“Cabin=Shanty, enough said” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 20 hotels in Lincoln
boston
“Cabin=Shanty, enough said”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ok, because I feel bad ever writing a negative review, let me begin with the positive. First, the price was right. I had a cottage for about $90/night. My family was going to staying nearby at Indian Head resort but because I would be in a room by myself, staying there would have cost me almost twice as much. Since I knew I would mostly just be using the room for sleep, I didn't feel the need to splurge. Also, the hotel staff were helpful and I did not experience them as unfriendly at all, especially the woman who took my reservation over the phone.

Unfortunately, there's a lot more negative to report on. When I first walked in, I was extremely underwhelmed. The windows were open (no ac running) and the place just smelled musty. It's a cabin so fine. The little outside porch had a hole in the floor and lots of cobwebs. The door to outside didn't lock using just the door lock; you had to count on the chain to keep you secure. Especially being a solo female traveler, I didn't feel so good about this. Add to this that the little section where the cabins are lined up is like a tiny road where you see all your sketchy neighbors and I definitely did not sleep easy that night. Also, when I went to turn on a light, one of the light bulbs was missing. There was no phone to call the front desk (also played into my safety fears since cell reception in the area was almost non existant) so I had to drive up on my way out to ask for a light bulb. The receptionist told me people frequently steal light bulbs and batteries. I guess that speaks to who usually stays there because I have never even considered such a thing!

I tried not to be in my cabin too much and there are plenty of activities in the area so that wasn't a hard task but it definitely wasn't a place I wanted to go unwind at the end of the day. It was a means to an end; a bed that was marginally better than sleeping in my car. I didn't use any of the other hotel amenities. I was tempted to go check them out but, truthfully, was creeped out to even walk to them, given that there are a number of abandoned buildings flanking the property.

My hotel stay became a bit of a joke among my family, that's how bad it was. I would seriously advise the management to make some improvements and until that happens, I would guide other travelers toward other properties, of which there are plenty. Even if you have to spend $20 more a night, it will be worth it to feel safe and rested on your vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Peabody, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We booked this in June and didn't check Tripadvisor beforehand. When we did go online and read the reviews we figured it couldn't be that bad and by that time other places were booked. Well it was worse than we imagined. It is so rundown and the common areas are beyond shabby. The lysol smell in the room and the freezing cold pool were just a few of the nightmares. Their idea of games is a checkerboard
on the ground and red and black milk crates for the game pieces.This place needs a total rehab. Read the other reviews and take heed.

