“Yama in West Lebanon is a great little place.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Lebanon
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Windsor, Vermont
“Yama in West Lebanon is a great little place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

There are two Yamas. One in Hanover and one in West Lebanon. I know some people who eat regularly at Yama and prefer the one in West Lebanon. It is easy to miss it on the Main Street but parking is easy as they have a parking lot.

I met a friend of mine here who is vegan. We had steamed dumplings, sushi, teriyaki tofu and a variety of sauces and tidbits in front of us. We couldn't eat everything. I had a dragon roll with eel on top, which was wonderfully fresh. My friend loved the teriyaki tofu. There were times we were enjoying the food so much, we were silent.

Service was quick and there were people waiting to get a table. The wait on this Friday night while Dartmouth College is in session but it isn't tourist season, we waited about 10 minutes for a table. Be prepared to wait for a table any night.

With all the food we ate, a bag to take home and two sodas, we paid $50 including the tip.

To find Yama in West Lebanon can be a bit tricky at night. It is set off from Main Street but there is a sign by the road. If you are coming from Hartford/Wilder/Hanover area, go through the West Lebanon light (known as "The Point" by the locals) that intersects Main Street and Bridge Street. Start looking on your left for the Yama sign after you go through the light.

If you are coming from West Lebanon Route 12A or the miracle mile, you'll go through the light at Mascoma Bank and the library. Start looking on your right a bit up the road but don't pass the light at the point.

• Visited February 2013

Lyme, New Hampshire
“#1 rating definitely worth it!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Living locally, I have eaten at Yama (both locations) and Yama West Lebanon will always be my first choice. It is a no-frills, rather drab interior, but I have never had a bad meal there.
The staff are always friendly, courteous and usually quite attentive to the needs of diners.
The yama roll is my favorite appetizer, as well as steamed dumplings.
I usuallyh opt for chicken served in the traditional hot stone pot. Also excellent is the tofu served in a spicy hot sauce.
I recommend this restaurant to anyone as the prices are very reasonable, service and food excellent.
I eat there at least once monthly, and a restaurant has to be good if I am to go back again and again!!

Elora, Canada
“A must add to your list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This has become one of my favorite places in the upper valley. Service is always excellent and the staff are extremely help full when you are unsure of what you want. I mainly go from the sushi but the Korean fair is wonderful as well. Price, value and flavor are all top notch.

Lebanon, New Hampshire
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I can only speak for the sushi at Yama Restaurant, although my husband and son love the Korean style food here as well. Yama Restaurant is not what you would expect from the outside or the decor on the inside, but the food, price, and service is excellent again and again. I have been to other restaurants in the area where the consistency of the sushi can change depending on what day of the week or time of day you order. If you love sushi and are in this area, you won't find a better place. I recommend the Unagi Maki and the Salmon Mania.

Plainfield, New Hampshire
“Good family restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This is our favorite local restaurant for many years. Nothing fancy, but clean and friendly with good food. It is the best Asian food in the Upper Valley, and better than a lot we have had in big cities. It is a great place to take kids, too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere