“Terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 hotels in North Conway
Boston
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My wife and I took our two young children here thinking the kids would really enjoy the waterpark. Although the rooms themselves were fine, our experience at the waterpark was terrible. There was a woman/lifeguard who oversaw the pool area whose conduct was simply over-the-top ridiculous. She yelled at every single kid using the waterslides. That is not an exaggeration, when I say every single kid - I mean it. She found something about each kid to yell at them about - and the manner in which she yelled at them was totally unacceptable. This wasn't simply a matter of her speaking to the kids because of concerns regarding their safety - that I could certainly understand. This was a woman who for some reason, was on a complete power trip. I saw an earlier review here referring to her as a "drill sargeant." I couldn't agree more - except that nickname doesn't do her justice. Her conduct was so extreme that she made the entire experience miserable for the kids leaving at least three of them in tears during the time that I was there. If you're looking for a fun place to take your kids - look elsewhere.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
I would like to thank you for your candid thoughts, concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your experience, which is why we sought out your group the next morning to discuss the situation. It can sometimes be a difficult task of balancing the rules, without compromise of safety. Not everyone understands the need for these rules, but we remain steadfast in our enforcement. I am pleased that we worked out a solution for your group that you found acceptable, prior to your departure.

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
West Warwick, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This is the perfect place to stay for a family weekend away! The pool slides were great for the kids, and my two boys, 11 and 9, loved the nightly activies like bingo, and cookie decorating. We were there for the Patriots game versus the Broncos, and we watched it in the great room area with 60 other guests, we had a blast!

If you don't enjoy your stay here it is your own fault!

We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for sharing with everyone, what a fun weekend we had. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed yourselves and we will look forward to your return. Perhaps a visit to Story Land this summer, or hiking in the White Mountain National Forest, good reasons to return. Take care!
Rochester, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My friend and I decided to take our kids to North Conway for the MLK weekend. I have been to North Conway several times staying in several different places along the "strip". This however was my first (but NOT my last) staying at the Hampton Inn. I book a 2 queen bedroom suite..I was pleasantly surprised when I entered the room. My family and I have time share and we mostly stay art resorts so I like my space but I was very pleased with the size of the room as well as the cleanliness of it. I will say that I was disappointed with the channel selections. However I do believe it is due to the access of it in the area in which they are and not due to the Hampton Inn directly. However I will say that they could off set the price of children's on demand shows so the children could have something to watch. The only child friendly channels they have is PBS (which doesn't show shows all day) and ABC Family which I don't find family friendly most of the time. My children LOVED the water park. I thought it was the perfect size just big enough but not to small. I liked that you could see all of the pool area from anywhere you sat. It was a great balance of activities for all ages..the bigger slides are great for older kids as well as adults and the smaller pool area is great for the younger kids. I will also say that I think they have to buckle down on who is let in to the pool area un attended. There was a 7 year old boy there( I asked him his age) with out his parents..he said that they were in the room and he was there with his 11 year old brother who was in the larger pool while the 7 year old tourmented little children in the younger side of the pool. I did bring it to the attendees attention however they didn't seem to be concerned. The boy was there for at least 2 hours un attended. It fell on other parent to discipline him and watch for his safety. I was very pleased with the breakfast they had to offer..as soon as something was gone they replaced it immediately. They also had great movies and nightly activities of the kids. We also were there during the 1st Patriots play off game and the great room had a great family feel to it as a lot of people (and kids) sat around and watched the game. Although it is a pet friendly hotel I don't think that all the pet owners respected the property. As I walked through the parking lot I must have stepped into dog poop..I didn't not notice it until I tracked it throughout my room. I was NOT happy to say the least considering I walked directly through the parking lot as well as the cleared walkways. I did bring the incident to the front desk and they immediately apologized as well as took my boot and cleaned it for me. I was very thankful that they took responsibility and cleaned my boot. My stay here was wonderful and I look forward to coming back (hopefully sooner than later)!!!! Thank you to all the staff at Hampton Inn for making my experience at your hotel a positive one!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful remarks. What we are most delighted about, is that we have won over some new guests, this is always our goal. We look forward to your return, and for spreading the word on our behalf. See you soon!
Northford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 1/1/12. The kids (* and 10) were very excited to use the waterpark. Well, it wasn't anything special. They thought it was too small and there was no where to swim. The only pool was the landing pool for the slides and you couldn't stay in there long. It was disappointing to them. A positive is that they allow dogs, so next time we may bring our dog with us! we would stay here agoin because it's a good value and now we know about the pool.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
We appreciate your candid thoughts about our hotel ,and your visit to North Conway. I regret that we disappointed your family, because we do not have a traditional swimming pool. Our water park features include two, three story slides, smaller slides for the younger children, and the watering mushroom. I hope that our service and facilities made up for some of your disappointment. We eagerly accept pets and waive any related fees. When traveling with all members of your family, to the Mount Washington Valley, we hope you will consider a return stay at our hotel!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I know Hampton Inn already has so many great reviews, but I had to add mine! The staff here salvaged what promised to be a terrible New Years trip!!

