“YuckyCacaPoopies” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 86 Restaurants in North Conway
Cuisines: American, Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: This historic boutique hotel located one mile from North Conway Village on 33 private acres offers 26 guest rooms and suites for lodging, a Library martini lounge, and four dining rooms. The oak-paneled Library Martini Lounge features an oversized wood-burning fireplace, comfortable upholstered wing back chairs or leather seating, and an extensive list of martinis, cocktails, wines, spirits and beer starting at 5:00 pm. Executive Chef Avi Deiter has created a wonderful approach to dining at the Manor. It's elegant, yet casual, combines delicious culinary tradition with inventive new tastes and presents it all in a relaxing atmosphere enhanced by superb service and style. The menu features New England cuisine prepared with the freshest local ingredients including seafood, meats, produce, and artisan cheese. Menu items include Italian specialties served with fresh Manor-made pasta, artisan sourdough bread baked daily in a wood-fired oven along with many other Manor menu items including signature sourdough pizza.
Boston, Massachusetts
“YuckyCacaPoopies”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

The Stonehurst used to be a fine restaurant a decade ago. Now its either living off of that reputation or just given up trying to serve good food all together.

My wife and I arrived to a near empty dining room and were seated at the table right next to the only other diners in the whole restaurant. Why does that always happen? How about a table or two away so that we can have a little personal space?

The dining room was right out of Miami Vice with its aged white wicker and mauve napkins, I thought I had been transported back to 1983. The lighting was horrible. Even after our eyes adjusted you had to squint to see the menu.

It took 15 minutes before we had our drinks. The Lobster in Puff Pastry appitizer wasn't disgusting tasting, but lacked any lobster bigger than my pinky nail. The puff pastry itself was as big as a softball, but it contained maybe 2 tablespoons of microscopic lobster pieces. The cream sauce was just OK, but could have used more sherry.

We had had a big and a little bit late lunch at Horsefeathers (Go there early and get a seat at the bar before the buses arrive) so we decided to get a couple of wood grilled pizza's. 10 years ago, Stonehurst would never have considered serving WGP, but they have now definatly moved away from gourmet and have embrassed family dining.

My wife's pizza came without sauce, even though that wasn't mentioned on the menu (and it wasn't a white pizza or a clam sauce pizza or anything) so she just picked at the toppings. My pizza was slightly better, the homemade maple sausage was the best part about it.

The bottles of wine on the wine menu were WAY overpriced, so we thought to just get a glass of wine each, which ended up costing us $6.50 each from a bottle of wine that I know sells for $9. Thats a WAY to high mark-up.

The whole atmosphere at the restaurant was surreal. Behind us was a large table of Japanese diners, talking three times louder than needed, even though just about every other diner turned around multiple times and looked at them as if to say "Can you tone it down a bit folks?"

The table to our right had an English family that had a young teenage son who decided to eat his spaghetti with his fingers, dangling it above his head and sucking it down with a slurp. His parents thought this adorable.

The folks to our left became evry upset when told that they were out of the roast duck that night. "This is unacceptable" he said, "do you know how far we drove to get here just for the duck, I can't beleiev this!"

I felt bad for the waitress who aside from being a bit slow in getting our drinks was actually not bad and was dealing with 6-8 tables by herself.

Anyways, Stonehurst's best day are behind it. I'll look for a change in ownership before I ever go back their again.

Intervale, NH
“Good Food but Served with Attitude”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

My husband and I made a reservation and arrived in advance of the reserved time. A couple in front of us w/o a reservation were seated and then they put us next to a table with a crying infant. This was 8 p.m. When I asked for another table I was told they were completely booked. Needless to say we got up and left. For a nice evening out we do not expect to be serenaded by a fussy infant out well past her bedtime and have to pay for the experience to boot. Stupid parents and unaccomodating hostess. The food is very good but beware they are not particularly hospitable to their customers. This was not my first experience with pompous staff and I am a local.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Very rewarding ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2005

I belong to a women's luncheon group. We had a day of shopping in Conway, and decided to try one of the resturants that is a favorite of the "locals". We went to the Stonehurst and had a wonderful experience. The food and the service was superb. The atmosphere relaxing and gracious. A short time ago, I had the chance to take my grandchildren out for a special evening. We were going to dinner and the theater. I remembered the Stonehurst. I wanted this to be an evening that would be remembered! Everything surpassed my desires. The food was excellent, the service great. The Hotel and dining room is beautiful and elegant with out being intimidating. The children were treated as adults and had a wonderful time. They enjoyed meeting "Mr. Bigelow". A beautiful white cat that is one of the permanent residents! I reccomend the Stonehurst highly. It is worth the trip, even if it can only be for dinner!

A TripAdvisor Member
“a nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

I was there for New Years Eve expecting a wonderful evening. They imposed strict seating, for example, we had a single friend with nothing to do we wanted to bring along...they did not want to accomodate odd number tables. I asked my friend to call them personally to see if they would allow her to sit with us. She mentioned they had given her a hard time at first, but eventually relented. Well, that night, they sat us at the worst table possible, right near a swinging door to the kitchen. The hostess was completely rude to us. Later I found out we were the talk of the kitchen, everyone knew about my friend calling to see if they could accomodate three people...apparentely, it was a colorful conversation! I tried to talk to the hostess/manager to see what went wrong, apologize on my behalf and comment that I didnt feel it was appropriate that the entire wait staff was informed of whatever conversation transpired between my friend and whoever took the reservation, to which she rudely remarked to me that we were lucky to have a reservation.
I cant speak to what my friend said or believed was appropriate, but a place with such reputation should of still treated us with respect, and if they felt they could not, they should have asked us to not come to the restaurant... I never received such request and they did have my phone number and made sure to charge us ahead of time for the new years event...i gather they didnt want to lose out on the profit. They made my New Years a nightmare, spoiled our dinner, and showed that expensive restaurants do not equal great waitstaff....in general the hostess and waitstaff exhibited terrible customer service skills. This is just a summary of the behavior they exhibited. I would caution anyone to avoid this restaurant for any special occassion or otherwise!!