“romantic and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand View Estate

The Grand View Estate
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jaffrey
The Grand View Estate
You added The Grand View Estate to your Saves list
580 Mountain Road, Jaffrey, NH 03452   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Jaffrey B&B and Inns
CONNECTICUT
“romantic and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

My husband took me here for my 40th birthday. It was a wonderful weekend...the view was stunning and the room was lovely. The food was plentiful and delicious. We plan a return visit...when we can get away without children, as this is a romantic place.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

For Valentine's Day this year, I wanted to do something very special, so I looked at the Grand View Inn. I have been here several times in the past and have always had a great experience. This special weekend topped them all.

Grand View ran a special Valentine's Day weekend package. $300 got us the room, continental breakfast, dinner at their on-site restaurant Churchills, champagne in our room, a silver necklace and a 30 minute massage for two. This also included tax and gratuity.

We were greeted very warmly and shown to our room. The rooms are located in an old country mansion that feels like home, especially since we have been here so often. We were in room 6, the Wheeler Room, which is my favorite. It is isolated, on the third floor. The decorations remind me of a beach cottage on the Cape.

Dinner was beyond fantastic. I had risotto, a strawberry and field greens salad, filet mignon and creme brulee. I loved every aspect of dinner.

Back at the house, there was plenty to do in the evening. We played pool and board games and then retired to bed. During the evening, the owners even stopped by to make sure everything was okay.

The breakfast was somewhat disappointing in the morning. We got down to the kitchen with an hour to go until the end of breakfast and there was hardly anything left for us to eat. Breakfast was typical continental with cereal, pastry, oatmeal and toast. Some bagels and croissants would have been a nice addition.

Then we headed to the spa for our massages. I was able to steam and sauna while I waited my turn and had another nice chat with the owner.

All in all, this is always a great place to stay and I will always recommend it to friends and family. Scott and Kelly are invested in their inn and it shows. I have always found them to be pleasant and eager to please. I can't wait to plan my next trip!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

For a unique experience in fine dining you should take the time to visit Churchill's at The Grand View Inn & Resort. The cuisine is excellent! The waitstaff is friendly, upbeat, and extremely courteous and Chef always comes out for a meet and greet with the guests. The restaurant with it's rustic appearance, go hand in hand with the New England Vibe and the place settings are elegant with a romantic glow. This is a great place to start or rekindle a romance.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
mass
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

the room was great, the service and food was amazing. but i come back from a day trip to find a man rushing out of my room, and my computer gone threw with pictures of me in my bathing suit open on the screen! if it wasn't for that total violation, then it would have been a perfect trip!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
scottmitchell, Owner at The Grand View Estate, responded to this review, February 9, 2010
My concern with your accusations are that if you found your computer tampered with directly after you saw the gentleman leave the room, why did you not bring it to his or someone’s attention during your dinner service seeing as he was your server? If you were so violated I would think you wouldn’t have had an appetite. If you found that your computer was tampered with after dinner, why did you not bring it to anyone’s attention then? I would think if you felt violated you would not be comfortable enough to spend the night at the Inn. If you found your computer to be tampered with the next morning, this leaves a window of opportunity for anyone to have tampered with it. I find it convenient that your feelings of violation came upon check out time.
Our intentions are to provide a comfortable atmosphere with the highest quality products and services. The fact that you enjoyed your dinner and stayed until the maximum check out time, reveals that your feelings of violation only came upon payment. The compensation of money off your room would only admit to guilt for something we can prove we did not do. We take pride in our business and we hold our guests’ privacy in the highest regards.
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

We stayed here with family and loved it. The staff was attentive and nice, the food at Churchhill's was great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

stayed here over the weekend. Beautiful old building with plenty of common spaces on first floor. The main inn is 100x nicer than the small side cottage which has zero of the inns charm. If you stay here I recommend staying in one of the rooms in the main building. Views of the property are all nice, breakfast was just so so (coffee, tea, toast, boxed cereals). Pool table and projection tv in basement was fun. No TVs in the room but we didnt mind...nice area for those who enjoy the outdoors hiking around , not much in Jaffrey but nearby peterboro has more ...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I was heading to New Hampshire the weekend following Thanksgiving, to get some custom hockey equipment fitted and to enjoy the great State of New Hampshire. I had called many places, and they were all booked. I finally came upon The Grand View Inn, and after talking with the staff on the phone, made the reservation. The Inn is located at the base of Mount Monadnock, on beautiful, sprawling property. For those looking for a 5 star accommodation at the base of a mountain in the New Hampshire bush... I am sorry to say, if you find one, look to pay more than the paltry $175 a night.

The buildings that compose the Inn, are all lovely, inside and out. The room we stayed in, the Shearer (#9), was very nice for the price. Fireplace, jacuzzi, wonderful king sized bed, a couch, and some antique furniture made up the room. There was no TV in the room itself, but that turned out to be no problem. The water does smell of sulphur (at first), but I recognize the logistics of running water when you are in an area as sparsely populated as where The Grand View Inn is located.

While I was out shopping for hockey gear, my girlfriend had an herbal oil massage and treatment at the on-site spa, which she completely loved. She was in a very good mood for the entire trip, and I have little doubt the massage set her up nicely!

Breakfast is continental, with an assortment of cereals, breads, bagels, muffins, homemade butter, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh melon, and juices. Not the best I have ever had, but it was sufficient. The dinner, however, was the highlight of the weekend. The menu is exquisite and ambitious, I almost laughed to myself when I first read it when they were kind enough to include a copy in my confirmation letter. The building that houses the party hall and dining room, is quite extravagant, and it caught me off guard. You could easily hold a wedding in that building, and have a lovely one at that. The meal was wonderful, from the appetizer to the dessert. A 3 course meal that we totally enjoyed, ran us less than half of what I would expect to pay in my native New York City. And to tell the truth, if Scott were to take his dining operation to NYC... he could charge a fortune and have a line around the block full of people waiting to eat. Eating at Churchill's was truly a culinary experience!

To address what other reviewers have stated about the service, and particularly the owner and the staff... I can honestly say I don't have a bad thing to say about Scott, the service, or any other staff. We spoke with Scott a number of times, from when we first arrived, til when we drove off the property on our way home. He was polite, courteous, and very personable. He is obviously trained in the food service industry, and it shows. Every accommodation was made for us, and every question answered. We needed firewood, and help starting the fire... he came within minutes of being called, and started the fire right up for us. The remainder of the staff was equally as nice, and we did not have any problems that needed to be addressed.

I would return to The Grand View Inn, in any season, and expect the same lovely experience. I highly recommend the Inn!

• Liked — Dinner, Jacuzzi, comfy bed
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Grand View Estate? Share your experiences!