“Nice stay, with a few minor issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunapee Lake Lodge

You added Sunapee Lake Lodge to your Saves list
Sunapee Lake Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1403 Route 103, Mount Sunapee, NH 03255 (Formerly Best Western Sunapee Lake Lodge)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sunapee
MA
“Nice stay, with a few minor issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

I just returned from a stay at the BW Sunapee. I have stayed at this hotel in the past. It's the only true modern hotel near Mt. Sunapee, so they have very little competition. Location to the Mt. can't be beat (less than a mile). The hotel has always been consistantly average in my previous stays. Previous reviews seem a bit harsh. I have always found it to be clean, with friendly staff, but VERY basic. When I checked into my room for this stay, I was surprised to see a flat screen TV (with built in DVD) hanging from the wall, new bedspead, new leather recliner, new mattress, and some decorations on the wall. Nice improvement! Even with the improvements, rates are high for what you get. Location, Location, Location.

A few gripes...The heater unit (under the window) is loud, and difficult to regulate the temp in the room. The addition of a hot tub would be great for a hotel that caters to skiers. The new bedspread was great, but triple sheeting (sheet on top of the cheap velux blanket) would make a big difference. Complimentary continental breakfast is a nice gesture. Waffle maker is great, but quality of fruit, muffins and doughnuts need upgrading.

Don't expect the Ritz, and you'll be happy with BW.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

My Family and I had a most enjoyable visit to the Sunapee Area when we stayed at this hotel during the Nextel Race at NHIS last weekend. The front desk staff was most helpful in finding us things to do prior to the race and getting us fed after hours at the hotel's restaurant Murphy's. Ou room was large and well decorated. This hotel must have been a MARRIOT IN A PREVIOUS LIFE. I have never stayed in a Best Western so nice, clean and attractive. We are thinking about a longer visit next July as there is a beautiful lake behind the hotel with a sandy beach. I, We would really have to say that Sunapee Lake Lodge was the highlight of our weekend.

Newport, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

Where do I start. Stinky room with stained bed spread. The room smell was really bad. I called the front desk and the lady told me to open a window. I would have been better off pitching a tent ouside as this hotel is scary. It was so bad I called the corporate office and they told me that the Best Westerns are independently owned so they were unable to help me. Bottom Line this place is like The Bates Motel in the horror movie.

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

Just returned from a weekend "getaway" at The Sunapee Lake Lodge and could not wait to get back home! The rooms were very dirty. and smelled of stale beer. The rugs were sticky and the bedspread was covered with hair. The a/c units on the wall were very noisy and woke you up when the compressor kicked in. The staff was rude and ignored the most trivial request. Requests for an adjoining room (Over a month in advance)were repeatedly ignored though the hotel was still taking reservations. When our phone would not take calls we were told "the phones are a problem and should be rewired. The continental breakfast consists of fatty danish and a dirty juce machine, don't forget the weak coffee. Reserve a room online and they try to sell you a timeshare next door. You're reward is a free night at this dump - I will not be coming back.

• Stayed August 2005
MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

The Best Western is ok for a 2-star hotel, but not a good value for the winter season. It is very convenient to the mountain though. Overall I would say it's an ok hotel to stay a night or 2, but no more.

• Stayed January 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2004

Our 3 day stay in July 2004 was just fine. This hotel has a typical snow roof on it with no gutters on the building. The rain drops to a lower snow roof. (This is typical New England.) We shut our condensor off for the evening and it was silent. It rained hard on our first night and I could not sleep but my wife and grandchildren slept just fine. Their is a construction tent adjacent to the facility and when it rained on the tent, additional noise was created. It would be in the best interest of the hotel to move this construction tent. I called the Chamber of Commerce and they confronted the hotel about the ecoli problem. Unfortunately, an animal had fallen into their well and died. As soon as the problem was recognized, the hotel management called in the experts to clean up the water and their were no signs of this problem while we were there. The room was nicely decorated and I think a good value for the price we paid. The hotel is in a nice location and quite central.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2004

We had a room that was so run down, the bed lay in an angle from being so old. The A/C condenser was just outside our room (with a low occupancy that night, dont know why we were given this room), and the rattling night kept us up all night! But WORST OF ALL: The hotel had E. COLI in the water just the month before, and rather than closing the doors was allowing people to make reservations, not telling them, and then supplying bottles of water!!! to the room for us to brush our teeth with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did not brush our teeth, or take baths (we were told the water had a strong chlorine odor) - we simply left at 5:30 a.m. the next day!

Been to Sunapee Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sunapee Lake Lodge

Address: 1403 Route 103, Mount Sunapee, NH 03255 (Formerly Best Western Sunapee Lake Lodge)
Location: United States > New Hampshire > Mount Sunapee
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Spa Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sunapee
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Sunapee Lake Lodge 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Sunapee Lake Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Sunapee Lake Hotel Mount Sunapee
Mount Sunapee Best Western
Best Western Mount Sunapee

If you own or manage Sunapee Lake Lodge, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.