“Huge portions” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Huge portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The atmosphere is lovely in this restaurant which is on the ground floor of Chase House. Reserving a table is recommended. The food is very good but the portion sizes are enormous so you may not have room for a dessert. Drinks are reasonably priced and a good range of wines. Service is a little too fast as we had not finished our starters as our main course arrived. Waiters will keep your water glass filled during the meal.

Visited October 2013

“Warm, cozy atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have eaten at the camp off and on over the past several years. The food is good and reliable but not outstanding. I love the atmosphere, but only for the cooler months. It is too dark and confining for my preference in the summer months. The snowballs are to die for...very yummy dessert!

Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great atmosphere, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stopped here on our first night in Meredith NH for a Labor Day weekend trip. Wow, what a great restaurant. If your a basics meat & potato lover like me, you'll love this place. The food is hearty, the restaurant is warm and very friendly, and it was not overly expensive. My only wish is that we had been able to stay for dessert, but we simply were't up for it. The place is not big, and reservations aren;t taken in advance, so you may have to wait, but it will be worth it. Camp is one more of the Common Man chain of restaurants throughout New Hampshire. My wife and have had opportunity to go to several, and have not been disappointed yet.

Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice camp theme”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I decided to go out for dinner since the rest of the family was tied up in traffic and I was tired from shopping all day. I walked into Camp and was asked if I wanted a table or a seat at the bar. I asked for a table if that was all right (see my note about being tired), the hostess puts me at the bar anyway, telling me she is expecting more people. She crammed a group of 4 guys behind me a minute later and they were complaining about tight quarters. The bar is so narrow i took 3/4 of my app and my entire entree home so i would have room to eat. The bartender was friendly, the menu was kind of interesting. The manager was running around filling in so service was prompt. Food: The special corn chowder tasted pre-fab and was priced accordingly. Pasty and uninspired. The Camp Crackers- great presentation of flatbread, melted cheese and scallions, it comes out hot and bubbly on a long wooden board. Grilled mustard salmon was slightly overdone, served with some packaged rice pilaf mix and what appeared to be right from the freezer green beans that had sat too long on the steam table. half were ok, half were mush. I did have a good mixed drink. So again, another place that I would return to only for drinks and apps, cause i would probably get seated at the bar again anyway. I felt bad for the guys behind me, they were really smashed into a small area. Not sure why they would do that here, there were a few open tables still an hour later when i left.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Woodmere, New York
“Mixed Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently ate twice at Camp on vacation. Our first experience was outstanding. So much so, I was considering giving a 5 star review. So much so, that we decided to go back for our final New Hampshire dinner four nights later on a Friday so. Unfortunately, those few days and a second visit, revealed a less stellar performance, one that I would only give 3 stars. I've combined both experiences here and averaged it out to 4 stars.

Our first night at Camp. We arrived early, just after opening. This was a very good thing as they don't take reservations, the place is tiny and due to a slight shortage in wait staff, they had reduced their tables for seating. We were seated immediately. I ordered a Virgin Bloody Mary and my husband had a drink. Both were excellent. The Virgin Bloody Mary was spicy. Our waitress was timely and helpful. We shared a shrimp with bacon appetizer that was delicious. For dinner, our son had a perfectly cooked burger, I had a scallop au gratin, our daughter had macaroni and cheese (hold the lobster) and my husband had a steak salad. All of the dishes were perfect. For dessert, we shared a smores and one other dessert (escaping my memory). It was a great dinner.

On Friday night, staffing was normal so there were a few more seats. We arrived at opening again to avoid a wait. We were the second table seated. But, for some strange reason, we watched as every other table was quickly seated and had wait staff come to it, while we were ignored. I finally grabbed the hostess to tell her what was happening and we eventually got a waitress. But, she was not that attentive and the rest of the night her service was lackluster at best. We ordered the shrimp appetizer which was still spot on, as was the Bloody Mary again. However, I tried a trout dish that was encrusted with cornmeal and served with maple butter. I remember ordering it thinking that the combo sounded a little weird (too sweet to go with savory), but that everything until then was so good that they would never make it if it wasn't. Well, it wasn't. It really was too sweet. And, to top it off, they did a lousy job fileting the fish. It was the boniest piece of fish I've been served in a restaurant in years. The waitress came around and asked how dinner was and I told her I was hitting a lot of bones in the fish. Not one I'm sorry. Not an offer to take it back to the kitchen. Just kind of a nod/smile. Perhaps I should have just sent it back, but honestly the service was so lackluster I was afraid I'd never get it back. Everybody else's dishes were equally unmemorable. So much so, we skipped the dessert and opted to go to Ben & Jerrys.

What this taught me is that some restaurants have their ups and downs. That is probably why one person on here will have an incredible review followed immediately by a terrible review. I wouldn't recommend for or against eating here. I just hope that when you do eat here, you have an up night. And, for pete's sake, if something on the menu sounds too weird to be good don't order it. This is not a kitchen that I would trust again on creativity. Order the safe stuff and you should have a good experience.

• Visited August 2013