“Never again, a must read! certainly not 5 star service!!!” 1 of 5 stars

62 Doris Ray Court, Laconia, NH 03246   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Never again, a must read! certainly not 5 star service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

We recently stayed here for 7 nights in their most expensive suite The Winchester. From the moment we arrived we received bad attitude. Upon walking into the reception we approached the check-in desk and was gretted with "Can I help?" by the Innkeeper. He was not dressed in any kind of uniform and was speaking to us as if we were lost and didn't belong there. We had a change in our reservation from a party of 3 to party of 2 due to an illness and we had contacted them 1 week in advance to inform them and to try and down-grade to a smaller room but we were told they were fully booked which is fair enough. When we checked in The Inkeeprer basically called us liars and said they knew nothing to our alteration and no-one called them but again confirmed that they could not move us to a smaller room as they were "fully booked." After signing the paperwork they gave us no offer or help with our bags. Oh and they will charge you an additional $3 per day for room cleaning something we do not expect when paying circa $340 per night!!!

Obviously we accepted we could not change rooms. From this point we became more annoyed everyday as it was obivous that the hotel was no where near full. Almost all the rooms were vacant in darkness each night and with approx 30 rooms only 4/5 cars in the car park at night and very few people for beakfast each day we knew they just wanted to take the higher rates from us and couldn't care less that the room was way too big for 2 people. This was only issue number 1.

The breakfast is continental buffet style and obviously bought in each day and not the best but okay. Mid way through our stay we were told that our breakfast would be served in our room the next day. When we asked why we were told it was because they had a conference party visiting. This happened without any problems. The following day we were told to come down for at 8.15 for a cooked breakfast! We did so at exactly 8.15 It was obvious that our "cooked breakfast" was the left-overs buffet from the conference party and at 8.30 we were asked to finish up as they were now clearing up!!!! Obviously this conferecne party was far more important than the full paying guests! Oh and they also watered down the fresh orange juice!!

Everytime we walked through reception no-one ever raised thier head to say "Good Morning/Evening" Infact I dont think we ever saw a smile from anyone. To be honest we found the maids more friendly.

As this is a pet friendly hotel they offer a dog walking service. It must be the laziest dog walking service in the world! There is a nice stretch of grass at the lakeside immediately infront of the hotel. I would sometimes go out in the morning to enjoy the views and fresh air and stroll along the grass. I would strongly advise against this as it is heavily littered with dog fouling!!....totally disgusting!

The swimming pool is a joke, we laughed at how small it was, kids have bigger paddling pools in the back yard!..it should known as the swimming pond!

Our room was very nice and spacious but if we opened a window we had a very loud industrial air conditioning system noise and the strong smell of cooked food from the restaurant. It mentions on the website that our room The Winchester #101 is fitted with plasma TV's. You guessed it, no it wasn't. The TV's fitted are generally something you would have thrown out 10 years ago and weren't even widescreen never mind LCD or plasma! Also there was bullet or pellet holes in one of the windows!!!!

We had booked this hotel after reading some promising reviews online but after our stay and reading over these again it became apparant that most people only stay for one night.

The attached restaurant and spa facilites are excellent but it was pointed out to us that these are independantly owned and run...it shows!!

To top everything off they kept a hold on my Credit Card for $2,400 for more than a week after we returned home despite many broken promises, calls and emails. This left us short of funds for the remainder of our stay we had in Boston for shopping.

Overall we received a much higher standard of service from an airport Comfort Inn budget hotel and we were disgusted at the service we received ar Lake Opechee. I would urge anyone to think twice about staying here. We will certainly never go back again. Infact we wish we had never crossed their door. If I could rate lower than one star I would have!...yes it was that bad!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Montana2, Owner at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
As the actual Innkeeper, I am happy that this review has been rewritten with proper language so that I have the opportunity to respond and apologize for the unfortunate experience and all of the misunderstandings.

