“Our Stay at the Fireside” 3 of 5 stars

Fireside Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Airport Rd, Lebanon, NH 03784   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lebanon
New Haven, Connecticut
“Our Stay at the Fireside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed at the Fireside Inn as a place to spend the weekend so that we could be with our friends and attend two operas in nearby Lebanon. The hotel has a very attractive lobby and garden-like setting for its large dining and breakfast room. The check-in was swift and the staff was friendly.

Our room was clean, and the bathroom was well-lit and had plenty of counter space. The bed was comfortable enough but the pillows were too soft. At least there were lots of them so we could double up. After late at night the hotel was quite silent, although on Saturday night some rowdy guests of a wedding reception were disruptive. Breakfast was included, but the food was ordinary at best. The “fresh” fruit bowl had fruit which didn’t taste fresh. The pool and fitness center were both small so we didn’t bother with the “amenities.”

Although our stay was fine enough, we wish we had stayed closer to Lebanon.

• Liked — Attractive dining area with plenty of tables for breakfast; large room
  • Disliked — Some rowdy guests, quality of breakfast food, darkness of room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I was so pleasantly surprised to check into this hotel while traveling for work. Some hotels that I get put up in are dirty, uncomfortable, and lacking in basic amenities. The Fireside Inn had everything and made me feel at home while I bunkered in during a nasty Nor'easter. I liked it so much that I just booked another stay there for next week when I'm working in the area.

• Liked — Staff was friendly and the room had a massage chair. The full breakfast was great, too!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We had three rooms for new years eve.5 adult s and 7 children
the folks that checked us in seem like they were just passing time until shift ended. Not very friendly. The pool was great for the kids but the hot tub was way to hot. We saw folks that got out of the hot tub and they were red. Hotel has a resturant but no lounge so you have to go outside the hotel for entertainment. The room had two queen beds but the rooms need a face lift as well as the bathroom. Looked like rust on the knob in the bathroom sink. Breakfast was very good and the kids enjoyed that part as well as the pool.
They did have a computer room where you could go on line which was nice.
Hotel just needs a little TLC in the rooms, banq room

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

I was there with my son's 10 year old hockey team for a tournament in West Labanon. The staff continuely complained about the parents sitting by the fire and adding wood to the fire when fire was just about out. These are adults not kids adding a log. This happen on few occasions. The kids were told that while swimming and jumping in the pool that they needed to calm down because too much water was leaving the pool. These were 10 year old kids being kids. I would never stay at this establishment again. Not only was staff rude and condasending but the place was not kept in cleanest condition. We found a dead mouse near the vending machines and 2 days later it was still there. There was no lounge for the adults and or a large television for viewing any events that may have been on at the time of our stay. Not much to offer for both kids nor adults.

Stayed January 2008
FiresideInn, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 17, 2008
Our goal at the Fireside Inn & Suites is to offer each of our guests a high quality lodging experience. In the case of large groups such as the youth hockey team that generated this review, we are sometimes put in the position of telling a guest things they do not want to hear. In this case, we needed the parents of the hockey team to supervise their kids. Instead, they allowed their children to roam the hotel, and we received numerous complaints. We politely asked the parents to help us in this matter, and were told that it was "just kids being kids". We also asked the group of parents that had gathered by the fire, that due to liability concerns, to not add wood to the fire. In both cases, we received anything but cooperation. We were prepaired to close the pool early, due to the dangerous behavior of the hockey kids, and this met with more arguement. In addition, alchohol was involved, making the situation even worse.
The bottom line here is that we feel we acted in the best interest of all of our guests by insisting that this group follow simple common sense rules designed to keep their kids and themselves safe. It is unfortunate and unfair that this review portrays our efforts is such an inaccurate and negative way.

Bristol, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

I stayed here for two nights, one was paid for because of a conference I was attending (though not at the Fireside Inn and Suites, but in Hanover). I paid for an extra night so I could enjoy the area a little on my own.

I've stayed here before, and the staff was just as friendly. The included breakfast is good (Yum.. waffles!). The fireplace in the main lobby is wonderful to sit and relax by. The free wireless is convenient, and was trouble-free.

But ye olde fireside inn and suites is starting to show its age. It could use a bit of a freshening from top to bottom. Everything's just starting to feel a little on the old side (not unacceptably so, but it is noticeable). The list price was probably a little more than one should pay for this hotel at this point - around $75 is a good rate (and I believe around what I paid).

• Liked — Turtles in the lobby
  • Disliked — Starting to feel run-down
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2006

We had intended to stay at the Residence Inn, but arrived to find there was no hot water. We rang the Fireside at around 6.15 pm and they had a room for us and give us clear directions. Check in staff were friendly and didn't mind when later in the evening my son squashed their table tennis ball!

The room was servicable but one of those were a rennovation is needed (you know, where you can walk around in bare feet and sit on the chairs, but you are accutely conscious of the hundreds of others who have done the same!).

The lobby area was also quite nice at first sight, and probably really was something in the 1980s, but is a little tired looking now.

Free internet access (with a printer, so we could print off directions to Target) was a plus and the recommnedation for Lui Lui Italian restarant was great. Good location too.

• Liked — Helpful staff, particularly when we needed a room at short notice. Convenient for shops.
  • Disliked — Needs sprucing up
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Madison, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

We stayed at this hotel during Valentine's Day weekend for 3 nights. The hotel itself is located in a central area, within close driving distance to White River Junction as well as Quechee Vermont. We used it as a base to explore those areas. Upon entering on Friday Evening, it was a very cold February day, but the fireplace right at the entrance was going, which was very welcoming. We stayed on the second floor. There was no elevator, so we had to lug everything upstairs. But, that wasn't a big problem. The room itself was very clean and nice.

The hotel features an attractive little combined pool and game room area as well as a hot tub. The hotel also has a restaurant right on site, which is also very pretty. It is atrium style with all the trees and so forth.

My only complaint during my stay was with the room service, that the hotel does provide from their on-site restaurant. I called for the room service and was placed on hold indefinetly. I then thought I'd just walk downstairs and place my order. I was standing at the desk waiting for an attendant for at least 15 minutes and then finally gave up. So, I did go up to the front desk to advise them of my experience. To be fair, this did happen on Saturday Evening, February 14th... so the restaurant was very busy that night. They were understaffed and obviously just couldn't handle both the room service and the restaurant. The front desk agent confirmed that and he did place my order. Within about 10 minutes, he personally brought the desert up to my room. So, I was happy about that.

Overall, this was a pleasant experience, despite the room service issue. I would recommend this hotel to anyone exploring this area of New Hampshire and Vermont.

Stayed February 2004

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!