“We were impressed!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
MA
“We were impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Happened to come upon this little gem when the BBQ place next door was closed. Excellent service, delicious food, quirky but charming decor. No problems with the temperature or noise inside the restaurant. My husband had the flank steak special and I had chicken piccata - both perfectly prepared. We wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

philadelphia
“lazy chef's lobster - or how to spoil a birthday”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was the worst meal out we've head in 2013, possibly in 2012 also. if it wasn't so laughably funny. Let me explain.

I noted that the menu had "Lazy Man's Lobster", a blast from the past rarely seen on menus. As opposed to the working man's (in-shell) lobster, this traditionally is a lobster whose meat has been picked from the shell and served in a casserole dish, generally in butter. The first warning sign should have been the waitress's initial reaction - "I'm not sure if the chef is doing this this evening," (even though it appeared on the menu). She went back and checked - thumbs up. A second waitress subsequently expressed doubt. Maybe she knew something? Well, the lobster arrives in its shell, with only a few pieces of tail taken out and served separately/. I reminded the waitress of my order. "This is our version," she said. Huh? I sent the entree back to the kitchen for it to be served as represented. Within a minute, it came back; the few pieces of lobster that had been initially removed remained; sans any of the remaining meat. Basically $30 for four forkfuls of lobster. A subsequent request to right this sad ship produced no better result. I complained. I am not sure the owner "got it." He did offer to remove the charge from the bill. Duh. We walked out.

What made matters worse was, well, everything. We had to wait a good hour to get bread and butter. The salad was vintage 99 House or Denny's. The wine, an $8.50 Pinot, was undrinkable. I will say the waitress was pleasant. ..

The ambience is 1950's cheesy ski lodge. It was a hot night - one of those near 100 degree days - the A/C was supposedly on but you never would have known in. Someone walked by a table, and recognized the guests, "Don't I know you from somewhere/" the passerby asked. "Wal-Mart was the response. Probably not the best place to spend my 60th birthday. Caveat emptor.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hardwick, Vermont
“more than met our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The atmosphere, food, price and service were excellent. I found nothing negative . My wife and I both had the "Beale Deal" where you receive 2 entrees and a bottle of wine for $40 dollars. I recommend the steak tips they are excellent. THE special deal is available daily between 5 and 6 Pm. Parking is free.

Visited July 2013
Danville, Vermont
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Beal House Inn and Restaurant is a great place to go for a special occasion. The atmosphere is relaxing and casual. Our waitress had a great personality and was very helpful and efficient. We really enjoyed the singer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Littleton, MA
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Called earlier in the week to make a reservation but it wasn't in the book. Was told sometimes he doesn't write it down. Small as this restaurant is there was no problem seating us. The food was ok and the waitress was pleasant, but I can't say I would go out of my way to go back. Bailiwicks a better choice.

• Visited June 2013