“Used to be good, now it is run-down. Always unfriendly staff.” 2 of 5 stars

The Beacon Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   557 US Route 3, Lincoln, NH 03251   |
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Hudson, New Hampshire
“Used to be good, now it is run-down. Always unfriendly staff.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed at the Beacon years ago when it had an excellent reputation. Although the staff wasn't overly friendly, the rooms were nice. Stayed again last year and the entire place is run-down and unfortunately the staff still isn't any friendlier. Next time I want to stay in the area (probably once every year) I will look for a different place. There are TONS of places to choose from.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A bit late I writing this review, I came from the UK with a group of school children skiing at Easter. We really enjoyed the stay, the rooms were cosy, a bit dated but had everything you needed. Being a motel the noise did travel a little but the hotel was full of UK school children at the time so didn't matter. The food was good, enjoyed that there was a roast meat each night. We skied Cannon and Loon mountains and the hotel was a in the perfect location for both. The kids loved the pool, Wendy and the staff were welcoming. The only down side was the bar wasn't open so we had to go to the hotel next door. With a bit of TLC this could be a nice hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food here was atrocious!! Overcooked, the green beans definitely came out of a can, and the mashed potatoes were somehow dry. Overpriced. The best part of the whole meal was the bread which we had to ask for...twice. Skip this place for dinner!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here from July 17 to July 19, 2013. I used a half off coupon from Halfoffnh.com. They had Jacuzzi rooms available so I decide to spend the extra for the Jacuzzi tub as I had spine surgery and it was only $10 more than a regular priced room. Check in was good and no problems. Friendly person at the desk. It was someone hard to get to our room 145, which was on the bottom floor in the corner, but luckily I had my 2 children here with me to help bring stuff to the room. The room was nice, but a little dated. The bathroom was small and only had 2 small towels and face cloths and no shampoo or anything. There was a small refrigerator, but no microwave and I had brought some stuff to microwave so that was a little disappointing. It has a restaurant called Dad's that is open for breakfast and dinner, but with very limited hours, breakfast was 7:30 to 9:30 and dinner 5 to 8:30. We did get to eat there the first night and the menu prices were quite expensive. We did get a 10% off coupon which did help a little bit, but the turkey dinner special that was supposed to be for that night was not available. I wanted to share a plate, but there was a $5 extra plate charge (really?) for the same amount of food. I had gastric surgery and am not able to eat much, but didn't want to pay $5 for a plate to share. Service was a little slow and the restaurant was not that busy. Food was good and I ended up having lobster because it was on special that night. The pools seemed nice and clean for the most part, but cold and the indoor pool was not heated. It was very hot during that time, but would have been nice to be able to get into the water. The Jacuzzi in the indoor pool area was nothing special. We wanted to visit the "gift shop" but could not find it and then was told it was closed and opens at 4:00, needless to say, we never got there. The free internet was not very good at all. We had a very hard time with reception. I actually called and was told the receiver was on top of the building and we were on the bottom, which was probably way and maybe we could go outside??? Okay, hard to do work outside and I am going to school so I needed to do school work. As another guest said the hallways smelled funny and due to some heavy thunder storms and rain the hallways were soaked (literally) with like 2 inches of water and did not dry in the 2 days we were there. We could see the ceiling leaking in several areas. Our walkway to our room was also a few inches high due to the heavy rain that took a little while to drain. Thank goodness it did not get into our room and we were on the bottom level. I would not have been very happy. Tried to do some laundry in the guest laundry and they only had 1 dryer and 2 washers. I put the wash in and realized the dryer didn't work. I asked if they could help at the desk and was told no one was there that knew how to use the industrial dryers. I am wearing a Miami neck brace from recent surgery and with all the heat need to wash the pads. Had to try to dry them in the humid room, but of course that didn't go too well. There was also this younger kid that seemed to follow us everywhere we went while we were there, which was very creepy. He worked there and didn't seem to be doing anything at all (curly blond hair). Just weird that he kept following us. Shut our curtains so he couldn't see in the room. The room was comfortable enough and it had a king bed. Since it was me and my 2 children, daughter 19 and son 15 we slept in the big bed with me in the middle. When I went to check out, they tried to upcharge me for because I used a half-off coupon. The coupon was worth $144 and the room was $154 and they wanted to charge me $20 extra. Really again? There was no where on the coupon that said anything about an upcharge for a different room just that I could use it towards packages. Then she told me that I made the reservation on-line and I should have called them because I had the coupon. (I noted on my reservation that I had the coupon and please call me if any problems and they did not). Anyway, she did not end up charging me $20, only the $10 extra, then said you had 3 people in your room. Um again, there advertising says children under 18 free with adults. I said my daughter was 19 and myself an adult, but my son was only 15, why would I have to pay an extra fee for him? Well she didn't end up charging me, but just was kind of appalled she would say that since no one said anything to me when I checked in about any of this. Even with the issues, most everything was okay and would only go back with discount coupons. Otherwise, I'd stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi rooms down on the bottom corners, very hard to get to easily when raining as the water pools...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
South Lake Tahoe, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The were a few good things about the place, room was good sized, great location, front desk folks were nice. Most of the common indoor areas had a funny smell. The hallway in our building hadn't been vacuumed or cleaned in a while. Rug in hall to ice machine (way far from our room) was soaking wet! Tried to use jacuzzi one night but it was way too full and kept overflowing into the pool area, making the floors very slippery and unsafe. Also, wanted to use the laundry room advertised, the one dryer was out of service! The maid never came in to even make the bed. The one time she knocked on our door, we were getting ready to go out, so she left. She set a bag of towels outside our door and that was it. The restaurant associated with place is way too expensive and the service was lacking.. Would not stay here again. There are many other places in same area.

Room Tip: book the econo lodge down the street
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had a 3 day stay at the beacon resort,it was the long 4th of july weekend,I was very disappointed. the food was excellant but the service was very slow, two hrs for dining. it appeared to be understaffed and could not handle the volume. back in the 80s this place was jumping , it was packed, geared for the elderly. there is no entertaiment not like it was before, the lounge not opened at all so you could not go to the lounge. i remember playing keno in the lounge and other gambling games you could play, even bingo,not anymore. the place is run
down and the room that i had i felt was out of date,cleaning service was good. Now for entertainment the beacon advertises indian head resort for entertaiment. they really have cut back alot. dont think i will be returning to the beacon unfortunately

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Malden, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We go every year up to the White Mountains and stay at the Beacon.
This time was no different, we had a fantastic time!!!!

The Beacon is very family oriented, having 4 children that is a plus!
We are never dissapointed, and this year the rooms were updated and beautiful.
The inside pool also was updated and looked beautiful. We have so much fun we usually just hang out at the pools.

Will see them again next year!

Room Tip: I love staying in the Pool rooms. Out your front door is the outside pool and out the back door of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Beacon Resort? Share your experiences!