“Fun moose tour” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 19 Activities in North Conway
More attraction details
Owner description: Moose movie - Moose Tour - Moose fun ! We are a 2013 and 2014 Certificate of Excellence Winner from TripAdvisor. Ride along as we have some fun taking an evening 3 1/2+ hour MOOSE Tour. To begin an informative movie about New Hampshire Moose is shown. Most find it to be excellent. Some nights an actual Moose is seen while the movie is being played. That makes for a good night for all and takes the pressure off the driver early ! There's a bathroom stop where refreshments are available then the tour continues. Between Moose "hot spots" a slideshow of Moose photos with some fun Moose tunes is played. We are able to see and view Moose after dark because our Moose bus is allowed to use floodlights and spot lights to seek and see Moose at night. It's attempted to have this adventure enjoyable to MOOSE seekers of all ages, children and adults. Most will agree it is. Everyone is invited to disembark the bus when possible. Historically a success rate of over 96% is found May thru August with an average of 5+ Moose seen. Some tours see even more Moose and it's always great to hit double digits ! Fewer Moose tend to be seen in September and October, yet those months also can provide sightings of Bull Moose with full grown antlers - which is exciting ! Please understand Moose are wild animals and are unpredictable and that makes every tour different. It's attempted for all aboard to have a safe, fun and enjoyable experience... and return saying "we saw Moose !" So make plans to have this evening Moose tour be part of your North Conway White Mountains vacation experience and enjoy a night of Moose entertainment !
Uncasville, Connecticut
6 attraction reviews
“Fun moose tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My son really wanted to see a moose, so based on other reviews and close proximity to our hotel, we chose this tour. Be ready for a long bus ride (ours was 3 1/2 hours)! Elwyn did everything in his power to find us some moose! We finally saw 2 (well - the same one twice), which satisfied my son. Note that July 4th weekend isn't good for moose viewing - lots of traffic and fire works. The tour was really along major roads, which is evidently where the moose like to hang out. We expected to be trecking in the wilderness. Despite indeed finding us moose, Elwyn offered everyone on the tour a free future trip since we didn't see enough of them for his liking. Very classy offer. Note to parents with young kids - there are a few movies shown during the ride about moose that have some potentially upsetting scenes (an injured baby moose, for example), but it's high quality, educational content. Just be prepared to explain :-)

3 attraction reviews
“Incredible Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

One might say it isn't a "safari" because you are not physically in the woods. That's not true, you are! The roads (although highways,) are very remote, woodsy, with little traffic. I suppose you could try do it by yourself, but the tour guide has extensive knowledge and the necessary legalities/equipped van to do so (spotlights and lights attached to van) needed in order to not spook the moose. I have been on this tour 4 times and have seen moose every tour. 2 of the tours I have seen 5 plus moose, the other two I saw brief sightings of one or two. People have to realize they are wild, elusive animals. They do not make plans based on tourists! You are saving a lot of gas money by doing this, plus the expertise and equipment the driver has as I previously mentioned. You are much more likely to see one on this tour than on your own. It has moose music, moose videos, and of course, moose sightings. This tour is extremely fun and I would do it again and again!

As for safety, he goes quite slowly actually. On all 4 of my tours he was extremely safe, and very cautious, looking at every inch of the woods. Very remote territory. I feel very safe on the tour.

In conclusion, it was informative, and fun. It is something the normal person would have a difficult time doing legally. The normal person would have an extremely hard time seeing a moose as well. After all, the worse that happens is you get another free tour. This tour is the highlight of all my NH vacations.

Auburn
“Great Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I went on the moose tour at the end of June, we had a wonderful time! you can tell how my Elwyn loves what he does, and he truly wants everyone aboard to have the best time possible. I loved everything from the movies (very informative!) to the stop at the trading post, and of course looking for the moose! Unfortunately for us it was not a good night to see moose, but we did see 2 from a distance, and a black bear who may have wanted to join us on our tour! Elwyn is kind enough to offer a free return trip for nights like this though. Great company, and We will definitely be returning time and time again!

Visited June 2013
Columbia, SC
“Five hours and $60 to briefly see a moose's rear (and possible a cow)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Here are the facts from our night tour on July 3rd, 2013.

1. The 2 vans showed up around 7:20 PM although we were told to be at the railroad station no later than 6:40PM. Everyone showed up on time except for the tour guide. No explanations were given as to why such a lengthy delay.

2. We were warned this is our last chance to bail. Although he could not guarantee a sighting, he said they've seen a moose on every tour since Memorial Day. The guide mentioned that recent rain may have confused the moose's sense of smell however the tour experienced one of their best safari in the last week or so. Everyone decided to get on the vans.

3. We were told the tour will last about 3.5 hours and should be back around 11PM. It lasted almost 5 hours and we returned to the railroad after midnight.

4. The tour is called "safari". One may think we will go into the forest looking for moose. In fact the entire trip revolves around driving up and down the highway with very frequent and brief slow downs to try spotting the elusive moose. We mainly covered highways 302, 115 and 2 between Bretton Woods, the Twin Mountain Trading Post and Jefferson.

