“You MUST try!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Derry, NH
“You MUST try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I couldn't say enough good things! A friend and I ordered some take out and there was a minor issue. She called and spoke with Scott. He offered us two new meals at no charge. She had ordered escargot and dinner without viewing the menu. When we looked at a menu to order, we saw that all the meals were pretty pricey and these meals cost more than what we had ordered. She called Scott back, told him about the price difference, asked if he was sure, but he still wanted us to place our order.
She ordered the Portsmouth Pie and I ordered the Uncommon Steak Oscar. She loved her meal as much as I loved mine. This was also the first the first time my steak came the way I have ordered it (and I have ordered from Texas Roadhouse). The sweet potatoes were absolutely amazing and the other sides were just as good. They also gave use some bread, something that tasted like a muffin, and some of their white chocolate for two :)
I had never ate there before. I plan on eating there again, and again. I forgot to mention how AMAZING the escargot was too! Please believe I am not just saying these nice things because he gave us the two meals at no charge. The food was great, the service was great, and they went above and beyond.

Amherst, New Hampshire
“If you are looking for a New England setting with New England food -- this is the place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Let me start with the parking attendants of which there were two. We wanted an early dinner, so there wasn't much activity in the parking area. I found it interesting the attendant opened the car door for me but not my lady. That also happened when we came out. The one good thing about the valet service is as soon as you pay for your dinner the attendant is notified and your vehicle awaits as you step out the door. I just thought the extra effort for the wife would have been a nice touch, instead I got her door.
Once inside we had a room to ourselves as it was early and the dinner crowd hadn't arrived. Our waitress was very pleasant, she made the specials sound delicious, she brought our drinks promptly and told us to help ourselves to the cheese and crackers, and she'd bring appetisers in short order.
We shared the crab cake which wasn't presented very well, but the crab was the freshest I've been served and it was delicious.
The menu offers typical New England dishes, and dining in a historic New England Colonial is a treat if you want authentic atmosphere.
I ordered the New England Yankee Pot Roast and it was done to perfection. The Cottage Pie was the other entree and was equally perfect.
The only complaint was after the crab cake the bread and soup came as we were still eating the appetiser. As we finished the soup there was no time to sit and talk because the main course was put before us. I think because it was early the kitchen was turning out the orders quicker than if they were busy.
This getting too much, too fast caused me to have the pot roast boxed as I couldn't finish it.
Dessert came not as quickly and that was lovely we could sit, talk, sip our coffees and let food digest before the rich white chocolate creme brulee'. Chunks of white chocolate were included on the side, which I thought was a nice touch. However, the brulee' was soupy halfway down and that was disappointing.
I hadn't been to the Common Man in Merrimack in a number of years and my first visit was excellent, this one we were too rushed through our courses, but that said, for any tourist to New Hampshire looking to experience a taste of New England food and setting, the Old Hannah Jacks house which is now the Common Man Restaurant, would be a good choice.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Prime Rib!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

After a great day of skiing and shopping we stopped here because it was on the way home and we have enjoyed all the Common Man restaurants that we have tried. This was easy access and good parking ( it was busy for a Thursday evening). Atmosphere was very pleasant, old colonial, very inviting but wished the fire places worked. There is a help yourself cheese, cracker and dip station and warm homemade bread and butter are served. Yummy! Being tired and having worked up an appetite, I ordered the prime rib, medium rare. It was fantastic!! Done just right, good portion,enough to share, seasoned tastefully and sooo tender!!! Unfortunately, my husband ordered a seafood casserole with a fantastic sauce but the shrimp and lobster pieces were small and the scallops large so the smaller pieces were overcooked. He sent it back and got the prime rib as well. He was very happy. The waitress and manager couldn't have been more gracious. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Keep on your "List"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Service was great. This was my fourth visit and the severs have been consistently attentive an the manager makes a point to check in on you - and if you need something the manager really does make sure that you get it; extra plate, additional sauce on the side, refill on drinks.

We enjoyed the relaxed/welcoming atmosphere. Food is always good, although new menu items periodically could help. Otherwise the value overall is excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Great Food & Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

If you've never been your first visit will not be your last... Matt & I love The Common Man. My personal favorite is the Filet, it melts in your mouth. Matt is always more adventurous food wise so he has had several different dishes and we have never been disappointed. The staff is Incredibly friendly and they will customize your meal if there is something you'd prefer. I am a bit picky and they are always accommodating to change out the vegetable, sauce, etc...The manger Scott always takes a moment to stop and say Hello, he asks how everything is to make sure that your experience is perfect. Atmosphere is warm and cozy even if your seated at the bar... Costs are fair/reasonable for what your getting, you will never leave hungry. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have...

• Visited November 2012