“Just Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Pleasant Lake

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New London
Inn at Pleasant Lake
You added Inn at Pleasant Lake to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   853 Pleasant Street, PO Box 1030, New London, NH 03257   |
Ranked #1 of 6 New London B&B and Inns
London
“Just Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed for three nights and hope we will get the opportunity to visit again. The area was so peaceful and tranquil and we enjoyed wasting time just sitting on the patio looking over the lake. We made time for a couple of quick paddle trips onto the lake and of course enjoyed the fine dining experience. I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

853Chef, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
I enjoyed meeting you. Thank you so much for the sweet review. I am glad you were able to rest on the patio as well as get out onto the lake for a paddle. The lake can be so incredibly peaceful, especially in late May and early June. September is another month that is spectacular. Many of the summer people go back to their busy lives and you can find yourself all alone on Pleasant Lake with perfect weather. We all hope to see you again someday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Farmington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I spent just one night at the Inn at Pleasant Lake and will definitely return. Upon arrival we had a nicel variety of cheese and crackers with tea or juice. The location is close to the center of New London and close to route 89.Rooms were well appointed; I stayed in room 1 with a spa tub and nice seating area . The common rooms are very inviting with the front room having a nice view of the lake. It was a rainy day and I was disappointed that it wasn't nice enough to enjoy the beautiful patio. All staff members were helpful and friendly and the chef was not only informative and entertaining as he told us about the dinner we were about to eat but then delivered with a wonderful meal. The salmon that I had for my entree was the best I have ever had! Breakfast was delicious ; we had french toast but they were happy to make eggs . Highly recommended!!

853Chef, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review for the Inn. I wish the weather was better during your stay as the outside patio is very relaxing and therapeutic. Sometimes I try to sit outside to take in the view and tranquility. For me, however, my mind wonders to my constant to do list. Thank you for staying with us and dining with us. Next time we'll hope for perfect weather.
Sincerely, Brian MacKenzie Chef / Owner
New London, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I am reviewing the dining function of this amazing locale, as we did not stay here but were treated to one of the best two or three dining experiences ever. We had received a gift certificate to the Inn as a wedding present, and we decided it was time to enjoy the epicurean creme de la creme in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.

First of all to consider. You don't make a reservation here to eat and run. Plan at least for a five hour culinary experience. Prior to arrival or during the reservation procedure, dinner guests are queried as to dietary intolerances and restrictions to ensure a flawless experience. Guests are encouraged to arrive at around 6 PM, get a drink at the bar, and engage in placid conversation with the other cosmopolitan dinner guests and suite guests having dinner at any of the two expansive outside patios overlooking the spectacular lakeside scenery, or if during inclement weather, in the several parlors on the lower floor. During that time, one of the Maitre D's will discretely approach the guests, menus in hand, and seek their preferences for wines and the several entrees available. At around 7 PM, the Executive Chef softly rings the dinner bells and summons the guests to the hearth room for a 15-minute briefing on the delicacies to be enjoyed. Each course is described as to its origin, savoring, spices, and presentation. Guests are then ushered by parties to their appointed seats.

We began our faire with Mini pikelets with smoked salmon to cleanse the palate before the amazing Lobster Bisque landed on our table. This was thick, reduced bisque sporting the chunks of superbly tasting lobster tail pieces. I tasted a little as I am lactose intolerant and the Inn made a point of cooking a fresh Tomato Bisque for me. A few minutes later the house salad came, seasoned with pistachios, walnuts and a finger-licking balsamic dressing. Home baked bread was abundantly available throughout.

Next, a little cup of sorbet was served to cleanse the palate again prior to the piece de resistance, which for both of us was a delightful tenderloin served with risotto. The meat did not need a knife to be cut it was so tender. One of the best pieces of meat ever.

We washed our dinner with a top of the line Rioja wine that paired well with all the other courses.

Dessert was a house made Crème brûlée and a tasty espresso.

