“Great atmosphere, location, value” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 86 Restaurants in North Conway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Hingham, Massachusetts
“Great atmosphere, location, value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We read the reviews and decided to give it a go. The owner is friendly, a great greeter. The atmosphere is fun with an eclectic mixture of items hung on walls, from ceilings, etc. I ordered corned beef/cabbage dinner. Others ordered baked haddock w/bread crumbs, fried fish sandwich and a reuben sandwich. The corned beef was lean and plentiful with cabbage and fingerling potatoes. The only criticism was that it was in slab form. I prefer the thinner slices. The reuben was also in slab form. My mom had difficulty cutting and eating it. She prefers the thinner slices, too. The fish sandwich was fine. The haddock dinner tasted "off." When I mentioned this to the waitress, she was very receptive and sent the owner over who told us the fish came in that day "fresh." We are from Boston and eat fresh fish every week. I would fire their buyer. It's the taste that puts you off from eating fish for a while. They offered free desserts to all, which we declined. They serve an abundance of food, so there was no room for dessert. The owner packed me one and gave it to me at the door. They really are accommodating and their sincere warmth is part of the charm. I just wish they sliced the corned beef thinner and checked their fish for taste/freshness. I guess when you fry it, the funny taste disappears. No complaints from the fish sandwich.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Springfield, VA
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at May Kelly's while staying in North Conway. The night we went the area was experiencing torrential downpours, so all the windows in the restaurant were closed. It seemed very stuff and musty to me. It's decorated with lots of memorabilia and all the old items contribute to a smell that can only be described as Eau de Grandmother's Attic. I ordered the Ploughman's dinner with the steak cooked medium, and it ended up beyond well done, tough as shoe leather. It was very disappointing. My husband, on the other hand, enjoyed his haddock.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Methuen, Massachusetts
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

It was Girls week-end and we always said we were going to try May Kelle's Restaurant in North Conway and never got there. This time we went. It was everything everyone said it was~AWESOME! We sat at the bar til our table was ready. We got seated in the bar area.There was so much to see. I don't think there is any more space to hang anything on those walls. Everyone is so nice and always has a smile on their face. Let me tell you, the food was great. I ordered the chicken pot pie...huge portion...with a high flaky crust. Never saw anything lke it. My friend had the turkey dinner...you have never seen turkey slices that thick before. It wasn't deli meat, it was the real thing! To full to even look at the dessert menu.
My husband and I are going back at the end of October and you can be assured we WILL be returning to may Kelle's!!!!!!! Next time your in the area, give it a try...YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Shirley :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge UK
“Good food with live Irish music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Not typically 'Irish' in the British sense, but American Irish, we presume. The whole place was quite bizarrely fitted out with artefacts and Irish memorabilia everywhere. Our meals were excellent and some local folk musicians provided background music.

Visited September 2012
Apopka, Florida
“We enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were staying next door to May Kelly's at the Wyatt House Country Inn, so we walked over for an early dinner. At first, they asked if we wanted to sit on the patio and that sounded nice, especially with the gorgeous view. But, as soon as we walked out there, the lady said she had made a mistake because someone had reserved that table. Oh, well, not the end of the world. But, the air conditioner wasn't on indoors and it was a bit stuffy, at least for me. I just got a cheeseburger, which was fine. My wife got a fish sandwich that she liked. Our dinner was nothing special, but it was fine and the service was good. I am sure there are some house specialties that we could have had, but we wanted simple food, as we were ready to get back to our room and relax.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere