“Poor customer service and iffy location” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Maine
“Poor customer service and iffy location”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

I don't like to write negative reviews, but I think it's important for travelers to know what they are getting into when they book a hotel. We chose the Hilton Garden Inn because it was located in downtown Manchester and was supposedly just a short distance from the Palace Theater, where we would be seeing a show.

From the moment my friends and I checked in, all went downhill. The service at the front desk was abrupt and unfriendly. The room was okay, but we had some problems with the hair dryer falling off the wall; maintenance did fix it quickly. The location of the hotel is iffy; if you are attending a Fisher Cats game the hotel is right at the Stadium (which I enjoyed, being a minor league baseball fan) and is also very near Verizon arena. Almost anything else is a drive. I know I'm in the minority as a walker; the location of this hotel was not convenient for walking.

The worst part of our stay was breakfast the next morning. The hotel sells packages that include breakfast and I think every guest in the hotel had this package. When we went down at 10:00 a.m the very small breakfast area was packed; we did eventually get a table and we sat and waited, and waited. Finally someone came over and told us everything was self serve. I've never heard of a breakfast buffet where the server doesn't bring you coffee and juice, but this one does not. My concern was once we got up and went to get even coffee someone could think the table was empty and take it. We were lucky that no one did. When we got up to wear the food was, all the warming trays were empty; no eggs, bacon, pancakes, nothing. Oh, there was cereal and fruit and a few home fries. Omelets were made to order but there was, I think, only one person cooking so it was a wait. I grabbed the few meager bits if food I could find and went back to my table. As food was delivered to other tables, I heard some people say it was cold. This breakfast was an absolute disaster. Why this hotel did not have more staff on for a weekend breakfast I will never know. Do not get the package that includes breakfast. It's not worth the cost or the long periods of time you have to wait for food.

We will stay somewhere else our next time in Manchester. There's a Radisson nearby.

• Liked — Room was nice and hotel overlooked the Fisher Cats stadium
  • Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Plainfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

My son and I stayed for one night at this very nice hotel. The room was very clean. The beds soft. Plenty of pillows. The bathroom was large, with soft fluffy towels. There was a flatscreen tv and wireless internet. The hotel itself is cool because it does overlook the ballfield. There was not a game when we stayed, but we would have enjoyed it.

We ate breakfast at the hotel, which i would advise not to do. It is standard buffet style eating, with custom made omelettes, pancakes, ect. It was horrilbe. I do require my food to be at least warm, and if my teenage son won't eat the food, its really not worth eating.

The hotel staff is great! I had a very late arrival, and got lost. I called the hotel and the night staff talked me in. They are super nice!!

I would stay here again.

• Liked — It's downtown location.
  • Disliked — The resturant
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Our family stayed at this hotel for one night after a long day at nearby Canobie Lake Park. The lobby and dining area/bar is small but pleasant. We had dinner at the hotel, which I do not recommend because it is nothing more than frozen meals heated upon order.The breakfast is standard fare but was included with our rate and worked great for our family.

The room is also standard (and thin walled) but overlooked the ballpark. There wasn't a game the night that we were there but our family would have enjoyed the view if there was one. (I would caution anyone who is not staying at the hotel for the game to perhaps ask for a room *not* facing the field since it seems like the lights would be very bright at night and that it may be loud too.)

Our boys enjoyed the pool which is indoors. The hotel is also expanding its patio overlooking the field and planning to offer beer on draft. Therefore I think that it would great place to stay if going to the game or stopping in Manchester for the night.

• Liked — The ballfield next to the property
  • Disliked — Thin walls and uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We were looking for some place to stay on our way home from Northern Maine. I was attracted to the Hilton Garden Inn because it is new but mostly because it overlooks center field of the FisherCats stadium. Minor league ball is usually fun and this set up was no exception.

You could hang out on the patio behind the hotel and take in the game while enjoying a drink or a meal. Meanwhile, the non-baseball fans could relax in the lobby or your nice sized room and watch TV or enjoy their free wireless internet. There was a comfy chaise to relax in while reading or doing needlework.

The next morning there is an all you can eat breakfast buffet with egg, bacon, sausage, french toast, waffles, fresh fruit and juice, cereals, toast, muffins, bagels, milk and coffee while reading the included USA TODAY

With all the activity, there was no problem with noise.

Our only problem was finding the hotel. With all the construction going on, our Magellan GPS was totally confused..

• Liked — Minor league baseball game
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

I highly recommend this property. Staff are very friendly from check-in to the bar to the restaurant. Rooms are new with... I had one with
a view of the baseball field. Unfortunately no games when I was there, but would have had a spectacular view if there had been one going on.

Only negative is the bed could be a little more comfortable (management should look at Hampton Inn beds) and pillows are either too bulky or to thin need a comfortable intermediate.

• Liked — Room, Reception, Location
  • Disliked — Beds and Pillows
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Lafayette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

We were staying in Maine but due to the high price of flying out of Portland, got tickets out of Manchester.

Polite and accomodating staff, unusually good lobby restaurant and 100% smoke free, which was a real plus for us. 3 miles to the airport, you are there in less than 10 minutes.

Parking does get tight but even when we checked in at 9 pm, there were still slots to be had.

I am really starting to favor Hilton Garden Inns when we are in an unfamiliar area. You are guaranteed a certain level of quality, service and cleanliness and that has not bee the case on some of the other chains we use. And I can generally snag a room for under $160, except for perhaps New York, LA and Seattle.

Note - this HGI had Aeron chairs and HDTV, very nice touches.

• Liked — Cleanliness, proximity to airport
  • Disliked — Parking was sparse in the evenings
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

The staff was courteous. Room was impeccable and had a nice view. Bed was comfortable and the flat-panel TV was great. The bathroom is nice with curved shower rod and Neutrogena Bath Amenities. The indoor pool and outdoor hot tub were great and not too busy. Good quality for the price.

The only problem was parking. It was almost full when i checked in in the afternoon. When i came back in the evening, a there was a ball game going on and the hotel parking was full along with every other space in the area.

• Liked — Overall quality, comfort, pool, location, view
  • Disliked — Lack of parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown? Share your experiences!