• Stayed August 2013
Hudson, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed at the Beacon years ago when it had an excellent reputation. Although the staff wasn't overly friendly, the rooms were nice. Stayed again last year and the entire place is run-down and unfortunately the staff still isn't any friendlier. Next time I want to stay in the area (probably once every year) I will look for a different place. There are TONS of places to choose from.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A bit late I writing this review, I came from the UK with a group of school children skiing at Easter. We really enjoyed the stay, the rooms were cosy, a bit dated but had everything you needed. Being a motel the noise did travel a little but the hotel was full of UK school children at the time so didn't matter. The food was good, enjoyed that there was a roast meat each night. We skied Cannon and Loon mountains and the hotel was a in the perfect location for both. The kids loved the pool, Wendy and the staff were welcoming. The only down side was the bar wasn't open so we had to go to the hotel next door. With a bit of TLC this could be a nice hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food here was atrocious!! Overcooked, the green beans definitely came out of a can, and the mashed potatoes were somehow dry. Overpriced. The best part of the whole meal was the bread which we had to ask for...twice. Skip this place for dinner!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here from July 17 to July 19, 2013. I used a half off coupon from Halfoffnh.com. They had Jacuzzi rooms available so I decide to spend the extra for the Jacuzzi tub as I had spine surgery and it was only $10 more than a regular priced room. Check in was good and no problems. Friendly person at the desk. It was someone hard to get to our room 145, which was on the bottom floor in the corner, but luckily I had my 2 children here with me to help bring stuff to the room. The room was nice, but a little dated. The bathroom was small and only had 2 small towels and face cloths and no shampoo or anything. There was a small refrigerator, but no microwave and I had brought some stuff to microwave so that was a little disappointing. It has a restaurant called Dad's that is open for breakfast and dinner, but with very limited hours, breakfast was 7:30 to 9:30 and dinner 5 to 8:30. We did get to eat there the first night and the menu prices were quite expensive. We did get a 10% off coupon which did help a little bit, but the turkey dinner special that was supposed to be for that night was not available. I wanted to share a plate, but there was a $5 extra plate charge (really?) for the same amount of food. I had gastric surgery and am not able to eat much, but didn't want to pay $5 for a plate to share. Service was a little slow and the restaurant was not that busy. Food was good and I ended up having lobster because it was on special that night. The pools seemed nice and clean for the most part, but cold and the indoor pool was not heated. It was very hot during that time, but would have been nice to be able to get into the water. The Jacuzzi in the indoor pool area was nothing special. We wanted to visit the "gift shop" but could not find it and then was told it was closed and opens at 4:00, needless to say, we never got there. The free internet was not very good at all. We had a very hard time with reception. I actually called and was told the receiver was on top of the building and we were on the bottom, which was probably way and maybe we could go outside??? Okay, hard to do work outside and I am going to school so I needed to do school work. As another guest said the hallways smelled funny and due to some heavy thunder storms and rain the hallways were soaked (literally) with like 2 inches of water and did not dry in the 2 days we were there. We could see the ceiling leaking in several areas. Our walkway to our room was also a few inches high due to the heavy rain that took a little while to drain. Thank goodness it did not get into our room and we were on the bottom level. I would not have been very happy. Tried to do some laundry in the guest laundry and they only had 1 dryer and 2 washers. I put the wash in and realized the dryer didn't work. I asked if they could help at the desk and was told no one was there that knew how to use the industrial dryers. I am wearing a Miami neck brace from recent surgery and with all the heat need to wash the pads. Had to try to dry them in the humid room, but of course that didn't go too well. There was also this younger kid that seemed to follow us everywhere we went while we were there, which was very creepy. He worked there and didn't seem to be doing anything at all (curly blond hair). Just weird that he kept following us. Shut our curtains so he couldn't see in the room. The room was comfortable enough and it had a king bed. Since it was me and my 2 children, daughter 19 and son 15 we slept in the big bed with me in the middle. When I went to check out, they tried to upcharge me for because I used a half-off coupon. The coupon was worth $144 and the room was $154 and they wanted to charge me $20 extra. Really again? There was no where on the coupon that said anything about an upcharge for a different room just that I could use it towards packages. Then she told me that I made the reservation on-line and I should have called them because I had the coupon. (I noted on my reservation that I had the coupon and please call me if any problems and they did not). Anyway, she did not end up charging me $20, only the $10 extra, then said you had 3 people in your room. Um again, there advertising says children under 18 free with adults. I said my daughter was 19 and myself an adult, but my son was only 15, why would I have to pay an extra fee for him? Well she didn't end up charging me, but just was kind of appalled she would say that since no one said anything to me when I checked in about any of this. Even with the issues, most everything was okay and would only go back with discount coupons. Otherwise, I'd stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi rooms down on the bottom corners, very hard to get to easily when raining as the water pools...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
South Lake Tahoe, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The were a few good things about the place, room was good sized, great location, front desk folks were nice. Most of the common indoor areas had a funny smell. The hallway in our building hadn't been vacuumed or cleaned in a while. Rug in hall to ice machine (way far from our room) was soaking wet! Tried to use jacuzzi one night but it was way too full and kept overflowing into the pool area, making the floors very slippery and unsafe. Also, wanted to use the laundry room advertised, the one dryer was out of service! The maid never came in to even make the bed. The one time she knocked on our door, we were getting ready to go out, so she left. She set a bag of towels outside our door and that was it. The restaurant associated with place is way too expensive and the service was lacking.. Would not stay here again. There are many other places in same area.

Room Tip: book the econo lodge down the street
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Beacon Resort? Share your experiences!