“Amazing Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Ellington, Connecticut
“Amazing Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

If you're looking for a quiet relaxing weekend this is the place! I booked based on their website and the reviews on this site and was not disappointed. The hotel is spotless from the rooms to all the common areas (even the gym). We had a terrific dinner at O's and the next morning went to the spa for a couples massage. I can honestly say this was the best massage I ever had! We had only booked one night but did some sightseeing around the neighboring towns and decided we weren't ready for our weekend getaway to end and returned for Saturday night. Every member of the staff was fantastic in the hotel, spa and restaurant. We definintely plan on returning in the warmer weather to really enjoy all the lake has to offer! All in all one of my favorite places and a great weekend memory!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Woodbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

After enjoying O Steak and Seafood on a couple of trips to New Hampshire and each time admiring the look of this beautiful inn, we decided to spend Christmas weekend here. We enjoyed a holiday package that included a spa treatment, wine delivered to the room, cocoa and gingerbread cookies delivered on another occasion, and dinner at the restaurant. Our stay fulfilled all my fantasies for a lakeside inn in winter. The room was large, beautiful and beyond comfortable. I wanted to pack the entire bed into my suitcase and take it home with me! The public rooms are so cozy and lodge-elegant - we enjoyed a couple of games of billiards and some reading in the library in front of the fire. We also spent a lot of time relaxing in the room taking in the beautiful views of the lake. Waking up to the rising sun painting the lake and sky shades of pink morphing to blue (being able to see the lake from the bed) is a memory I won't soon forget. The entire staff was friendly and efficient - except the housekeeping staff. I am sure they would be friendly if we ever saw them, but they were invisible, while still keeping everything immaculate. We had a wonderful meal at the O on Christmas Eve, but it was closed on Christmas so we ordered Chinese food delivered for Christmas dinner. We ordered from China Bistro which will get its own review - if you are in the area and have a hankerin' for Chinese, this is the place! They delivered very promptly, thoughtfully included plates and utensils, and the food was the best Chinese I have had in my memory. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2010
Montana2, Owner at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
The Holidays are such a magical time of year and spending it with someone special doing exactly what you enjoy is how it should be. We are thrilled that Lake Opechee Inn and Spa was this magical place for you. It is our pleasure to provide wonderful packages that create an above expectations experience for all of our guests. Happy New Year to all of our Guests!
Laconia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

My husband and I spent an evening at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We stayed in a beautiful, comfortable, CLEAN room. Had a romantic dinner at O followed by a quiet moonlit stroll around the grounds. The following morning we enjoyed the continental breakfast...especially the home-made cinnamon muffins!! then a couples massage at Tranquility Springs! We couldn't be more pleased with our stay and plan to be back every year!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
South Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We just got back from the best weekend away. We booked this place after researching the Lakes Region for a nice place to stay and could not believe how nice this place was for the price. Their website truly represents the hotel. We have been duped before by a nice website that made us think a place was much nicer than it was when you got there. Everthing from check in to to departure was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had dinner at the restaurant that was fantastic! It is definitely not a budget restaurant but the service and meal are worth every cent. Our room was quite large and comfy with a fireplace, porch, and had nice view of the little lake. The bath was also a jacuzzi tub and everything was very clean. You can definitely tell that this place is well cared for. Before leaving I checked under our bed to see if we were leaving anything behind and they had a little sign with a smiley face that said "we look under here too". All and all said we will definitely go back to this place and let all our friends know about the hotel as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Montana2, Owner at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
A get a way should be just that; an enjoyable escape of everyday life. It sounds like that is exactly what you got here at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa and that means we are doing our jobs right. I love that you found the note under the bed. One of our top priorities is cleanliness, the note under the bed keeps us on top of things and it has proved to be a great little chuckle for our guests as well. Thank you for your kind words, Safe and Happy Travels to you.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

THIS PLACE DESERVES FIVE STARS

The whirlpool tub floods the floor no matter how much you fill it..

They also have a note book in the room that prior guests are suggested to leave a little note for the next guest to read... Well we should have read through it the first night.. In the book at least 5 people wrote about the whirpool flooding the bathroom... I spent 30 minutes cleaning up the flood of water. When I finished I noticed the mold in the corner wall of the tub.. An obvious sign that this happens frequently. After cleaning I went to the front desk to ask for more towels due to my dilligent and thourough cleaning and hand mopping the bathroom with all the towels in the room. I informed the seemingly kind women at the front desk of my misshap and requested a new set of towels. After a quick speech about the fill line and a repremand. I recieved the towels.. Argh

At check out I mentioned the flooding and was laughed at .... I realized quickly that I cared more about the this place than "some" of the employees. I checked out of this place as fast as I possibly could.. Then I get chased down in the parknig lot cause of a remaining balance and was told that my card been declined. WHAT T F.... After a 30 min akward conversation at the front desk.. Seems I had been over charged by $300. They ran my card at least 4 times thats $1,200 in pending charges.

