“Inexpensive Family Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 hotels in Lincoln
White River Junction, Vermont
“Inexpensive Family Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Indian Head Resort is located close to paradise for couples and families. It is central to the White Mountains for hiking, the Flume Gorge, Whale's Tail water park -- you name it, there's fun for everyone in the family. The resort is quite competitively priced and offers heavily discounted meals for adults and kids. There is a pond with pedal boats, game room, and both outdoor and indoor pools. It's a down-home place where staff are extremely friendly. The biggest surprise is the restaurant. A new chef has refurbished the menu with daily specials and beautifully prepared standards. Our waiter, Brennan, offered a level of service that is found only in truly fine restaurants. He was at once warm and professional. He made our dining experience a joy. The Spano family runs Indian Head and is to be congratulated for maintaining and improving a fine facility.

Room Tip: Motel rooms are quieter. Bungalows are a blast from the past -- but not for those who are fussy abo...

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I am 36 years old and have been vacationing in the Whites my whole life. I was very excited to finally stay at Indian Head. We stayed friday night and I was really disappointed with our experience. The room was dated and smelled like smoke. When I put the ac on it gave off a terrible odor that smelled like a locker room. You could see that the filter hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The door frame was not completely secured to the wall and anybody could have pushed the door in even when locked. The balcony had railing were made of flimsy plastic and had enough give that when pushed hard enough I'm sure you could have knocked it over. Scary seeing we were on the 3rd story and we have 3 young children. The tower that I drove by my whole life was in rough shape. I walked to the top with my son and the floor boards and stairs were weathered and not maintained. A scary thought, this would be one thing you would think the owners would be on top of. The game room had no air conditioning and was hot and uncomfortable. I noticed several rats down by the paddle boat house moving about in broad daylight. We were warned by others staying there not to eat in the restaurant and against my better judgement we regretfully ate dinner there. The waitress was unbelievably slow and couldn't even get our drink order straight. I watched the waitress pour the last quarter inch of burned coffee into my mother's cup. You could smell how burned it was. My Mother and I both ordered the smothered grilled chicken sandwich. Easy enough right? Mine was burnt to a crisp and hers was RAW, pink in the middle. It was absolutely disgusting. When we told the waitress she removed one from the bill. The whole meal was inedible. We just paid the bill and left. Later that night after the kids were asleep I decided to try and watch a little tv. The remote was held together with scotch tape and was not functioning. I called the front desk and the woman answered laughing. (Rude). She told me maintenance would bring a new remote right up. They never showed up. At that point I decided to just go to sleep and get far away from this place in the morning... People travel from far and wide to visit the Whites. Indian Head has been here as long as I can remember. I think it is far past it's hayday and it is dated and falling apart. I really wanted to say great things about it but I can't. I believe it is a tourist trip for sure.. Sorry Indian Head, my first experience will be my last. There are far better places around for that price . (190.00 for a smelly room for one night). The restaurant experience was the worst meal/service I have had anywhere in years... How it won "best restaurant" 4 years in a row blows my mind... I wish I had a better experience but it was terrible.. Don't get fooled, avoid this place.

Stayed July 2014
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

We had a room in the building at the other side of the road ( not the side with the lakeview). :-(

Room was outdated (except for a new 50 inch tv), but the beds and shower were fine and that are the most important aspects travelling around.

• Stayed July 2014
Haverhill, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

3.5, really. We have stayed here before, and we would stay here again. Rooms are clean even if they are old and outdated. The pool is NOT new, whatever the ads say, but it is heated and plenty big enough for the summer crowd. The staff at the hotel and restaurant are friendly and helpful, and that counts for a lot in my book. And you can't beat the location or the views!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Came for an overnight stay with my grandkids. They enjoyed the paddle boats, pool and playing down by the river. The room was clean enough and the beds comfortable. We stayed in the motel portion, but the cottages across the street looked pretty cute.
The part that amazed me was the price of 200.00 per night and then charging so much for breakfast. I've stayed at many hotels over the years and was stunned by the poor quality of buffet and the attendant prices. This place is VERY dated, like stepping back to the hotel in Dirty Dancing...
I did notice that many people seemed to come here every year so maybe part of the charm are the memories of the past. I wouldn't stay here again, too many other places in the area that looked much better for the money.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and balcony had a nice view of the mountains and pond.
Mystic Country, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I drove by Indian Head resort last summer and promised my daughter we would stay this year...we had a blast! The resort was great, close to everything we wanted to do. The rooms were clean and comfortable. (We were lucky enough to get a lake-facing room and were able to watch the fireworks display from our balcony.) The hotel is a bit dated but in a kitschy way. We both enjoyed it immensely. We will be back in the fall. I can't wait!

Room Tip: I will always request a top floor, lake view room.
Williston, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Quite disappointed with our experience. The staff had little clue as to what accessibility means (sent us to a nearby attraction that wasn't at all wheelchair accessible, despite saying it was and selling tickets). The "accessible" room was big enough and had a great view, but had a low toilet with no grab bars, and partially blocked the (actually accessible) shower. Food was quite poor and slow. The place overall is very dated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Indian Head Resort? Share your experiences!