“Would Absolutely Stay Again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand View Estate

The Grand View Estate
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jaffrey
The Grand View Estate
You added The Grand View Estate to your Saves list
580 Mountain Road, Jaffrey, NH 03452   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Jaffrey B&B and Inns
Long Island
“Would Absolutely Stay Again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I was heading to New Hampshire the weekend following Thanksgiving, to get some custom hockey equipment fitted and to enjoy the great State of New Hampshire. I had called many places, and they were all booked. I finally came upon The Grand View Inn, and after talking with the staff on the phone, made the reservation. The Inn is located at the base of Mount Monadnock, on beautiful, sprawling property. For those looking for a 5 star accommodation at the base of a mountain in the New Hampshire bush... I am sorry to say, if you find one, look to pay more than the paltry $175 a night.

The buildings that compose the Inn, are all lovely, inside and out. The room we stayed in, the Shearer (#9), was very nice for the price. Fireplace, jacuzzi, wonderful king sized bed, a couch, and some antique furniture made up the room. There was no TV in the room itself, but that turned out to be no problem. The water does smell of sulphur (at first), but I recognize the logistics of running water when you are in an area as sparsely populated as where The Grand View Inn is located.

While I was out shopping for hockey gear, my girlfriend had an herbal oil massage and treatment at the on-site spa, which she completely loved. She was in a very good mood for the entire trip, and I have little doubt the massage set her up nicely!

Breakfast is continental, with an assortment of cereals, breads, bagels, muffins, homemade butter, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh melon, and juices. Not the best I have ever had, but it was sufficient. The dinner, however, was the highlight of the weekend. The menu is exquisite and ambitious, I almost laughed to myself when I first read it when they were kind enough to include a copy in my confirmation letter. The building that houses the party hall and dining room, is quite extravagant, and it caught me off guard. You could easily hold a wedding in that building, and have a lovely one at that. The meal was wonderful, from the appetizer to the dessert. A 3 course meal that we totally enjoyed, ran us less than half of what I would expect to pay in my native New York City. And to tell the truth, if Scott were to take his dining operation to NYC... he could charge a fortune and have a line around the block full of people waiting to eat. Eating at Churchill's was truly a culinary experience!

To address what other reviewers have stated about the service, and particularly the owner and the staff... I can honestly say I don't have a bad thing to say about Scott, the service, or any other staff. We spoke with Scott a number of times, from when we first arrived, til when we drove off the property on our way home. He was polite, courteous, and very personable. He is obviously trained in the food service industry, and it shows. Every accommodation was made for us, and every question answered. We needed firewood, and help starting the fire... he came within minutes of being called, and started the fire right up for us. The remainder of the staff was equally as nice, and we did not have any problems that needed to be addressed.

I would return to The Grand View Inn, in any season, and expect the same lovely experience. I highly recommend the Inn!

• Liked — Dinner, Jacuzzi, comfy bed
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

The Inn has a beautiful piece of property but is very poorly maintained. We stayed in the side house that has three rooms. It was dirty and the water smelled so strongly of sulfur we were sure the septic system was backed up. When we alerted the staff we were told that it was the minerals from the well, I'm not sure about that. Either way I could shower there and walked across to the spa. A nice buidling but empty the whole time we were there and not kept up at the level it should have been. The breakfast was a poor selection and the kitchen was also poorly kept. Overall I would not stay here again.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Winchester, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

I loved the Grand View Inn, I have been there three times in the last year, and I will go back again next winter for another night of pampering. The food at the restaurant is UNBELIEVABLE, and the staff makes a great effort to be accommodating. I just read someone's very negative review and it's hard for me to imagine we were staying at the same place! I especially can't relate to the experience they had with the owner Scott, whom I have found to be very nice. As far as amenities, this place has everything: trails, hot tub, steam room, sauna, delicious restaurant, and nice rooms and staff. It's also close to Boston, and to Windblown, which is a great cross country ski center, if groomed trails are what you're after.

Jessica

Stayed February 2007
Manchester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

It was 20 degrees and snowing when we walked into our suite and realized there was no heat. Suzanne at the front desk assured us the problem would be fixed as soon as the owner Scott arrived. We then got the run around from 3pm to 6pm before Suzanne made the executive decision to move us to another room, which lacked the jacuzzi and fireplace we had paid for. I asked to speak to Scott, who studiously avoided us until we had dinner in the inn's dining room. He appeared in chef's garb and opened our bottle of wine. He grudgingly admitted he was the owner, never looking us the face. He muttered something about the heat problem being fixed. Rather than causing a scene, I said we would be happy to move back to our original room, which we did around 10pm. This set the tone for the weekend--Scott wandering around, slamming doors, and giving the impression that he thoroughly hated running the inn and having to put up with these jerks who were paying $175 a night for the privilege of enjoying his sunny disposition. This place bills itself as a full service inn with a spa. I could complain about the unprofessional, adolescent staff, the measly bottle of shampoo and prison-sized bar of soap which comprised the bath amenities, or the fact that one of our dinner salads came out a full 10 minutes after the others, but the real problem here is SCOTT. He is sullen and arrogant, and in the wrong business. He created a toxic atmosphere which poisoned our New Year's weekend. This place is a Must to Avoid!

• Liked — Beautiful natural setting
  • Disliked — Obnoxious owner
  • Tips/Secrets — Wait til he goes bankrupt and new management takes over
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

I am not hard to please and rarely very picky, but this place should be avoided at all costs. Generally the mark of an excellent hotel is the 'anything you need is no problem' attitude of the entire staff. Since this inn charges top dollar, I expected that attitude from employees and owners, but was sorely disappointed. When we requested anything at this resort it seemed as if we were imposing and there was little or no response to requests for pretty standard things. The property is beautiful and so is the inn. I thought the restaurant was good enough too, but it's not worth the avggravation of dealing with the management. Seriously, pick a different place, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2005

My husband and I booked for one week (our honeymoon!) but left after two days.

The furniture in the rooms was surprisingly cheap for the price we were paying and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned prior to our arrival. When I asked them to take a look at the bathroom, they told me it was fine. During my time there the only cleaning of the room, including the bathroom, that I could see was the emptying of trash.

The restaurant food seemed to be thrown together and was barely warm. We found better fare elsewhere.

The problem that motivated us to leave early started when we were rudely disturbed by the very loud sound of guns shooting off near the Inn.

When my husband complained, he was surprised to find out that all the shooting was from the owner's target practice! The owners then proceeded to insult my husband for his "sensitivity," and continued shooting off and on throughout the day.

After three hours of this rather strange behavior, accompanyed by further insults, we packed up and left. When we asked for a refund for the five days balance on our reservation, the owners became offensive and refused to refund our money. I'd say that our stay was not what we expected.

• Stayed June 2005
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2005

My Husband and I stayed at the Grand View for a mini-winter vacation and were pleasantly surprised by what we experienced.

We arrived during a very intense snow storm to find one of the many friendly staff members waiting to welcome us to what can only be descibed as the most peaceful and lovely place I've been on the East coast.

We were the only guests in the Inn and enjoyed the historical house and the spa to ourselves after an extremely delicious gourmet meat at the restaurant, Churchill's. The two meals we ate that weekend will forever remain in our memories and are the standard to which we compare all meals.

The staff and owners were so friendly and made us feel like we were home. The entire experience has convinced us that there is more to life than our over-worked schedules.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to The Grand View Estate? Share your experiences!