My only major complaint is the whirlpool and the staffs reaction to it. So if your room floods Just call the front desk ...

Its obvious that the staff and the owners need to "RECONNECT"

Overall I love this place,

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Montana2, Owner at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
It is so rewarding to myself and my staff when we read that someone really appreciates our property. With that said, in this case it comes in spite of a set of inconvenient and mishandled circumstances. I would like to apologize for the response this guest received when reporting a maintenance issue in the guest room. But there is no excuse for the response received. Then the errors made during the check out process are just as unacceptable. I only hope that my apology is accepted in the sincere vain that it is offered and I promise that we will be taking your suggestion to improve our hospitality very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience it is through these comments that as an owner I am able to continually improve our property and our service.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

We recently stayed here for 7 nights in their most expensive suite The Winchester. From the moment we arrived we received bad attitude. Upon walking into the reception we approached the check-in desk and was gretted with "Can I help?" by the Innkeeper. He was not dressed in any kind of uniform and was speaking to us as if we were lost and didn't belong there. We had a change in our reservation from a party of 3 to party of 2 due to an illness and we had contacted them 1 week in advance to inform them and to try and down-grade to a smaller room but we were told they were fully booked which is fair enough. When we checked in The Inkeeprer basically called us liars and said they knew nothing to our alteration and no-one called them but again confirmed that they could not move us to a smaller room as they were "fully booked." After signing the paperwork they gave us no offer or help with our bags. Oh and they will charge you an additional $3 per day for room cleaning something we do not expect when paying circa $340 per night!!!

Obviously we accepted we could not change rooms. From this point we became more annoyed everyday as it was obivous that the hotel was no where near full. Almost all the rooms were vacant in darkness each night and with approx 30 rooms only 4/5 cars in the car park at night and very few people for beakfast each day we knew they just wanted to take the higher rates from us and couldn't care less that the room was way too big for 2 people. This was only issue number 1.

The breakfast is continental buffet style and obviously bought in each day and not the best but okay. Mid way through our stay we were told that our breakfast would be served in our room the next day. When we asked why we were told it was because they had a conference party visiting. This happened without any problems. The following day we were told to come down for at 8.15 for a cooked breakfast! We did so at exactly 8.15 It was obvious that our "cooked breakfast" was the left-overs buffet from the conference party and at 8.30 we were asked to finish up as they were now clearing up!!!! Obviously this conferecne party was far more important than the full paying guests! Oh and they also watered down the fresh orange juice!!

Everytime we walked through reception no-one ever raised thier head to say "Good Morning/Evening" Infact I dont think we ever saw a smile from anyone. To be honest we found the maids more friendly.

As this is a pet friendly hotel they offer a dog walking service. It must be the laziest dog walking service in the world! There is a nice stretch of grass at the lakeside immediately infront of the hotel. I would sometimes go out in the morning to enjoy the views and fresh air and stroll along the grass. I would strongly advise against this as it is heavily littered with dog fouling!!....totally disgusting!

The swimming pool is a joke, we laughed at how small it was, kids have bigger paddling pools in the back yard!..it should known as the swimming pond!

Our room was very nice and spacious but if we opened a window we had a very loud industrial air conditioning system noise and the strong smell of cooked food from the restaurant. It mentions on the website that our room The Winchester #101 is fitted with plasma TV's. You guessed it, no it wasn't. The TV's fitted are generally something you would have thrown out 10 years ago and weren't even widescreen never mind LCD or plasma! Also there was bullet or pellet holes in one of the windows!!!!

We had booked this hotel after reading some promising reviews online but after our stay and reading over these again it became apparant that most people only stay for one night.

The attached restaurant and spa facilites are excellent but it was pointed out to us that these are independantly owned and run...it shows!!

To top everything off they kept a hold on my Credit Card for $2,400 for more than a week after we returned home despite many broken promises, calls and emails. This left us short of funds for the remainder of our stay we had in Boston for shopping.

Overall we received a much higher standard of service from an airport Comfort Inn budget hotel and we were disgusted at the service we received ar Lake Opechee. I would urge anyone to think twice about staying here. We will certainly never go back again. Infact we wish we had never crossed their door. If I could rate lower than one star I would have!...yes it was that bad!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
As the actual Innkeeper, I am happy that this review has been rewritten with proper language so that I have the opportunity to respond and apologize for the unfortunate experience and all of the misunderstandings.

