“Yummy Ice cream & Great Family prices” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Johnston, Rhode Island, United States
“Yummy Ice cream & Great Family prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

As a family of 6 it can all add up fast. We went with only ice cream intentions but stayed for dinner! Food was good and price was right!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Huge portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I will second the reviewer that stated this restaurant is in New Durham, not Durham.

The portions are huge you will not leave hungry. Skip the bread before the meal, it is basically a seeded hamburger bun. Chicken tenders and steak are very good. Ice cream is excellent and also huge portions.

My biggest issue with this restaurant is the noise. It is all wood and hard surfaces and the echo is awful, especially in the small area in the back. You will need to yell to be heard to your companion across the table.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wolfeboro, NH
“Meals are ok, ice cream is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The restaurant food is typical diner or american style (burgers, grilled cheese, chowder). The ice cream, however, is where this place shines. I do not recommend buying any cone larger than a small however. I saw someone order a large, and I swear they brought them a quart of ice cream and a spoon.

Visited August 2011
Belmont, New Hampshire
“Great for Ice Cream and Seafood!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

First let me point out that this restaurant is located in the town of "New Durham", not Durham. New Durham is a small town in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire, Durham is the home of the University of NH and located nearer the seacoast.

Whenever I have one of my infrequent hankerings for fried seafood, I always find my car pointed to Johnson's. If you want large, tender and sweet sea scallops you won't find them any better than right here. My wife is a big fan of their fried clams. They serve good-sized portions but I do think their prices are just a little high. On the other hand, if you want their ice cream, those portions are huge and those prices are very reasonable so I guess it all balances out

One last note, their pies are all baked on-premise and are always served with a scoop of ice cream, Yum. They have a cabinet of their delicious baked goods for sale as you walk out, so it you just wanted to try one of their baked desserts but didn't have the room...you can take one home for later.

This place is usually very busy at dinner hour and most of the time there is a line waiting to get in. Both locals and tourists eat here. To avoid the crowds, I usually try to go outside the usual dinner hours. The staff is less stressed and there is no waiting. I usually visit this place 3 or 4 times a year and I have always enjoyed the meal.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Barnstead, NH
“Not worth the time or money!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

The service has always been fantastic however the food is bland and tasteless. We are a family of four and not one of us enjoyed our food. We will avoid that place!

Visited June 2011