First I always like to thank people for choosing our property for their vacations in New Hampshire, it was unfortunate that, I the Innkeeper was out of town during this time in September. It is always disappointing when a property does not fit a guests needs. As I am sure many travelers can imagine, an intimate size property such as ours; 34 rooms, needs to try and balance the needs of our leisure guests and corporate guests like the group we had on property at the time of this stay. Although, I am happy that during this time period, our leisure guests were not bothered at all by our corporate, as a matter of fact, despite our full house, they didn't even think they were in the building. Again, an unfortunate misunderstanding. The corporate group in house had most breakfasts at our conference center and as for so few cars in the parking lot, the sponsoring company was so kind to provide shuttle bus and trolley car transportation for everyone. Increasing annoyance on a daily basis can really make for a terrible stay, I wish that someone had explained these details then maybe our leisure guests would have felt better about the fact that we were unable to change their room assignment during their stay.
As for the plasma TV, again, I apologize for the misunderstanding. The plasma TV is noted on the website as being in our Lodge Room, a great room to relax in with a stone fireplace and yes, the plasma TV. It is our hope however to continue with improvements and replace the TVs in the guest rooms, they all work but we did buy them 5 years ago from a Hotel supplier and we too would like to see the upgrade. So thank you for that suggestion.

As for the friendliness of our staff, I am truly surprised and apologetic, we have always been recognized for our excellent customer service and our cleanliness. I can assure you that I will share this review with the staff and we will refocus our attention to detailed customer service. I am however pleased to hear that the housekeeping staff showed you the true spirit of our consistently above bar customer service. I guess you might say they earned that automatic housekeeping gratuity of $3.00, which is a common practice here in the states. Again, a misunderstanding that should have been cleared up for you at check in. My team here at the property is wonderful and because of them, I am able to run a successful business I am sorry that you did not get a chance to interact with them and experience it for your self.

It is just so disappointing that you did not discover any tranquility while visiting us; I can not agree more about the lakeside lawn, the goose excrement has been an on going issue since we opened our doors in 2005. I am sorry that it was mistaken for dog fouling. The environmental concerns and mother nature have chosen to bless us with the beauty of natures wildlife but as you know, with wildlife comes their debris of feathers and excrement. We will continue to work with the city and state to try and rectify this issue.

In the spirit of discovering tranquility here at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, we offer an array of relaxing services at the spa that we own exclusively and operate hence, the soaking pool is sized for relaxing including seating on two sides. I am sorry that you found it laughable, I know it is disappointing when you have a preconceived notion in your mind of how something should be and it turns out completely different. With that said, as the owner and manager of the Inn, Spa and Conference Center, I was pleased to read that you found my spa to be excellent.

The on property restaurant is excellent as well, I agree with you. It is managed by another company that I built the facilities for so I am pleased that your experience was acceptable to you. I am however, disappointed that you did not like their cooked breakfast or their orange juice. I will definitely check into whether they water it down or not. I thank you for the heads up, it is constructive comments like this that help our properties to continue improvement and grow.

Again, I can not apologize enough. It is extremely disturbing to me when someone has such a terrible experience with their visit. And then for the preauthorization on the credit card to get hung up with the credit card company... that just really topped off the trip. These days with debit cards and bank cards, the common practice of taking a preauthorization is really causing hassles to the card holders. I know that our accounting department does what ever they possibly can to help out, but unfortunately our system releases any access to the credit cards as soon as the guest checks out so we do not have control over the banks and/or card companies. So frustrating for all parties involved.

