“Extremely Disappointing!!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Extremely Disappointing!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

For a restaurant situated downtown Manchester, on Elm Street- the Hub of the city, my friends and I were expecting a positive experience. It was our first time there since it opened after replacing what was an excellent restaurant before it - "Z".
My girlfriend and I were meeting our friends there and upon arrival we were told that they hadn't arrived and we were seated. A few minutes later, my fiend walked up to our table and said "We're sitting over there, why did they put you here?"...That was just the beginning....It took 20 minutes before we received our drinks and over 1 hour before the "food" arrived. I ordered the "Souvlaki Chicken" which sounded good on the menu and as described by the waiter, but when it arrived, rather than a nice piece of fresh chicken breast, flavored as described, I got a flat compressed, processed piece of bulk packed frozen chicken....like a nasty low end chicken Burger from Walmart. It was very dry, small and was accompanied by lumpy dry rice, Basmati it said on the menu....."Badmatty" I renamed it. The vegetables were over-cooked to become bland, tasteless garnishings akin to Granma's boiled veggies straight out of the can!.....To top it off....the meal was luke-warm and some "veggies" were cold. My girlfriend's Salmon was dry and cold, my friends "Irish Stew" tasted like it came straight out of a "Campbells" can and his girlfriends "Vindalou Curry Alfredo Haddock" was a disappointment to her, especially being Indian and familiar to how food of her culture should taste. When receiving the check of $169.00, I felt that I had been robbed and abused and jokingly said to my friends "We would have been better off at McDonalds and could have saved a ton of money at the same time!". My worst personal experience, to date, in Manchester, and my girlfriend and I like to eat out regularly and have visited many restaurants throughout NH and VT. We'll never go back to this one and will not recommend it to anyone who might ask about it.....poor service, terrible food and way too expensive for what you receive! If you're in Mancheter and hungry, stick to Mint Bistro, Cotton, Hooked and Ignite for continuity of good experiences.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Emily M, Guest Relations Manager at The Rouge Grill, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Of course, we are always disappointed to see anything but a positive review for The Rouge Grille, but this one we felt required an official response to explain the rest of the story. We admit that there was a mistake made when you were seated, a miscommunication with the host on our part, but after rectifying the situation, your party was given a free appetizer for your inconvenience. In addition, the manager visited your table to personally apologize and inquire about your food quality. When hearing that the meal was unsatisfactory, the manager provided two complimentary $25 gift cards and spoke with you at length about our family of restaurants. At this time, you seemed pleased with the efforts to rectify the situation. You even assured the manager that you were fans of our owner and his restaurants and would be sure to try Rouge Grille again. If there was something more we could have done to resolve these issues, we would have welcomed the opportunity to demonstrate our dedicated customer service during your visit. In any case, we hope that you will reconsider your position on the The Rouge Grille and choose to visit us again in the future.

Manchester, New Hampshire
“Frozen Food at best”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I asked server, to ask kitchen if the food was fresh or frozen and all he said was frozen, frozen and frozen. I was upset that a restaurant these day is asking $22 - $27 a plate for frozen food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bedford, NH
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Have been there twice with girls from work. Drinks, food, service and atmosphere were very enjoyable both times. I've visited the other restaurants that the same owners have and was not to be disappointed. Only suggestion is that they have a service bar to speed up drink service. The drink menu is exceptional and, no doubt, necessitates extra time to prepare some of the creations. We will definitely return. Good place for couples too!

• Visited January 2013
Merrimack, New Hampshire
“Unique dishes, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We went to the rouge grill before a party. The decor was very welcoming and actually reminded me a lot of their sister restaurant Ignite. Our waiter Kane was excellent. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive. I was very interested in the international dishes the restaurant served. I ordered a Spanish paella. It was delicious. Perfectly done, I felt like I was in Spain.
The drinks were stiff too.
I will definitely be going back.

Auburn, New Hampshire, United States
“Warm Atmosphere and Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Some would say the decor is "chick"-centric. To my eye it was tasteful, very welcoming and warm. My dining partner and I were immediately struck with the unusual menu items. We both had difficulty making up our minds. We opted to share two appetizers - the Ahi Tuna Wontons, and the Carpaccio Beet Salad.

Yes the beets are canned; however the baby arugula and gorgonzola dressing made a great salad.

The Ahi Tuna wontons were like nothing either of us had ever had. Twelve wontons arranged in a grid on a square plate, each piled with sauteed kimchi, seaweed salad, and really fresh sushi-grade Ahi tuna. The entire plate was artfully drizzled with a perfectly balanced wasabi mayonnaise.

For entrees, we selected the Vietnamese Steak Sandwich and the Costa Rican Fish Tacos. The marinated and grilled sirloin steak is served in a baguette with fresh crispy vegetables and a low-fat Asian mayonnaise. The steak was done just right and the combination of ingredients made a very nice entree.

Three Fish Tacos were stuffed with lightly fried haddock, greens, pico de gallo, and a creole tartar sauce. The fish was very light, and the tartar sauce was excellent. This was not something I would usually pick for lunch, but I was not disappointed.

The service was great. Since the restaurant had only been open for two weeks when we visited, and our server had only started three days prior, we half-expected some kind of glitch. The staff is professional and obviously well-trained, and the kitchen knows what they are doing. Overall we were very pleased with an excellent meal at a very reasonable price.

• Visited December 2012