“Classic European cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
rogerhaughey
“Classic European cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had heard that the Mile Away restaurant, long a benchmark of fine dining in Milford New Hampshire, had changed owners, so I went with my wife and my mother to check it out. It is still great, and still serves a traditional European-inspired menu. This is not nouvel cuisine, but a fine dining experience in an old school sense. They serve a four-course Table d'hote (although I am not sure they call it that) which is a good value. The bar serves up a nice Manhattan (with bitters!) and the wait staff is the cream of the local service crop. Great to celebrate a special occasion!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Massachusetts
“Charming, Old World decor and great European Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went to the Mile Away restaurant this weekend again, and it is always a pleasure to dine there. This weekend was no exception. Blue and white china dinnerware and old fashioned puppets line the shelves, along with cuckoo clocks and pictures of far off European vistas. The atmosphere is very cozy and the wait staff is professional and efficient. The food is a cut above and very competitively priced. The 4-course meals are a bargain at around $25 each. My seafood chowder was loaded with seafood and flavor. Salads were crisp with homemade dressings. Mine was a lovely sun-dried tomato dressing. Yummy! I ordered pan seared scallops and received 6 huge scallops for a single portion! Lots of unique desserts available too. Great pic for a special occasion.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Birthday celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had never been here and I am so glad that we did go! The food was fabulous and for just a few dollars more you can get a 4 course meal from appetizer to dessert. So of course that was a no brainer. We plan on going back for sure....you will have to read the history on this place as it is also facinating. They also have a HUGE fireplace, which they have going starting in November.

• Visited October 2012
Central Coast, Australia
“Gorgeous restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I visited the Mile Away restaurant recently with my partner and her parents and 10 year old son.

The decor is gorgeous; wooden, and elegantly decorated. The dining room needed a little background music though, as I found it lacking and the restaurant seemed quiet, albeit the conversations from other guests.

The menu has a wide range of entrees to choose from. They offer a four course dinner option, where you can select an appetizer, a salad, an entree and a dessert. This option is around $6 more than the entree price.

The food is absolutely delicious. I had the chicken and vegetable soup to start, and then a salad. I chose the Chicken Marsala for my entree and the serving was very decently sized; it was delicious. My partner and her step mother had both selected the 12 ounce prime rib steak, and the serving seemed even bigger than 12 ounces, and cooked to perfection.

There are a few options on the menu for kids. They offer chicken nuggets, or a child size portion of veal, salmon or prime rib. Our son is almost 11 and loves to try new things so that worked well for him, but I wouldn't recommend bringing a picky child along. Servings for entrees are big enough almost to share with a child and have both people be full.

I have a wonderful experience at the Mile Away, and would love to come again one day.

• Visited October 2012
Massachusetts
“Back Again and Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My wife and I have been going to The Mile Away since the late 60s--that's right, the 1960s! So, we are on the third set of folks to operate the restaurant. Echoing some of the other reviews, I think there was a time during the transition where the restaurant lost its way. Back in the spring we had a rather poor experience, but we decided to give it another try and are glad we did.

The decor is unchanged, which may bother some folks, and maybe there could be just a bit more light, but that is part of the charm. We arrived early and were pleased to see the crowd really fill in. That is a good sign as far as the quality of the food goes. The wait staff and helpers were energetic and attentive and really seemed to be working well together.

The menu has been tweaked, and the ability to order a la carte as well as the four course menu could be a good change for some people. I had the chipolata for an appetizer, and while not as refined a sausage as it used to be, it was very tasty and well prepared. My wife had the special soup, a b-b-q chicken roasted vegetable soup that was quite good. Salads, a Ceasar and tossed were both fresh with crusty croutons. Both my prime rib and my wife's special scallop dish, baked with a crab newberg topping, were excellent. To finish off, a wonderful lemon mascarpone cake and a pumpkin bread pudding with bourbon sauce, capped a wonderful dining experience.

Based on tonight's experience I would recommend The Mile Away to anyone looking for a quality dining experience.

• Visited September 2012