Finally, I wish that I had had an opportunity to meet you while you were visiting. I, a female, am actually the Innkeeper and I regret your misunderstanding the position of my guest services representative at the front desk. It is always my hope to know about issues during a guests stay so that my staff and I can do everything in our power to rectify the situation and salvage your vacation. It is my hope that if you are ever in the New Hampshire Lakes Region again, you will give me a call personally; providing an opportunity to help you discover tranquility. Your comments and complaints will be shared with my department managers and the staff as a whole, I know that they will all take something from your comments and improve on their own skills. Thank you again and always travel safe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Hampden, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Stayed here based on reviews from this site. They were absolutely accurate. We loved it. Room very large and CLEAN. Very quite. Very relaxing. Had a massage that was heavenly!!! The staff was helpful and friendly. Have stayed at a couple of more pricey motels in the area (Church Landing and Mills Falls) and although they are very nice, we enjoyed our time a Lake Opechee Inn and Spa more. Would absolutely recommend this to our friends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Montana2, Owner at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
It is so rewarding to read these reviews. Lake Opechee Inn and Spa is a true labor of love for not just myself and my family but for all of the team members as well. Many of them have been with us since we opened in 2005 and they helped set everything up, so it is very important to them that all of our guests enjoy their stay with us. So thank you again for your kind words and taking the time to write about your great stay with us. Happy Travels
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

My first pet-peeve with hotels is always the extra-firm beds. Not here, it was like sleeping on a cloud. The room was large and spacious, featuring an elegant gas fireplace with a sitting area, an abundance of pillows, large windows with darkening shades.

The staff was courteous and helpful. We checked in late and missed the hotel restaurant, but the hotel clerk was able to recommend "Cactus Jack" just a few minutes down the road.

I hope to return there again because we didn't have time to take the bi-plane tour of the lake.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is a relatively new hotel on the edge of a smallish lake in the city of Laconia, NH. My wife & I got a partial lake view king-bed room, and the room was quite enormous. THe partial-lake-view billing was accurate: our view was about 50% lake, and 50% parking lot and gravel-topped roof. The room had a natural gas fireplace (which we used) and a small balcony overlooking the lake (which we didn't). Also a jacuzzi tub. Continental breakfast is included, and there's a Keurig coffee machine you can use at any time. The Lakeport neighborhood of Laconia is not very exciting; the nearby restaurant Fratello's is decent Italian (with live music) and the "O" restaurant in the hotel (front desk will make you a reservation, and you need it) is an extremely lively (and good) steakhouse, possibly the center of Laconia evenings. The hotel is about 15 minutes to other Lakes region towns such as Meredith, and about an hour to the White Mountains. My wife used the spa for a massage & facial & rated it well. We didn't check out the fitness room or pool since we took a hike.

I found the bed & pillows a bit soft, which impeded my sleep, but this is a matter of preference. The hotel was extremely quiet (no kids).

I would recommend this hotel as a good getaway/base for exploring NH and then coming back for a relaxing afternoon & evening. It's not a full-service resort & there's not too much to do in Laconia itself, so plan to leave after breakfast and return late in the afternoon.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

When you look at the photos on their website you get the feeling this place is someplace remote. It isn't. Choose the lake view room for starters. The tree view is actually a stones throw away from the road. The wall paper in the hallways would lead you to believe that this is a classically decorated New England INN (with a capital I) but the room plates give the southwestern motif away, enter the room and you'll find yourself in New Mexico or someplace similar. Which when you are vacationing in New England is kind of strange. BUT the beds are comfy, the bathrooms spacious, and it's super quiet. Unfortunately, the town is a series of chain stores, pawn shops, and buildings for rent. There is a bike/walking path which hides a great deal of the non-picturesque town. And the restaurant in the Inn (O Steakhouse) is pretty darn tasty. P.S. the free high speed internet is wired!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
West Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

The rooms were quite spacious and the staff was excellent from start to finish. The hotel, spa, and dining were all top notch and the place is not only peaceful and quaint, but very clean. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My husband and I recently went to Lake Opechee Inn & Spa for a weekend getaway. The Inn was beautiful. The rooms were so spacious and very very comfortable. We paid extra for the lake view. Not sure if there's much of a difference between a lake view room and a partial lake view room besides the price. The restaurant was absolutely delicious. Although the Inn had Adirondack chairs and a patio, my husband and I were looking for more of a spot right on the lake rather than across a driveway. There is no place to lounge on the lakefront or swim really - that's the only drawback.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake Opechee Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!