“EXCELLENT Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in New Castle
Norwalk, CT
“EXCELLENT Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed two nights for a conference and found the hotel to be exceptional. Third floor room with a small deck (standing only). Room very nicely appointed. If I had to complain about something, I wish there were more plugs by the desk.
Beautiful view of the estuary, the tall pines, and with a little light snow, quite magical.
Only $5/night to valet. BARGAIN!
The pool was clean and warm. Lots of towels and cold water. Inside hot tub a bit too hot, but outside hot tub was beautiful, lightly scented with something herbal. Could have been just a bit cleaner (some sand, but I guess that is to be expected with an outdoor spa tub).
Food service for the conference was excellent. White glove service at lunch was impressive.
SALT, restaurant and bar was terrific. Had a wonderful dinner in the main restaurant, although I was a bit far away from my partner (table too long for two people). The menu and a tasteful variety of items from flatbread($10) to lamb shanks $36). a glass of domaine chandon for $10; I thought was a bargain.
Conference price for a Sunday night and Monday night was $129/night.....I understand the prices can be much higher during peak periods. I thought this was an unbelievable bargain.
Loved it!

Room Tip: Higher is probably better for the view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

858 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have vacationed several times at the Wentworth and we love it. In particular, two staff members distinguished themselves on our last trip this past week. Lemroy McLean , restaurant manager, and Trevor Cross at the front desk are terrific and excel at their service orientation and making us feel like valued guests. Bravo.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stopped in for Sunday brunch and found it to be quite nice. We were a party of 11 and all enjoyed the morning meal. On average the dress was business casual or above. There were a few in jeans and sweatshirts but a very few at that.
The atmosphere was nice. Jazz musicians playing away in the background. Not too loudly but just enough for pleasant background music,
For a buffet the food was very good. Everything i tried was good quality and cooked well. I found no dry chicken or cold eggs or anything that was off. A quick rundown of food available but by no means all inclusive list.Shrimp cocktail, smoked salmon, oysters on the half shell, roast beef, turkey, fish, an assortment of fresh fruits and veggies, omelet station, and all the usual selection of breakfast items and some great deserts.
The service was excellent, the restaurant and bathrooms were very clean.
I'll go back again sometime..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Lyme, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Had reservations for four nights-left after two! The restaurant was just awful. Service was non-existent. Food was mediocre. The spa was a huge disappointment and the staff was extremely rude. NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN!

• Stayed December 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is by far, hands down, the best hotel you're going to find near Portsmouth, NH. Even in the dead of winter, it was everything we could ask for and then some. When you stay here, you're not really close to town, per se, but you don't need to be! The restaurant, Salt, is fantastic, and when the breakfast buffet is running (it will be if the hotel has a certain occupancy rate), it's an excellent value. Otherwise regular breakfast was also a real treat.

If you're looking for a gym, this one is above normal hotel standards, and the spa is excellent. I can't wait to go back when it is warmer and take full advantage of the amazing facilities!

Room Tip: Some rooms had heated floors in the bathroom that were controllable. I'm pretty sure mine did no...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We were very disappointed since we were looking forward to what we thought was going to be a relaxing vacation. It was obvious when we arrived that yes there are boats and water but it is just a view. Our room, quite expensive, was overlooking the back parking lot and dumpster. I could not get a spa appointment and we had the feeling that we were outsiders at an exclusive country club. The wait staff was so intrusive with the million questions and much too phony friendly affect. The only saving grace was the doorman who was genuinely helpful.

Room Tip: Important to ask for a front room otherwise overlooking dumpster
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Trevor C, Front Office Manager at Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you Joan for sharing your comments about the Wentworth by the Sea Hotel. We try our best to provide a unique experience to all of our guests and it appears we were unable to exceed your expectations. As we are on an island, all of our rooms do have a view of the water although some rooms can be more desirable. I apologize if your room was not to your liking. I also understand your frustration with spa bookings. We do try to keep appointments available to hotel guests, although we are know as one of the best spas in the area and locals often visit for that reason. Lastly, the staff in the restaurant should in no way make a guest feel uncomfortable. I will pass your comments on to the dining room manager to ensure a friendly atmosphere in SALT. I know I cannot change how you feel about your previous stay, but I would love to host you again in the future. I would be happy to offer personal assistance with reservations to give you that unique Wentworth experience that we are known for. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further comments or questions. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Best regards,

Trevor Cross
Hampstead, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have mixed feelings about the Wentworth. A 2.5 or fair rating is where I would put it considering the price. The hotel and staff were nice. The service and food at Salt was very good. The room itself wasn't very good. Cramped, bare walls, very few and tired appointments. I've stayed in nicer rooms elsewhere for far less money. Between the banging heat and the bustle from the housekeeping station next door starting at 6AM, sleep wasn't very good. I have to agree with another reviewer,maybe booking a spa package gets you the less desirable rooms. I'd recommend visiting just to eat or to check out the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Trevor C, Front Office Manager at Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. Our rooms do have a certain old-world charm to them, however we often receive positive feedback on the décor. We do have room renovations on our radar within the next year to update the entire look of the hotel interior. I can also assure you that in no way does booking a package have any relation to room assignments. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Should you wish to return, I would be more than happy to offer personal assistance with reservations and see to it that you are in a room to your liking. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly for future inquiries.

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!