“Trifecta, service, food and ambience..” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hanover Street Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 347 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Pine Street
Description: We are committed to serving food that will be creative, yet “classic,” service that will be impeccable but not intimidating, in an ambiance that will be elegant, yet comfortable and inviting, ensuring a dining experience that will be extraordinary and memorable!
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Trifecta, service, food and ambience..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Not often do these 3 come together. It has been many many years since my last visit, but we had a birthday to celebrate and decided time for a return visit. The interior has not changed still dark steak house style, but booths comfy and tables not on top of each other. We went on a week day early, but upon leaving the place was at least 2/3 full and both meeting rooms were in use.

The menu is not overwhelming in size yet has ample variety. Even a nice selection of fish entrees.
We chose the bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer. Sounds pedestrian, I know. However, the scallops were so very fresh and the condiments were unique. A mango pineapple and a bacon with herbs. Lots of flavor.

I chose the night's sirloin special and my companion the naked steak. Both were included bacon whipped potatoes and an in season vegetable medley. I was glad to see the portions were reasonable, so as not to intrude on the steak experience. There was a 3 bread selection also. We had a small glitch, companion' steak a little underdone. No questions, immediately whisked back to the kitchen and returned on a new plate with all vegetables replaced and delivered by the Chef himself, who returned later to ask if all is well. Very impressive!

Despite all this wonderful food, we left room for dessert, which are prepared on site. We chose the dessert medley, 4 smaller items from dessert menu. We let our server choose. This easily could serve 3-4 people, who can enjoy a tasting. We however gobbled it up.

Our server was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and efficient. Not at all snooty, as in some more expensive restaurants. Which leads me to pricing. Not for the faint of heart. As I said, we went for a special occasion. My only thought is that there be more wine by the glass choices. But given the narrow focus of the menu, all were meant to match the menu.

My last note is that the owner was on site and stopped by our table and actually chatted. Not the usual perfunctory "is everything all right". So save your hard earned money and treat yourself..you know you deserve it!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Berlin, Germany
“What American beef is supposed to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Better than Ruth's Chris. Better than Morton's. Steak perfection, vegetables grilled just until slightly tender, excellent desserts. They made a pretty good Gin & Tonic, too. The waiter was attentive. It's a good thing I don't live in Manchester - I would bust my budget by coming here too often. It is pricy. Dinner for four came to a little over $300, including tip. And we didn't order appetizers or digestifs. But it was worth it. The bone-in filet was the best steak I have had in years.

Visited May 2014
“Expensive with high standards ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

It's very nice. Waitress made a lot of effort to do a good job. I was impressed by the effort they made for just the bread. Dinner was as good as you would expect. Everything all around was great for this place.

NH
“Nice ambience but, service very disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I came here with my husband for a special occasion. First thing I have to admit that the ambience iwas wonderful, elegant and warm. We both ordered the prime rib mine was fine but, my husband's was a disaster. Over half of it was pure solid fat. The amazing thing was once my husband starting cutting into the prime rib and moving these big chunks of fat off to the side on his plate the waitress looked over at it and kept on moving and never once asked how our meals were but (obviously she didn't have to as it was quite apparent there was a problem). We couldn't believe at $37.00 for each prime rib, the quality of his meat. Everything else was good the potatoes were tasty, salads were fresh and the breads were wonderful. We didn’t want to make an issue because it was suppose to be a nice romantic evening out but needless to say we won't be returning and not just because of the quality of the meat. Every restaurant can have a bad service but, it was obvious that the waitress didn't want to address the issue or help resolve the problem. I never had any waiter or waitress at least ask us once, twice and/or sometimes even three times how our meals were! very dissapointed.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NH
“Special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The chophouse in Manchester is a fabulous steakhouse. The ambiance is rich, and the service is excellent. We live an hour away or we would go there more often.

• Visited February 2014