“Nice big old hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Jackson
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice big old hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Eagle Mountain House with our 2 dogs for 2 nights over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is a charming place to stay. The Staff is fabulous and try to meet your every need. We ate in the pub, and the food was good. We did not try the dining room. The grounds and golf course are well maintained. The hotel is older and could use paint-both inside and out. The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable. Nice sheets!

Room Tip: We were on the ground level due to the dogs. Most rooms are in the main building on floors 1-3
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Please don't go hear expecting a corporate type of hotel, this property is over 130 years old so is very quirky. The location can not be faulted with views into the mountains, very quiet and peaceful. I have stayed here on a number of occasions and never got two rooms the same but all were comfortable and quirky. Everything creaks but when I get to that age so will I.
Food is good and varied, we had a 2 for $25 menu that was very good.
The best asset that this hotel has is the staff who without exception made us welcome and went above and beyond to make the stay special. Thanks to Glen we experienced some great walks that were not to taxing.
Definitely return again.
Oh the lift is a work of art, I wish I could have videotaped it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Saco, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed one evening and was thrilled to be a part of such an architectural gem, the porch is just perfect, the room was clean, the bed comfortable. I tried the breakfast only, hoping since one of the latest offerings for dinner is wild blueberry chicken blah blah for dinner, I figured they had some on hand (early in the season) I didn't even think to ask if the blueberries were of the gruesome thick sauce variety; well, that was a mistake. The belgian waffle I was looking fwd to was served with that, no real maple syrup was offered. The cinnamon butter was very hard, but tasty, didn't really melt on the waffle- surprisingly small. The coffee was strong and adequate...
the variety store in Jackson has great brunch options, will stick to this next time (off season)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Steenwijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

It is not often that you find a place where everything fits. The drive to the Eagle house is, crossing the covered bridge of Jackson, the Jackson waterfalls and the Mountain scenery pilles up to the Majestic first view of the grand Eagle mountain house. This and the ambiance, the service, the history and scenery, everything pilled up to be a one of a kind guest experience where you are not a room number, but a pesron, couple or family. Ofcourse there could be some improvement, the paint job might need a update here and there, and the restaurant sound system could be intergrated in the wall etc. I strongly recommend visiting the place, even if it is just for a cup of coffee.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the house.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This review is for dinner and not the whole property. We didn't stay here but the resort and old house is very quaint and beautiful. We went for dinner since my mother has always wanted to go, and they have a 2 for $25 special during the week. The view from the dining room and the decor are great, the food though was only average. I had the shrimp scampi which although flavorful was nothing outstanding. My mother had the stuffed chicken breast with mashed potatoes and vegetables. The portion was very large and she liked the vegetables but the chicken was lukewarm. We felt hurried since the entree was delivered by another server almost immediately after we got our salads which we had waited for. I appreciate prompt serve but our server seemed out of sync. Although our server was friendly she seemed hurried and had so much strong perfume on it was just overpowering. The maple crust apple pie for dessert was nothing special. Overall the meal was very average and thankfully I didn't have to pay the menu prices. Would come back he to stay but wouldn't be really interested in having dinner here. There are many oter options in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

No matter what time of year we stay here it is always a pleasure. The staff is always pleasant and accommodating. The rooms are clean
,bright and comfortable. You just feel so good staying there. We stay here a least a couple times a year. I hope they never change. A great old hotel resort!

• Stayed April 2013
York, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The location cannot be beat. I have stayed and organized a wonderful Sept. waterfall tour (there are many!), surprised my sister for an October birthday weekend, had Thanksgiving dinner there--fabulous- snowshoing on property Jan, my husband golfed in spring and we are going next week end for our anniversary! Do I like it? YES!
We are avid hikers and there are so many opportunities in this area. Our rooms have always been really clean, yes, a little dated. However, the staff is friendly and helpful. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about food and dining as we are very healthy eaters, however EMH has a lot of options and will also work with you around food choices. Recommend!

Room Tip: choose one that has a walk out to the porch
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club? Share your experiences!