“Great Food and Very Romantic!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
January Savings
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Meredith
Boston, MA
“Great Food and Very Romantic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS SPECIFIC TO THE LAKEHOUSE GRILL RESTAURANT INSIDE CHURCH LANDING! Like all the other restaurants in the Common Man group, the food here is very good. The *wait* for a table was over 90 minutes last night, as it was when we went to the one in Windham, NH. Good thing we had reservations this time--we were seated promptly at a great table!

The only reasons that this gets 4 stars from me and not 5: NO PARKING (and the front desk person at the hotel was quite unhelpful about the whole thing, and even a little bit rude, sadly!) and the long wait (which isn't their fault at all, but still).

The food: I had salmon and a field greens salad as well as a parsnip white chocolate soup with dill garnish. ALL was fabulous. We were there for their Valentines Day chocolate extravaganza... don't miss the chocolate fountain, the crepes (I tried the savory one!) and the best hot fudge ever over (so the chef said) common man's own yummy ice cream.

It was a little pricey for us ($45 a person plus drinks for the chocolate buffet), but I do think it was a great deal nonethless. I ate a ton of chocolate and I really got to try a large number of great desserts. The truffles were also good. The FLAN was yucky (sorry, but it was!) and the creme brulee was mediocre. The white chocolate mousse was good but not great, and the truffles (especially the maple ones) were outstanding. Not sure if they're made in house but YUMMY. Also, my husband loved the chocolate pizza (yes, you heard me... CHOCOLATE pizza) and espresso crusted steak.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but overall, this place is definitely recommended.

Pros: The great waiter and great view of the lake... even in the dead of winter, it's beautiful!
Cons: Parking is troublesome and there's almost always a long wait for a table on weekends.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

Even though we only stayed one night we loved it so much, we are going back in October this year. It is everything you see in the Inn's website.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I decided to spend our 1st anniversary at Church Landing in Meredith, NH in April of 2009. We drove up from Boston, about a 2 hour drive, and checked in without any delay. We booked a king fireplace room with a balcony overlooking the lake. We also took some advice from a friend and spent a couple of extra bucks for the "Laker Package" which includes a full breakfast each morning and one dinner at the restaurant of our choice. The Mills Falls complex is a collection of accommodations, restaurants and shops all located within the teeny tiny town of Meredith, NH. Church Landing has an awesome indoor/outdoor pool, two hot tubs, a full service spa, restaurant, bar, and a small sandy beach. A buffet breakfast is available with an omlette/waffle station. You have to drive/walk to another building to get a breakfast cooked to order. The lobby is absolutely amazing with a collection of seating areas that are super cozy with most having a view of the lake.

We went up to our room, #462 (I think), and we immediately were very surprised about how small it was. Honestly. The bed was amazing, the view was fantastic, but it was....well....just small. The bathroom was small and the water pressure was pretty low. Water could get super hot, though which was pretty awesome. The fireplace was a super cute accent, and it gave off some heat, but there was no accessible controls, so it stayed at a low flame when we did throw it on. The TV was great with lots of channels to choose from. We were able to watch our favorite sporting events and cable shows during our very rainy romantic getaway. We came to the conclusion that we paid $350/night for the view, pool, hot tubs, lobby decor and spa.

We ate dinner at Giuseppes which was really fun and great food. They have live music there 7 nights/week. After dinner, we sat at the bar to watch the Bruins game. The bartender was so friendly! He hooked up his ipod to one of the TVs and played these AMAZING retro videos and played some incredible music. What a fun night!

We spent one day shopping in all the cute shops, hit the hot tub, then I got a facial at the spa while my husband took a nap. The shops are cute with all the little chachkies you'd might expect from a tourist destination. The hot tubs were hot and pretty powerful with lots of big fuzzy towels available. My facial was fine - beware that the cost of all spa treatments INCLUDE an 18% gratuity tacked onto your bill at the end.