5. We got out of the van twice, both in the first hour of the trip. First to see the waterfall by the side of Hwy 302 (~5 min) and second for snack and restroom (~20 min).The last 3 hours were spent in the van doing safari.

6. The safari went like this: we drive on the highway in the darkness, the van slows down, the spot lights turn on and we are told "Look on the right, but mostly on the left" (sometimes it was the reverse), we will all stare really hard for about 15 seconds...nothing happens, nothing to see...then the van speeds up. This repeats again, and again, and again. At some point we come to an intersection we turn back and do it all over. For about 4 hours.

7. Every now and then we got entertainment on the TV. We watched 2 documentaries (really nice, best part of the trip in my view) and a slideshow on anything moose. We listened to moose themed songs and we got several minutes of very bright disco-like lights (the children seem to enjoy this).

8. Sometimes after 10PM we finally got our official moose sighting (I may have spotted a moose cow an hour earlier, so my count for the night could be 2). We saw the side and rear end of a well hidden moose bull munching on leaves. It lasted about a minute. We will spend the next 2 hours driving around until we finally were able to end the tour.

9. Before we got off the van our guide apologized for the experience and offered to let us do this again, free of charge, within a year. Yay!

After all this, my personal conclusion is that one will be better off trying the moose spotting on his own (assuming of course you have access to a car). Just drive up and down on highways 302, 16, 115, and 2 (it's all in a loop). The official visitor information radio station says the best time to spot a moose is in the summer months either 2 hours before sunrise or 2 hours before sunset.

You should be at least as successful as our safari tour (1 moose in ~5 hours) . You will save $30 per person and be able to stop anytime you feel like it.

PS The moose safari company operating from Lincoln joined us for most of the drive.

Visited July 2013
MooseSafariMan, Owner at MWV Moose Safari, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I'm sorry this reviewer felt the need to write such a review. I will attempt to respond. First all were told departure was to be at 7:30PM and to be at the station at 7:15PM. I have no idea where she got the time 6:40PM from. Its attempted to have the bus there at 7PM but a last minute issue caused the delay. Before departure I explained to everyone that Moose are wild animals and whereas Moose had been seen on every tour since Memorial Day weekend I am not able to promise that Moose will be seen. That was a honest statement.

On our Facebook page, North Conway Moose Safari Moose Tour, you'll find that on some earlier tours within a week some great viewings occurred, and some included all invited to disembark the bus and watch Moose from outside the bus. The next night, July 4th, all were invited to disembark the bus also. Had this reviewer been on one of these tours most likely this critical review would never been written.

I explained that return should be between 11 and 11:30. Again, just being honest here. Other tour companies advertise shorter tour lengths but it doesn't happen as advertised. Kinda a bait and switch tactic. They're not being honest whereas I am. And departure was underway on time.

The tour includes moose movie, slideshow, and documentary which this reviewer did say was enjoyable ! Most people find the movie excellent, the slideshow fun, and the documentary interesting. People go on this tour to see Moose and this night extra effort was needed this night so all got to see Moose. It occurred at a little after 11PM not 10PM and we were essentially heading back to North Conway after that. In her title she says a Moose's rear seen, then in the review she speaks of side and rear. The Moose was not "well hidden" and it was a lengthy viewing before it went behind trees. When the "cheer and clap" was lit there was a loud cheer and clap response by those aboard.

People were very pleased that extra effort was made and Moose was viewed. Again, referring to the Facebook page for that Tour it was posted that it was the latest return for any Tour for the year. Upon return I did provide a heart felt apology as far as more Moose not being seen and the late return... the response by nearly on board was "we saw Moose..." which tells me they were not so concerned about the late return but appreciative of the extra effort and the fact they got to see Moose. This person's response was to post this review.

The thing is had she gone on the Tour the night before or the night after quite possibly she would have posted a positive review rather than the one here. It seems the biggest issue to this reviewer was not more Moose were seen. She enjoyed the movie, she enjoyed the slideshow, she enjoyed the documentary. I too wanted more Moose to be seen that night ! And even though Moose were seen I still offered everyone an invite to take the tour again at "no charge", so a better experience might be enjoyed. I'm the only Tour operator that would do this. All tour companies have off nights but with the other companies you get nothing
Boston, MA
4 attraction reviews
“Spectacular and Fantastic Moose Hunting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was our first moose tour. We love this trip and saw 4 moose, black bear, and white-tailed deer. Elwyn was very personable and friendly. He drove the backup bus but it was comfortable and had music, a light show, videos, and glow-in-the-dark stars that kept us entertained when not searching for moose. On the way to the notch, he plays a very educational, informative and entertaining video on moose. We had a stopover for a short break at Trading Post and saw a black bear looking for food at the back. Then, we did have to drive back and forth for about an hour with no luck with moose sighting and we saw two white-tailed deer. But on the way back to Conway, we saw four mooses - 2 sister yearlings, and a mother and new baby on Route 302. Elwyn lets us out to get off the bus (with minimum noise - quietly), take pictures while shining a light on the moose. It takes "patience and persistence" to find the elusive moose. Thank you Elwyn for a fantastic night on this Moose Safari.

Visited June 2013