My friend and I decided to head up to North Conway for some winter fun over the New Years weekend. We had unfortunately booked a room at another Inn on the White Mountain Highway, only to get there and be absolutely horrified. Panic-stricken, we called up the Hampton Inn to see if they had any rooms. We spoke with a woman named Corra (spelling?) who was so accomodating. I have literally never dealt with a better person at a hotel before. She looked up rooms with us, waited while we got refunds for the other hotel, and then checked us in immediately when we got there.

We were already thrilled, but were even more impressed upon getting into the room. It was immaculately clean, huge, and had a nice flat-screen TV to watch the ball drop. The little kitchenette area with the sink was a lifesaver too! We stored pizza and drinks in there from the ride up to NH. I couldn't believe that we had such an awesome room on literally 3 minutes notice.

We didn't have time for the water park, but we did notice on our train ride that the Conway Scenic Railroad runs literally right behind the building. We had no idea! It is so quiet in there, even on New Years Eve. The last thing I have to mention is the fact that the manager has answered so many of these posts. I have never seen another manager answer good reviews. It just shows the level of care they give to their clients.

Needless to say, we can't wait to come back again and bring more friends!!

Room Tip: We had a king suite....it would be awesome for a family with kids. It had fridge and area for snacks...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We were thrilled at the opportunity to ring in the new year with you and your family. We hope that you can return and enjoy all that the Mount Washington Valley has to offer. Happy New Year!
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here for one night on Dec 23. We were in town for the Polar Express, but did not book a package through the hotel. We received a very friendly greeting when we arrived and were pleasantly surprised that were able to check into our room early (1pm) which allowed us to get settled and go to the pool before our other plans. Our room was fairly clean, just a few stray things on the floor, but no big deal. Our 2.5 year old son LOVED the pool and the two smaller kiddie slides. He's still talking about the "frog slide" and it was clearly the highlight of the trip for him. My husband and I couldn't resist trying out the bigger slides and were impressed with them as well. The free breakfast was great and we were really impressed with the selections. Overall we were very happy with our stay and plan to return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
We were delighted to host your family while you were in the valley enjoying the Polar Express. It is a magical time of the year for the entire family. We are pleased that you had fun at our hotel and in the Water Park. We hope that you make this an annual event for your family. Happy holidays!
Stratham, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed here as part of a 'Polar Express' package. Overall, the hotel was nice. We were initially given a room that had a very bad cigarette smell to it (despite all rooms being non-smoking). The room had been cleaned, so very surprised that the cleaning staff didn't alert the manager of the problem before the room was given to us, but we were given an upgrade to a suite at no cost, which was a reasonable solution.

The only major complaint we had was with the water park. There are no lifeguards on duty, only staff 'attendants' who sit near the door and guard the towels. My son, who met the height requirement for the 'adult' slides, is not a strong swimmer but wanted to use the adult slides with his older cousins. The pool depth was not over his head but he had concerns about getting swept under, so I stood in the pool at the bottom of the slide, off to one side, to allow him to grab my arm when he hit the pool. The attendant, who spent most of the time looking at a book in her lap, told me that I was not allowed to stand in the pool and that users of the slides were "required to be strong swimmers". When I informed her that the Red Jacket Inn up the street, which also has an indoor waterpark, has lifeguards stationed at the bottom of their slides for ALL users she told me that they charged more.

Ultimately, we were able to borrow a lifejacket so that my son could use the slides unattended, but be aware of this if you are bringing children tall enough to use the slides (42"+) who aren't strong swimmers. There is a 'kiddie' section with a small slide that adults ARE allowed to stand near, but for a 5-6 year old that wants to use the big slides this is not an ideal alternative.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments concerning a recent stay at our hotel. In general terms you seemed to enjoy your visit. You are correct that we do not have life guards attending the park, but rather attendants. They are there to enforce our safety rules, and to keep the flow of guests moving. We admit that we have numerous rules, one of which is that children may not be caught coming off the slides. While we are not hung up on rules, we are hung up on safety. We want your family to leave exactly as they were when they arrived. Children must be at least 42" tall and must be able to swim unassisted. While we were not able to compromise this safety rule, it seems as if it worked out for you in the end. We enjoyed having you as guests and look forward to your return.

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway? Share your experiences!