We went to Lago for our "fancy" dinner and the place is just absolutely gorgeous. Whatever you do - get the "Gotcha Ball" off the appetizer menu. It's truly amazing! The wine list was pretty extensive as well. Everything was delicious and the view was fantastic.

We concluded our trip with a short drive up to, and across, the Kangamangus Highway. We saw some beautiful scenery including a big huge MOOSE! How cool is that! We caught Rt. 93 south on the other end and cruised home. All in all a great trip. Although it was a great trip, I just think it was a very expensive hotel. I'm glad we had the experience, but I would never stay there again. Just too expensive.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
West Chesterfield, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I stayed at Church Landing for one night but spent 2 full days there. The room was absolutely lovely with a balcony right on the lake. Absolutely beautiful sunrise and sunset! I ate lunch at the little grill they have there and that had a gorgeous view of the lake and the food was quite good. The inn also did the breakfast and dinner for the conference group I was with and that was quite good as well, for a set menu. I took a great run on the lake, it was just so beautiful. I used the fitness room twice and that is small but has what you need- a couple of treadmills, stationary bikes, an elliptical and some weights. I really want to go back this summer to spend a weekend there with my husband so we can really enjoy the inn and area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
hluvsm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

My wife and I had a one night's stay. The views are spectacular. Each room has a view of the Lake. Our room had a king bed with sofa sitting area, nice cozy fireplace and a small balcony overlooking the lake. The room also had a dvd player if someone wanted snuggle down for the night with a movie. The only draw back was the king bed. Although the it did have padded mattress, there seemed to be a bulge down the middle of the bed. Both my wife and I noticed it.
They library and common area was great, and the outdoor pool and hot tub was great too. We ate the lounge food and prices are reasonable for a hotel establishment. The continental breakfast was spectacular; but it was good, espially the scones.
Overall it was a relaxing night and we would like to go back sometime soon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Worcester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We stayed one night at this hotel and wished we could have stayed for many more. We were greeted by a very friendly and helpful woman at check-in. The process was very smooth and efficient. We had booked a deal on travelzoo and received every piece of the special in one envelope, which was very organized and useful.
Our room 157 was very large and clean. It had a gas fireplace with a cozy sitting area in front of it, king size bed with a headboard made from birch logs, and a very large bathroom with a "real" 2 person jacuzzi tub. This tub was the size of a loveseat width wise and the length of a regular tub. It was fantastic!
The hotel also had a heated pool that was both indoors and outdoors. There was also a jacuzzi both inside and outside. We used the outdoors one, which had a fantastic view of the lake and the stars. While we were out there a maintenance man lit the outdoor firepit. It was so romantic to be in the jacuzzi, under the stars, with a roaring fire right next to you.
We had dinner at Lago. I highly recommend the Butternut Squash ravioli. It was mouthwatering! The waitress was excellent as well.
We paid $179 for our huge, lakefront room that also came with a $25 spa credit and 2-for-1 lunch or brunch and dinner coupons. It was definitely a great value. However, this room normally goes for $300-400 a night. Look for the deals and it is well worth it!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Billerica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We stayed at Church Landing for Valentines day weekend. The room was beautiful, spacious, clean and modern. I liked that it had a little section with a coffee maker and a mini fridge. We often pack snacks and have to keep them in our cooler, the fridge was an added bonus I didn't know we had. I loved how all the properties are linked and the restaurants as well. We ate at Lago for Valentines dinner and it was absolutely delicious. Our watiress Tara (?) was great.
The bed was enormous and the featherbed and 6 pillows made it hard to get out of in the morning... :)
We used the hot tub and pool at 2am, which I liked, because you find many places have these amenities closed at this time. I like to have access when I feel like it, not when they tell me i can. The outside jacuzzi was awesome in the cold, and they had an abundance of oversized towells at hand.

I cant wait to go back in the summer, when we can utilize the lake and warm weather activities.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Church Landing at Mill Falls? Share your experiences!