Between the service, the conversation, and the spectacular scenery, we ended up leaving at 11 PM.... What a wonderful evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

853Chef, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review. We love travelers and diners from varying travel and dining backgrounds. For the restaurant, I love to have guests that get into the whole experience from cocktails to coffee. We want the atmosphere to relaxing and for our guests to have no pressure. People have enough pressure when out in the world. The inn is a place to be pampered both as a dinner guest as well as an inn guest. I love flavor blending, garnishes and textures that make the courses unique. We want all of our guest to leave each time having great memories of their dining experience or their overnight stays. Thanks again, Brian
Litchfield, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed at the Inn the first weekend in May. It was warm and welcoming. The room was lovely, comfortable, and decor was simple but inviting. I stayed in Room 5 which had a queen bed and a separate seating area that could be closed off from the bedroom. Although I came here on a girls fishing weekend, the visit quickly expanded to include a culinary delight. Chef Brian MacKenzie is an amazing and accomplished chef/host. Yes, Mr. MacKenzie wears multiple hats, and his engaging smile and demeanor makes you feel welcomed and at home. I loved his evening "presentation" before dinner during which he welcomes his guests and explains the entire dining experience you are soon to enjoy. What a relaxing and somewhat decadent experience. Can't wait to visit again! Highly recommend it. P.S. We didn't catch any fish, but did enjoy paddling around on lovely Pleasant Lake located right across the street from the Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the staircase are quietest.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
853Chef, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
I loved to see you two here for the fishing weekend. Sorry you didn't catch any fish. I am glad you two were able to experience the inn during our transition to summer season. This time of year can be the most relaxing as you don't have to deal with many people, except for me and the staff. We truly love our lives as innkeepers and cooks. When people leave the inn happy and excited to return, we feel that we have helped our guests experience what we feel is so special about this area as well as the inn, itself. This place has been entertaining people since 1868 and I believe has a lot more entertaining left to do. Thanks again for your visit. Next time there may be a fish for you. Sincerely, Brian MacKenzie Chef / Owner
Charlestown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here on several occasions. My absolute favorite inn. I always feel as if I'm coming "home" when I stay here. The staff are so gracious and helpful without be over bearing. Views of Pleasant Lake and Mt. Kearsarge are visible from most rooms as well as the 4 season porch and the patio. Breakfast is always a delight and you must try one of Brian's amazing dinners at least once in your lifetime - one of the most extraordinary dining experiences I've ever had. The Inn is a relaxing bit of heaven that's a quick drive to downtown New London or Mt Sunapee.
Perfect for a romantic retreat or girls weekend.

Stayed November 2013
853Chef, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
The home feel is the emotion we want people to feel. Home as in, I feel very comfortable there. Of course there is the other HOME feel: laundry, dishes, yard work, bills, kids, clutter, dust, paperwork, cleaning and more cleaning. We like to do that stuff for you. Our home feel likes to remove you from all those thoughts and move you to reading a book, doing a puzzle, going out for a paddle, sitting on the beach or napping on a chaise lounge listening to music, having a cocktail on an gliding chair looking at the lake. Anyways, thank you for your review. We hope to see you again soon. September is incredible. Sincerely, Brian MacKenzie Chef / Owner
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Spent one night at the inn during the week after Christmas. We stayed in room #12 which is a Jr suite. The room was nice - a King size bed would have been better, but we knew that wasn't going to be the case going into it. The room has a small two person couch and coffee table for relaxing. Bathroom was nice but the shower head was way too low - I'm not even 6 feet tall and it wasn't a great showering experience. We were there just to relax and didn't do any skiing or outdoor activities so I can't comment on that. Seems like there are plenty of options though.

We did have dinner at the restaurant which was good, but I did not find it to be as amazing as some of the other reviews. I have no real complaints, but I would not compare it to higher-end restaurants in urban locations. For what it was, it may have been slightly overpriced, but still good. And I'm sure much better any dining options anywhere near the inn. The potato soup was excellent (and that dish actually was comparable to high-end restaurants).

We did have lunch at the Flying Goose pub nearby which was a great brew pub with good feed and craft beers.

Overall I think this is a very nice option for a getaway that is not too far from the greater Boston area. I would return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
853Chef, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review. Feedback such as yours is great for us to get the perspective of the guest staying in our rooms. As far as dinner, I thank you for your insight. I tend to be a humble chef with many hats. Your comments, although not specific, help me to refocus and consider the needs of our target market and challenge me as a chef to get to the next level of the high end city restaurant. During the winter months, I always dream of the great summer vegetable bounty available from our local farm. These summer vegetables always liven up the flavors and offer many additional garnishes. Thank you again for your comments. Sincerely, Brian MacKenzie Chef / Owner
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Sadly we visited on a Monday when the much praised restaurant closes. But nonetheless we had a very enjoyable visit. It was a sunny late May afternoon and we went for a row in the Inn's boat on the aptly named lake surrounded by silence, trees and hills. The building, the setting, the rooms and the beautiful furnishings combine to give a an experience of luxurious seclusion.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Pleasant Lake? Share your experiences!