“BAD attitudes and ok food.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
croydon
“BAD attitudes and ok food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The food is hit and miss here. We've been coming to Harts for the last twenty years...it used to be excellent...but for the last 5 or 6 years the Turkey dinners are getting smaller and smaller and the price keeps going up. Anything else but turkey and you will be very dissappointed. This area is a tourist area and Harts has recently taken advantage of that. My last trip however, two weeks ago, was a terribly aggravating experience for my whole family. A simple request for a turkey wing at the buffet was met with hostility and the chef who was serving refused. He at first lied and said there are no wings. When i told him ive been getting wings here for twenty years...the wings suddenly were in the stock pot now.Seconds later my daughter was denied a first a piece of prime rib then lectured about their buffet rule of a limit of two pieces of prime rib. When my daughter told him she only had turkey he replied:" Well you look like the type to sneak back for thirds." The owner was just as rude telling me he saw me asking the chef for a wing "so whatever he said"
Harts never use to be like this but i think age or stress is ruining their customer service to the point where people will be taking a chance going there expecting to be treated respectfully. We will never return to Harts. There are plenty of better restuarants in the meredith area to eat and ENJOY!

• 3 of 5 stars Food

South Berwick, Maine
“Turkey Anytime of Year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have been curious about this restaurant for awhile so made the hour and half ride from our house to there to try it out. It has been in business for 59 years and they know how to make turkey! Everything we had was made fresh in their kitchen. My daughter and I had a traditional turkey meal. We chose the small plate but it was far from small. It came with 3.5 oz of turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, choice of potato or rice and one more side. We chose butternut squash. We also were given a quick appetizer of their house made carrot relish with saltine crackers to try it on Then came the warm dinner rolls and house made cornbread. All was delicious! Our grandkids ordered nuggets and they loved them too. They have either chicken or turkey nuggets of course! We were too full for dessert but our grandkids brought some home. They ordered cheese cake, pecan pie and bread pudding and later told us they loved those too! Our waitress was very nice and quite knowledgeable of everything we asked, We could tell she was impressed with the food where she worked. The inside of the restaurant is retro with lots of wood walls. Looks kind of like a 70/80's look but everything was very clean and neat. Nice view of the mountains from our window seat, There is also a cute little gift shop that has lots of tourist stuff but also they sell a lot of their turkey products in their coolers along with all the turkey dinner side dishes, Over all it was worth the trip and we would definitely go there again when we are in the area. Check out their website and look at their menu. You will be impressed to see all the different entrees they have. (there is more than just turkey!)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Meredith, New Hampshire
“Go for turkey and nothing else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've eaten here a few times and family members have eaten here as well with very mixed reviews. If you want turkey (hot or cold) then this place is fine. I'm told the fish fry night is fine as well but I can't speak from personal experience on that one. Stay away from anything more exotic.

Massachuetts
“Comfortable, affordable family dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Food was great with nice size portions and the price was right. We visited mid-week during February vacation so the dining room was not packed. I could see it being crowded during the summer season. The waiter was fast and courteous. I watched as he served the "difficult" customers in the booth next to ours. He handled himself very professionally. Job well done!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Eldred, New York
“Old days revisited!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I couldn't wait to revisit this place. Listen nothing fancy, but a great turkey dinner. Nice portions, reasonable. The service was so friendly. Came here with my grandma in the 80's and really felt nothing has changed. Great job. Brought back a lot of great memories.