“Nice Hotel with Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Providence, RI
“Nice Hotel with Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at the Wentworth for a business conference in early November. First, I'll say that, from the viewpoint of an attendee, it's a great venue for a small conference (about 150 people), and the catering was excellent.

As for the hotel as a hotel, the room I had was very comfortable, with a king bed (and tons of pillows - I think six!), a good-sized desk and sitting area, and a good-sized TV. The bathroom was really nice, with a lot of room to maneuver, and the shower was fantastic! The staff at the front desk were very friendly, and they gave me a little extra time for check-out, which was nice because the timing of the end of the conference was not ideal!

The lounge area/restaurant is really nice and cozy (with a fireplace!), and you can order from either the bar menu or the full restaurant menu. And the bar/restaurant staff are also super nice, as are the catering staff. In fact, for one night of the conference, we had a catered buffet-style dinner, and there were very few vegetarian options. I asked one of the catering staff if a specific dish was vegetarian, and not only did she go in the back to find out right away, but the chef made me an entire vegetarian plate without my even asking! Very nice service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Easton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had a very nice time over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was extremely busy in the main hotel. We stayed in the Marina Suites, which are located right near the main hotel. Overall, I would say the hotel was very nice. My wife and daughter used the spa facilities and really enjoyed the manicure and pedicures. Both raved about how nice it was. The suite was very spacious and clean. We had everything we were looking for in a getaway. Room service for dinner was great. The food was fantastic. The only down sides would be that the hotel seemed/felt very busy. When we initially went to the dining rooms, they were overwhelmed with guests, and we had no hope of eating there (hence the room service, which turned out to be a great alternative. Thanksgiving dinner was equally busy, but nice. It's a bit pricy for what you get.

Room Tip: The marina suites are very spacious.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Wentworth over the Thanksgiving holiday and booked the Thanksgiving package. When we arrived the lobby and restaurant area was very busy. When checking in at 3:30 I asked what time dinner was and they asked me if I had a reservation. I ended up not getting a reservation until 8PM- This wouldve been nice to know weeks previously when I booked it. The hotel was very clean, loved the pool and spa area. The room was small but up to date and comfortable. Had a waiter and 2 waitresses- all somehow got our orders wrong and seemed very uptight. The food was great even though it wasnt what we ordered. Upon my return I realized I left a bag hanging on the door in the bathroom and 4 days later in has not appeared:( The hotel and surroundings are beautiful however they need better service and staff that doesnt steal from guests to keep people coming back.

Room Tip: bring your room key when going to the outdoor hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WentworthByTheSea, General Manager at Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the feedback regarding your stay at the Wentworth. We do understand it was a very busy Thanksgiving day and apologize for the inconvenience that placed on you and your family. I assure you that all matters will be addressed here at the hotel. We would appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay, so look forward to speaking with you.
Michael O'Shaughnessy
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay at this beautiful property on a few separate occasions. While I visited during Easter and Father’s Day with my family, the most memorable trip was celebrating my fortieth birthday with three of my college girl friends. I am a Marriott Rewards member and enjoyed the ambiance of this historic and unique property while still getting the service and reward perks of a hotel managed by Marriott.
On my girls’ getaway, we devoted the entire weekend to pampering ourselves at the two pools and the three hot tubs. Our plan was to take advantage of all the amenities the spa had to offer and we booked treatment throughout the weekend to have daily access to the spa. We arrived early to make the most of our weekend and lounged by the outdoor pool. In addition to the rum distributer tempting us with tasty concoctions, we had pool side wait service to start our trip with a delectable lunch.
When the front desk notified us our room was ready, we were treated to a beautiful corner suite with heated marble floors in the bathroom as well as delicious treats and spirits. This became our home base for the weekend and we set out to create a weekend of new memories. The staff were very hospitable and accommodating throughout our stay.
I was able to enjoy this property from two very unique vantage points. Traveling with my husband and children with a small dog (on loan) was a pleasant surprise at such a refined hotel. My daughters’ gave the dog a bath in our large Jacuzzi tub and we still laugh about the one and only time we tried dog sitting at a 5 star hotel. The property truly is able to cater to a variety of guests and I am looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Some room are very small due to the historic makeup of the property. Request corner rooms if poss...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cape Cod, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel is in a quiet, picturesque, seaside area of Portsmouth, NH. It is a bit off the beaten path but and easy 5 min drive to downtown Portsmouth. You must make it a point to visit the downtown area and walk around the local shops. There are plenty of pubs, shops, quaint artsy galleries, and coffee places.

Our room was a standard queen sized room on the 3rd floor. It was very nice, and I especially loved the bathroom with the heated tile floors. The only thing that I found lacking in our room is that I wish it had a small mini fridge. We forgot to make reservations for Thanksgiving dinner in the main dining room, but we were able to get the same menu in the lounge which was even better, in my opinion.

Overall, we had a great stay. The property was beautiful. The downside was that some of the staff at the front desk and at the breakfast buffet were not the most friendly.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the third floor overlooking the water.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a very special hotel, with a discreet old times charm to it, a grand mansion feeling to it which we really appreciated.

Very good and clean room on high floor with a beautiful view of the ocean, beautiful kept grounds, huge and well mantained common area. Good and grand restaurant in a perfect location.

Not a fault, exactly as we were expecting it, a special place for a special occasion. Wish we can go back soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We have visited several historic hotels including a few like Wentworth by the Sea (WBTS) which are on the National Hotel Register. WBTS now being owned by Marriott has not taken away from the special ambience. This hotel is situated on an inlet of New Hampshire’s limited ocean coastline. Staying at the hotel gives you guest privileges at the nearby WBTS Yacht Club (restaurant) and WBTS Country Club. We found the staff very courteous and efficient. A number of the people who stay at WBTS are probably wealthy. We are not. Our room was nice but certainly not one of the luxury accommodations. However, we never felt that we were treated any differently. We walked the lovely grounds and took advantage of nearby attractions including enjoying good seafood and walking Marginal Way in Ogunquit, ME and shopping at Kittery, ME. We ate one evening at the hotel’s more formal restaurant and enjoyed both the dining experience and the chance to dress up a bit. There is also a very casual take out or eat in restaurant right down the street that offers a varied menu of pretty good food. We’ve visited this area previously and downtown Portsmouth, NH is also charming, especially along the riverside.

Room Tip: You might want to call after you've made your online reservation if you would like to request a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!