. The beaches are beautiful and the campground is so close to everything. If your travels bring you anywhere near Hampton, New Hampshire, the SHEL-AL CAMPGROUND is just the place to plan to visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

My husband and I have been going to Shel-Al Campground for well over 40 years. The campground is immaculately maintained and properly managed. The Luke Family has worked very hard over the years to provide a safe, clean, quiet and friendly family campground. The sites are spacious with grass and many have mature trees; the bathhouses are very clean and equipped with electric outlets. There is a beautiful playground area and a large game room well equipped. It is also close to the ocean and many surroundings activities including shopping malls and the Outlets in Maine. We often meet campers there like us who have been coming back year after year. This wonderful family really know how to make you feel "Home away from home".
It is now possible to rent by the week a trailer fully equipped for a family. This time, we have rented a trailer instead of bringing our tent and it was a marvellous experience for us. Our trailer was clean and comfortable and we enjoyed having a patio mat scrennhouse.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Mass.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Our summer camp, Camp Cambridge, does a lot of travel and camping trips throughout the summer with our oldest campers. Shel-Al is a campsite that we have been returning to year after year. The staff is incredibly courteous, the campgrounds are very clean and the experiences we've had there over the years have been wonderful. As someone who has stayed at numerous different campsites around New England, I place Shel-Al among the top of the list. We recommend it highly!

• Stayed July 2009
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Free WIFI, a spacious and well stocked game-room and close to everything you might want or need! I was looking for a reasonably priced place to park my Chinook while traveling up Rte 1. Despite warnings from family that I would get into trouble without reservations these folks were wonderful in meeting all my needs without batting an eye. I was provided with a shady spot well spaced with a picnic table, electric, water and sewer. There was a good constant breeze which meant NO BUGS! They even gave me a garbage bag and free morning coffee. The bathhouses were clean and ODOR FREE. The entire campground went silent from 10 pm to 8 am. They fell in love with my dog and treated her every time we had a reason to stop into the office so she is still pouting about having to leave. I totally would have used this as a perfect base camp to do all my Rte 1 exploring had I known they don't take credit cards. My loss!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Kennewick, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

We made the reservations for this site online through the campgrounds own website. Wonderful people, extremely courteous. They even emailed us a few days before our arrival to check in with us. Arrived at the campground and the staff ... I mean ALL of them were as friendly as a family reunion. Actually ... Better than some reunions I have been to. Anyway, after getting checked in they even guided us to our site by following one of the staff in a golf cart. He even helped guide us with backing the trailer into our site. At that moment we realized why ... I now know what a sardine feels like packed in a tin. Our space was so small that we could not open one of our trailer slides. Hence we had no use of the "living room" portion of our trailer. I have attached 2 pictures of the campground so you can see for yourself. The staff gets a full 10 for being ultra hospitable! The location is good for being pretty close (10 minute drive) to the ocean. But if you are looking for a place to hang out and relax with even a modicum of elbow room. You may want to look some more.

• Liked — The staff was amazing.
  • Disliked — Cramped like sardines.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shel-Al? Share your experiences!