“What a pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
30% More Wyndham Rewards
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Schenectady, NY
“What a pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We were visiting Keene and just wanted a clean, safe place to stay. We found all of that and more at the Super 8 in Keene. Our room was obviously recently renovated, and was spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable, and the room was adequate in size. This is not a high-end hotel, but it served our purposes well. The breakfast was even better than expected; nice selection of cereal, bagel, english muffins, muffins, yogurt, fruit and even made to order waffles. Considering the price of the room, we really were very surprised to find such a nice breakfast. Tea, coffee and juice were available around the clock.

We had reserved the room for 2 nights, but decided to leave a day early due to an impending snow storm. The staff was very accomodating and cancelled our second night without question. It was a very pleasant experience, and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wallingford, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

This was one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed at. We booked this over the summer to attend the Pumpkin Festival in Keene NH. I read all the reviews on Trip Advisor and at that time they were all positive. All I can say is the people who thought this was a good hotel must have been staying at a different place. We went with my family and had three rooms. We were told that 2 were smoking because that was all they had. The third was not supposed to be. When we arrived they were all smoking. The smell was unbelievable. My children took one look and smell of the room and wanted to go home. Even the halls smelled of disinfectant and smoke. We had brought an air filter because my daughter has asthma (and had planned on staying in the one non-smoking room) but it didn't do any good. We left the window open all night. Every time I turned over at night a puff of smoke smell would come out of the mattress. The lobby looked like a rec room of discarded furniture. My daughter sat on a recliner and then couldn't get up because it was broken. The lobby is where they serve breakfast and there is only room for about 6 people to sit down. To top it off the power went out for several hours on saturday night. The management claimed that it was due to a car accident but all the properties around it had power. We knew this wasn't a luxury hotel but to pay $179 for a hotel that hadn't been renovated in 30 years and smelled this bad really was unacceptable. I felt bad because I had picked the hotel from Trip Advisor suggestions and as a result my whole family ended up at this terrible hotel. I love Trip Advisor but they definately got this one wrong.

On a positive note, I would hightly recommend the Pumpkin festival itself--it was great fun.

The highlight of our weekend (and the reason I am glad we chose not to go home) was our dinner at Luca's Mediterranean Cafe. My mother is Italian and she proclaimed it "the best dinner she has ever eatten" and believe me my parents have eatten at some of the best restaurants in the world so this is high praise. Luca himself came over to make sure everything was OK. The atmosphere was really enjoyable and everything we ordered was truly excellent.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — smoke smell, needs to be renovated, staff abrupt
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

After consulting the trip advisor reviews, we booked this hotel for the 2008 pumpkin festival. This is the only time I have felt that I was steered wrong by the reviews. This place is terrible. We got stuck in a smoking room. It smelled so bad we had to wash everything we brought including our coats and the bags we brought our clothes in. The cigarette smell gave us all headaches. It seems that half this hotel is smoking. The hallways are dark and dingy. The lobby looks like someone furnished in their leftover family room lazyboy chairs. The staff is unfriendly. The power went out while we were here and they had no candles or anything for the guests to use. The breakfast is in a crowded hall and there is only seating for four so you have to bring it back to your room. We could not get out of this place fast enough.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cigarette smoke smell
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland OHIO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

Homey Lobby, friendly staff, comfy beds and QUIET rooms, what more can you ask for? Well how about economical too? That too! Best choice, even if you have to travel 10 or 60 miles out of your way. This is the best Super 8, at the best price than we have found in all our travels. It is the QUIETEST room we have ever found from any hotel/motel chain. OK, so the rooms are small, the most important features we look for are Clean and comfy beds, a QUIET room with a QUIET A/C. We have found that QUIET is very hard to find in most hotel/motel chains. The Keene Super 8 gave us all this AND it is in the middle of some awesome fall foliage. All in all, we had a wonderful trip back to Cleveland from Boston and the Keene Super 8 sure helped make it special. Oh, Yes, we included a side trip to the apple orchard for some cider.

Josh and Mabel
2 senior citizens from Cleveland Ohio

• Liked — QUIET location and Quiet Heater/Air Conditioner
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Castle Creek, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

Stayed two nights in a row to attend a graduation. Used a reward night for the first night and was given the only room available, a smoking room. Yes it was very stinky and even keeping the window open did not help. When making the reservation we said we needed a rollaway bed, yet when we got there they argued they could not give us one due to fire code. Eventually my husband talked them into giving us the smallest rollaway bed they had. Very impressed by the free breakfast which included make your own waffles...my kids thought that was great. I expected only muffins and coffee.
They moved us to a nonsmoking room by 10am the next morning, very timely. All rooms have a fridge and microwave. Hotel is right off the main road, easy to find and convenient to stores and places to eat. Overall ok experience.

• Liked — convenient location to everything, nice free breakfast
  • Disliked — small rooms, smoking rooms leak smell into hallways
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montpelier, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

Stayed at the Super 8 as part of a group hotel deal that was offered to me. As a home base for exploring the area the hotel was okay, if you are looking for a place to spend some time on the property I would probabaly look elsewhere.

The room we were given smelled of cigarette smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. Upon further investigation my husband and I figured out it was coming from the heating system so there was little we could do about it. The bathroom had mildew in the tub and on the toilet. The walls to the hotel were paper thin, we could hear and even participate in our neighbors conversations if we wanted to. The TV only had 12 channels 3 of which were local stations and 2 were HBO which means no food network or the travel channel.

I do have to commend the staff at the hotel, everyone we encountered were very nice and eager to help. I do not see myself going back, next time I am in the area will probabaly go to the Best Western accross the street.

• Liked — proximity to shopping
  • Disliked — bad smell in room
  • Stayed December 2007
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Easy to find- right off main route. Staff is focused on the customers. Many restaurants like Olive Garden, and others right in the parking lot, also a BORDERS book store which stays open late ! Very clean room, quiet, comfortable beds, very impressive for a SUper 8. Breakfast area is tight but nice to have food available in the morning. Newspapers available for guests and plenty of info on local sights.ALso refrigerator and coffee maker right in the room ! Will be back, if in the area again !

• Liked — Location. Plenty of family dining choices close by!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Keene? Share your experiences!