“Heart warming stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Conway
Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Heart warming stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Buttonwood Inn was by far the best B&B. It was very clean and the attention to detail far surpassed our expectations. The owners were very warming and made us feel very welcome. Also, the food was exceptional. I would absolutely recommend the Buttonwood Inn to everyone. We will visit again soon.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

For it's age this B&B is in amazing condition having seen TLC from multiple innkeepers, the last 6 years owned by Bill and Paula. When you arrive, Bill gives you a guided tour showing you the amenities which include back yard, 2 living rooms, one with piano and fireplace the other with books, games, computer and big screen TV with a big collection of DVD's. You can take a DVD to use in your room.

Paula's baking is outstanding and aromatic. Fresh cookies are available in the afternoon with tea or coffee. One day she made coconut macaroons that were out of this world. Breakfasts are equally good and so filling you won't need lunch. They alternate sweet and savory and all food we got was delicious.

The rooms are very comfortable and have a few nice touches such as a jar of spring water, alarm clock with iPod charger, bathroom toiletries, and the very best quality towels. Their thoughtful touch is everywhere including instructions for the shower and DVD slot for the TV, guest book in the room, etc.

Bill serves the meals and is eager to assist with directions and tips for sightseeing, hiking or whatever you might like to do. He knows the area inside out. Paula can usually be found in the kitchen baking or cooking.

Although a bit pricy, after 3 days there, I found myself thinking that it was well worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to anyone who wants a B&B experience the way it was meant to be.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Beautifull location, Beautifull rooms and great breakfasts
Local knowledge from Bill was offered and readily available in printed form or by talking to them, a great fron ot house guy.
Room 10 is a beauty, so go for it if you can.
We had 2 nights there which meant we got to experience both a savoury and sweet breakfast... bth where the perfect size and delicious
Quite possibly the best Coffee I had whist in the states and the cookies for tea, well wrth the flight over on there own (ok well almost)

Room Tip: Room 10 is gorgeous
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We started booking late for our autumn trip to the northeast so we could only find room for one night at Buttonwood. The house and room were comfortable and clean with a fantastic view of the fall foliage. Sitting in the front room allowed me to meet people from many corners of the world. Bill and Paula were a excellent host with Bill giving us a tour of the house on arrival and Paula's cookies were just what we needed with a hot cup of tea on a cool misty day. The next morning breakfast was great and a good start to our next leg of our journey. Bill's recommendations of areas to go hiking were most beneficial.

Broussard, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Buttonwood B&B. The owners/hosts were great! Bill gave us an upgrade when we arrived since they were not fully booked. It was a great corner room with a fireplace. We didn't spend the majority of our visit in the room because we enjoyed sitting in the back yard and walking around the beautiful, well-kept yard. We also spent some time in the living room getting to know the other guests while enjoying our morning cup of Joe. The breakfasts are fantastic-all home cooked creations by Paula. Some of the highlights I remember-whole wheat banana pancakes, homemade sausage, omelets, and bowls of fresh fruit. It was not possible to eat lunch during our stay since breakfast is served around 9. It's a great location to access the Kancamagus Hwy and Mount Washington. The fall foliage was fantastic. Hope to stay at the Buttonwood again someday!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Buttonwood is just off the beaten track and sits in beautiful woodland that leads to a hilltop. Bill gives you a tour of the house when you arrive and the lounge is really cosy and a lovely place to relax with tea and freshly baked biscuits in the evening. The porch is a great place for sitting and enjoying the peace and watching birds, chipmunks and squirrels. Comfortable and clean rooms and freshly made (different every day) breakfast in the morning - cooked by Paula and served by Bill in a lovely dining room.
It's in a very good position for North Conway which has some great little shops and the Kancamagus Highway is great in the Autumn.

Parsonsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

You should know that I myself have never stayed at a bed and breakfast, my lovely wife on the other hand prefers them to any hotel in the land. When we arrived I thought the place was exactly what we wanted for our 3 day getaway and when I looked at her face, I knew it was. Without being long winded here is the scoop on Buttonwood. It sits on top of a very large hill or small mount how ever you choose to look at it. The place is beautiful with large hardwoods that were showing off their fall colors. Bird houses, wood lawn chairs, ceramic fireplaces around the grounds it is set up for a very peaceful stay and I should not forget to mention the hot tub around back. When we pulled in I asked my wife (the experienced one) what she thought and just looking at her and I knew we made the right choice. As we made our way to the front door I knocked (just felt like the right thing to do) and Bill met us at the front door. When we walked in we smelled the most amazing wonderful smell of baked goods and I asked what that wonderful smell was when Paula said I am baking maple walnut chocolate chip cookies for you guys. I may have the ingredients off a bit but I believe that is just what they were. Oh my they were so good and still warm. Bill showed us around and explained everything to us and even I, the non
B&B kinda guy felt right at home. Room 6 was very nice, it was a large room with a private bath, large comfy bed and another section of the room had a daybed, two chairs and the TV. Every detail was obviously considered and it was very comfortable. Downstairs was a large sitting room with the music room attached. Piano and guitar there for anyone who plays. Down in the basement was the large screen tv, very large movie selection and a computer for guests to use along with WIFI too. Now we spent most of our three days out visiting the mountains and we never got back before dark but we started each day at breakfast where Paula who is an amazing chef prepared a fantastic breakfast each day and Bill would give us weather updates and directions to waterfalls, covered bridges, Mt. Washington info etc. When we were wrapping up breakfast on our last morning Bill made a point to come to us and say thank you for visiting and Paula came out to say her goodbyes. I simply said to Paula that I didn't know what made them take up a project such as this B&B but it was the right choice. I can only say that my first B&B experience will not be my last. Thank you Bill and Paula for making our little getaway just perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise? Share your experiences!