“Day train ride” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Viewing foliage
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy an old-fashioned railroading experience with all trains departing from an 1874 station in North Conway Village. Whether you choose one of the Valley Trains to Conway or Bartlett, or take the Notch Train through spectacular Crawford Notch, this is a journey back in time the whole family will enjoy. Valley Train Season: mid-April through December. Notch Train Season: late June through mid-October. Coach, First Class, and Dining Car options are available on all routes. Chilren under 4 ride free in Coach on the Valley Trains. Well-behaved dogs are always welcome.
Milford,Pa
119 attraction reviews
“Day train ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

My wife and I took the 5 hour train ride through the White Mountains. The views were great and the narrator was excellent when she spoke about the stories and history of the area.

Dracut, Massachusetts
61 attraction reviews
“It's fun, rain or shine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I am a rail fan and model railroader, so it would take a lot for me to be disappointed, and I was not.
The day we went it was showering, but that did not matter, 'cuz we were in a coach car. For those who wish better accomodations there were also a first class and a dining car available.
We took the "Pumpkin Patch Express" which went North towards Bartlett. At the far point of our trip the train stopped so we could all get out at a rustic cider mill/gift shop and the children could select a complementary pumpkin. It was great fun, plus the warm donuts we bought there were tasty on this gloomy weather day.
The car we were in (and by all appearances the other ones too) were, shall we say, "vintage". I don't see how a little paint inside would hurt.
As a real bonus one of the locomotives used for our trip was Boston & Maine F-7 number 4266. This is the same number as an HO scale locomotove in my collection. But wait, it gets better. They separated "Ole" 4266 from the train and took it to the turntable to change its direction. It was great to be close to it, to listen to the deep diesel rumble and see a turntable in operation.

Burleson, Texas
“Steam trains and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Great steam train experience. We road the train after seeing and hearing it pass our hotel. Worth the time and the cost for tickets. Got to love the whistle blowing at every crossing.

Strubridge MA
“Overall I was happy with the way we decided to spend our day.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We went up to North Conway in October 2011 and decided to take the North Conway Scenic Railroad. We purchased two coach tickets for the 5-hour Notch Train. It was a very nice day. The train car we were in was only about a quarter full which was nice because we were able to spread out. The scenery for the last half of the ride up to Crawford Notch was so beautiful and worth every penny we spent. Overall I was happy with the way we decided to spend our day.
A note on Customer Service: Don’t expect much. When we arrived at the station we didn’t know where long term parking was (FYI: it’s behind the station over the tracks) so I went up to the station and the doors were open when I pulled on the door the worker outside the station snapped at me that the station didn’t open until 9:30. I couldn’t actually believe that someone would take that tone with a customer.

Dallas
24 attraction reviews
“A great ride for train people.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

This was our day trip to New Hampshire during our weeklong vacation in Maine. It was a two hour drive from Ogunquit along winding, hilly roads. Had it been less rainy, the drive alone would have been magnificent. That would have been true of the train ride as well. For, although it rained off and on the entire train ride, we saw magnificent scenery.

Our first class coach had comfortable facing bench seats and a pleasant couple from Albuquerque who enjoy a train ride as much as us. Starboard has the best view going up the mountain. The same seats became port side with the view coming down. We were served lunch (extra) early and were treated to a nice (starboard) table in the dining car. My partner had a delicious Yankee pot roast. I had a very nice chicken salad wrap with pasta salad. I recommend the pot roast.

The trip itself is several hours. It was still a bit early for the foliage but lovely and entertainingly narrated. This may not be the thing for people who don't enjoy train rides for the sake of it. But for those of us who do, this is not to be missed.