“Love this campground” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beach Camping Area

The Beach Camping Area
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Conway
The Beach Camping Area
You added The Beach Camping Area to your Saves list
776 White Mountain Highway, North Conway, NH 03860   |
Taunton, MA
“Love this campground”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I read all the negative reviews after I stayed here, keeping in mind it is only one side of the story. It would be interesting if the campground owners could review the vacationers as honestly as the vacationers reviewing the campground. I am a high-maintenance person and the staff never lost their patience with me. I like the size of the sites, we pitch a tent on an RV site, fits our very large tent, our bike tent and our SUV with room to spare. We had a problem last year with our electricity not working and Jeff came up with a workable solution and everyone was happy. Other reviewers complained about privacy because of the lack of trees, a solution to that is put up a clothesline and hang your towels and blankets, problem solved. Campers in general are friendly people so we never had problem with neighbors.Other reviewers complained about paying for showers, you do pay for showers at any private campground, but the staff is very happy to change dollars for quarters if you just ask. I like long hot showers, I never ran out of hot water and when I put in 2 quarters I find myself waiting for the water to shut off after I am done. The fire pits are the best size I have seen yet, and our cooking grate fits on it perfectly. As far as the reviewer complaining about the lack of a swimming pool, this campground is on the Saco River, you can swim in the river. We have stayed here more than 5 times in the past 2 years and have no complaints.

Room Tip: I don't want to give up my secrets then my favorite site won't be available next time I want...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Norton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Like one of my fellow reviewers below, I was among a group of visitors to the Beach Camping Area on the fateful weekend in mid-August 2012 when the rain just wouldn't stop. But I am not here to complain about the weather (it actually turned in to a decent weekend after the Friday night deluge).

The proprietors of this establishment were entirely unhelpful on the phone preceding our visit, especially when it came to explaining and quoting their pricing. Upon check in we were charged more than we had been told. People who I didn't know were checking in next to us and also arguing about this very issue. We had two additional adults on our site for two nights, and $10 per person per night. They attempted to charge us $80 for them. When I corrected them that the actual charge would be $40 the woman used a calculator to confirm. Yikes.

Beyond that, they never should have allowed us to set up on our original site given the conditions and the flash flood warnings. Sure we should have considered them as well, but we'd never been camping before and the people running the place assured us everything would be fine. These reassurances continued even as the water continued to rise.

It became clear that profit was priority number 1 for this business, and customer safety was at best a distant second. Lucky for us, and unlike my fellow reviewer, we evacuated ourselves (and our stuff and our car) to another, higher site before the worst hit later in the night. Again, this was at our own discretion, not at the urging/suggesting/advice of those in charge.

With all the campgrounds in and around the White Mountains, why anyone would choose to support this establishment is beyond me. On the bright side, they were able to make change for a few dollars so I could take a shower and dry my clothes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Douglas, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We just returned home a day early after getting flooded out (water 1/2 way up car doors) We were with a group and had 3 sites; I understand that they have no control over weather, but when we asked if we should evacuate they said no.... 2 hours later and 1/2 hour before dark, we were told to evacuate to a gravel parking lot (overflow sites 99A & B - notice we had 3 sites (prime tent sites) and down to 2 (gravel parking lot) without refund or adjustment in cost; there wasn't a picnic table and only 1 fire ring). It was too late to move in the dark & rain; most of us either slept in our cars or took a chance and stayed in the tents. Everything we owned was drenched & we were leaving. These are my issues:
1.) They knew the site had a history of flooding and waited much too long to evacuate. I asked for a voucher to be used next year and of course the answer was "no" and said with a smirk. Really don't you think we're miserable enough?
2.) We purchased 4 bundles of wood there... still shrink wrapped. $18.00 I asked if we could return the wood for refund and was told no.

I thought the way they conduct business was extremely unacceptable and will never stay there again. They do not value their customers what-so-ever.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Center Harbor, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

It starts with the awful unfriendly staff on the phone and at the campground. They lost my credit card information and told me it was my fault and then rebooked my sites over my booking. They did nothing to help me fix it and when I told them to help me fix it, the owner said "stop running your mouth off lady". I have never been so insulted in my life. If this is how they treat their customers over the phone, how do they expect to get business? POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NO POOL! Thumbs DOWN!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lowell, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The Beach Camping Area in North Conway, has been my favorite camping area since I was a child. I would camp there with my family and then when I was married and then with our children when they were 2. What has drawn us each year is certainly not all the upscale ammenities but it's wonderful location to local attractions, the prime location on the Saco River and the amazing life long friends I have made. Last year the campground was devestated by Hurricane Irene fight before Labor Day and unfortunatley were closed down for a bit. They have since re-opened and we spent Columbus Day weekend there. I for one don't look for all the bells and whistles and I completely enjoy the small atmosphere of this campground. We will be coming back for many years to come! :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Hanover, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Put it this way, the night I came home I realized it was quieter in my house than at the campground. It was totally geared towards RVs, in fact we were crammed between two of them. We had four adults and were charged double for our site (yes $88/night). The website indicated $10 for each additional adult, but when we ? it there was no compromising. I found it hard to believe we were using more resources than the 34" RV on either side of us. On top of it all we had to pay for the showers, the wood was wet and it was noisy. My children who have a far lower bar to reach enjoyed being able to ride their bikes around and popping down a few rocks to swim in the river. I would far more recommend camping in a state park where there is privacy. If you are looking for a trailer park atmoshphere, book now...otherwise keep looking.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
new england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

My extend family has been camping there since the 90's. My husband and I tend to go back every year since 1996. Last year we took a family camping with us and they enjoyed the campground. I have never had a problem with the campground and actual find the prices cheap compared to other campgrounds we have stayed at in the past. The campground is small and it's very clean. We also have never had a problem with the staff/new owners. As stated before, the campground is small it is not a large campground or a resort campground. With that said, you either like it or you don't but you'll have to find out for yourself on how you feel about it. The rules must be followed at this campground. At night someone comes around to put your fire out with water when its time to put the campfire out. Due to safety reasons with small children cars must drive 5 mph. I have stayed at other family campgrounds in Mass where cars must also go 5 mph. I love it and keep coming back because it is a family campground. If you are a young crowd without kids I would not recommend this campground. I have stayed at other campgrounds on Route 16 and did not enjoy them. I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite campgrounds on Rt 16 in N. Conway

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Been to The Beach Camping Area? Share your experiences!