First I always like to thank people for choosing our property for their vacations in New Hampshire, it was unfortunate that, I the Innkeeper was out of town during this time in September. It is always disappointing when a property does not fit a guests needs. As I am sure many travelers can imagine, an intimate size property such as ours; 34 rooms, needs to try and balance the needs of our leisure guests and corporate guests like the group we had on property at the time of this stay. Although, I am happy that during this time period, our leisure guests were not bothered at all by our corporate, as a matter of fact, despite our full house, they didn't even think they were in the building. Again, an unfortunate misunderstanding. The corporate group in house had most breakfasts at our conference center and as for so few cars in the parking lot, the sponsoring company was so kind to provide shuttle bus and trolley car transportation for everyone. Increasing annoyance on a daily basis can really make for a terrible stay, I wish that someone had explained these details then maybe our leisure guests would have felt better about the fact that we were unable to change their room assignment during their stay.
As for the plasma TV, again, I apologize for the misunderstanding. The plasma TV is noted on the website as being in our Lodge Room, a great room to relax in with a stone fireplace and yes, the plasma TV. It is our hope however to continue with improvements and replace the TVs in the guest rooms, they all work but we did buy them 5 years ago from a Hotel supplier and we too would like to see the upgrade. So thank you for that suggestion.

As for the friendliness of our staff, I am truly surprised and apologetic, we have always been recognized for our excellent customer service and our cleanliness. I can assure you that I will share this review with the staff and we will refocus our attention to detailed customer service. I am however pleased to hear that the housekeeping staff showed you the true spirit of our consistently above bar customer service. I guess you might say they earned that automatic housekeeping gratuity of $3.00, which is a common practice here in the states. Again, a misunderstanding that should have been cleared up for you at check in. My team here at the property is wonderful and because of them, I am able to run a successful business I am sorry that you did not get a chance to interact with them and experience it for your self.

It is just so disappointing that you did not discover any tranquility while visiting us; I can not agree more about the lakeside lawn, the goose excrement has been an on going issue since we opened our doors in 2005. I am sorry that it was mistaken for dog fouling. The environmental concerns and mother nature have chosen to bless us with the beauty of natures wildlife but as you know, with wildlife comes their debris of feathers and excrement. We will continue to work with the city and state to try and rectify this issue.

In the spirit of discovering tranquility here at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, we offer an array of relaxing services at the spa that we own exclusively and operate hence, the soaking pool is sized for relaxing including seating on two sides. I am sorry that you found it laughable, I know it is disappointing when you have a preconceived notion in your mind of how something should be and it turns out completely different. With that said, as the owner and manager of the Inn, Spa and Conference Center, I was pleased to read that you found my spa to be excellent.

The on property restaurant is excellent as well, I agree with you. It is managed by another company that I built the facilities for so I am pleased that your experience was acceptable to you. I am however, disappointed that you did not like their cooked breakfast or their orange juice. I will definitely check into whether they water it down or not. I thank you for the heads up, it is constructive comments like this that help our properties to continue improvement and grow.

Again, I can not apologize enough. It is extremely disturbing to me when someone has such a terrible experience with their visit. And then for the preauthorization on the credit card to get hung up with the credit card company... that just really topped off the trip. These days with debit cards and bank cards, the common practice of taking a preauthorization is really causing hassles to the card holders. I know that our accounting department does what ever they possibly can to help out, but unfortunately our system releases any access to the credit cards as soon as the guest checks out so we do not have control over the banks and/or card companies. So frustrating for all parties involved.

Finally, I wish that I had had an opportunity to meet you while you were visiting. I, a female, am actually the Innkeeper and I regret your misunderstanding the position of my guest services representative at the front desk. It is always my hope to know about issues during a guests stay so that my staff and I can do everything in our power to rectify the situation and salvage your vacation. It is my hope that if you are ever in the New Hampshire Lakes Region again, you will give me a call personally; providing an opportunity to help you discover tranquility. Your comments and complaints will be shared with my department managers and the staff as a whole, I know that they will all take something from your comments and improve on their own skills. Thank you again and always travel safe.
Hampden, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Stayed here based on reviews from this site. They were absolutely accurate. We loved it. Room very large and CLEAN. Very quite. Very relaxing. Had a massage that was heavenly!!! The staff was helpful and friendly. Have stayed at a couple of more pricey motels in the area (Church Landing and Mills Falls) and although they are very nice, we enjoyed our time a Lake Opechee Inn and Spa more. Would absolutely recommend this to our friends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Montana2, Owner at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
It is so rewarding to read these reviews. Lake Opechee Inn and Spa is a true labor of love for not just myself and my family but for all of the team members as well. Many of them have been with us since we opened in 2005 and they helped set everything up, so it is very important to them that all of our guests enjoy their stay with us. So thank you again for your kind words and taking the time to write about your great stay with us. Happy Travels

Been to Lake Opechee Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!