“What a disappointment! All that's left is the memories of many other wonderful visits years ago at the Christmas Farm” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Christmas Farm Inn & Spa

You added Christmas Farm Inn & Spa to your Saves list
Christmas Farm Inn & Spa
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   3 Blitzen Way, Black Mountain Road, Jackson, NH 03846   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Jackson B&B and Inns
massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I am SOOO glad that I hadn't recommended this place to someone else. After numerous wonderful times at the inn, we were sadly disappointed to return and see how much the inn has gone downhill. It is in disrepair, unclean, unfriendly, no breakfasts (on the weekend we were there), so so dinner experience. I could go on and on but basically I am in agreement with the previous reviews. I would NOT recommend the inn to anyone and I will not be back. The old charm, friendliness, cleanliness and delicious food is gone :( Santa would be sadly disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Jackson, NH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We had a gift certificate to the restaurant and made reservation for 7:30pm. We showed up on time and two young women were waiting to be seated before us. The host asked if they had reservations. They didn't, but he smiled curtiously and showed them to a table. He returned asked if we had reservations, we told him we did and he said it was a 15 or 20 minute wait even though we were looking at an empty table all set with glasses, plates, napkins for four. I asked about the previous two guests being seated immediately even though they didn't have reservations and the guy obviously felt challenged, he just stiffened up and said "15 to 20 minute wait". Ya, okay, we went into the bar. We were finally seated and the meal was okay, but I got pretty sick afterwards. Recommendation - find someplace else to eat.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Stayed there with my family over the Columbus Day weekend in a very nice room in the main building. This was our first visit to Christmas Farm Inn so we had no expectations as to what we could or should expect. The place is under new ownership so we could see changes that were evident throughout the property. The small bar/lounge/tavern was not quite ready for guests but we found it cozy and comfortable and we were treated to a very nice bruschetta with our wine,

Unfortunately the restaurant did not measure up to what we had thought would be a wonderful dining experience. The table linens were wrinkled and not in keeping with the caliber of restaurant that the prices of the entrees reflected. We ordered wine before dinner and shortly thereafter we were besieged with an army of fruit flies that insisted on sharing our California chard with us! I managed to trap on of the buggers while he was sipping in my glass. I showed my waitress who appeared surprised but not overly dismayed. She gracefully replaced my drink with another. However that did not stop the hordes of his friends and relatives from redoubling their efforts to destroy the dining experience here. We both ordered the Chicken Picatta for our entree and it was the most tastless dish I've had in a very long time certainally not reflective of the quality one would expect from a $20 entree. The chicken had little flavor and the sauce was bland and lifeless, needless to say neither of us finished our entrees. By the tine dinner was over there were no fewer than seven more fruit flies reposing in my wine glass. Service was slow and our 15% tip reflected our dismay with the whole affair. Upon checking out we advised the front desk of our dismay with dinner the evening before but it appeared that our concerns were falling on ears that had had just about enough complaints for one weekend and we were apologized to for the horrible dinner and that "the chef would be alerted" as tp the fruit fly problem in the dining room.

• Stayed October 2009
Mass
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I can’t add much to the other bad reviews because we never made it past the idiot working the front desk to check in. We tried to book our spa appointments several times in the week before our stay but were told each time that the staff was too busy to help and would call back. Of course they never did. When we tried to check on the status when we checked in the desk attendant became discourteous and hostile towards us. I have stayed in many inn’s and hotels around the world but I have never been treated as poorly as I was here. Even at the risk of losing our deposit we decided not to stay here. When I talked to Dennis the owner several days latter it became apparent that he had trained this guy in customer relations because he was just as condescending and rude. If this place is not on its way to going out of business then it should be. DO NOT STAY AT THE XMAS FARM INN!! There are many other alternatives in Jackson where you will be treated like they want your business

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
northpoleelves, Manager at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 11, 2009
I am deeply sorry your experience was so negative. The spa and the front desk attempted to contact you multiple times prior to your arrival. The phone number that we were given as your preferred form of contact was out of service. The spa and the front desk both tried to contact you multiple times.
When you arrived I had the luck of getting to witness the exchange between you and the front desk manager. The front desk manager tried to explain and was not given a chance to respond.
RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Well, where do I begin? My wife and I stayed in the Salt Box for the 3 day weekend of Columbus Day. It was our seventh stay at this inn. Upon arrival, for those previous guests, the beautiful Christmas lights and decorations that once adorned the front of the main bldg.(as seen on the web site) and represented its namesake are gone and replaced with a yellow banner stating new ownership. The decorations that once were scattered about the lobby, den and dining room are also gone. The lady who handed cookies to your children at arrival is gone along with the cookies and smiles.
When we booked the reservation, the operator bragged that the price included a full menu breakfast unlike the buffet offered by the old owners. Quess what, breakfast was a buffet and not as nice as it used to be. The delicious on premises baked scones and muffins were replaced with obviously store bought. Oh yes, the baker is also gone. Even toast was nowhere to be seen nor was it offered by any of the wait staff.
When we entered our room at about 4PM, the heat was not working. We notified the front desk. After returning from dinner, the heat was still not working. We notified (another person) the front desk. At about 8PM some employee turned on the AC. So not only were we without heat, we now had frigid air blowing through the ceiling vents. By morning we informed the maids and the front desk again.(different person) I asked him to keep me in the loop as to providing our room with heat.(never done) By late afternoon on the second day still without heat, I became frustrated and spoke with the desk and a man who Identified himself as Dennis the general manager. He said he tried to fix the problem, but did not know how and could not. He said he was from Miami, and that is generally not a problem there.. He did, however, deliver a portable quartz heater that provided some heat but not enough to make the room comfortable. He joked that if I drank a couple of brandys, I would sleep nicely.
Our three night stay was without heat and when I checked out, not a word was said by the clerk who was aware of the whole situation. We were not even offered an apology. We recieved no adjustment on our bill nor were we comped anything, not even a CFI coffee mug.
For those who have stayed there before and are thinking about returning, you will be disappointed. For those looking for a place to stay in Jackson for the first time, there are other very nice Inns in the area that are more accomodating and charming. If warmth is what you're looking for,( both in temperture and appeal) stay elsewhere!

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

First the staff was all very pleasant and our room and the inn were very clean. That is all the good. Our room #4 had huge water stains over the bed. The TV is so small it was useless to have it on except for the voice - not that we stayed in the room much but if we were inclined to stay in and just relax a book would be better. The jacuzzi was nice. but it is not set up for 2 to sit incomfortably because of where the faucet is located. Yes, you could sit at the other end ifyou wanted your feet to receive the massage instead of your back and shoulders. The chairs in the room are not the comfy type and there is no ottoman for your feet so lying in bed is better. The food was awful. We were here 4 nights. After our first dinner we never ate there again. The dinner rolls were tasteless and the butter tasted like the freezer. The ceasers salad and onion soup were okay (but not the bread in the soup) but the main meal a seafood medly over linguine dish (we shared) was huge with plenty of mussels and clams but it was bland and the shrimp and scallops were overcooked. In addition they wanted to charge a "plate charge" of $5.00 and we were guests. We made a comment and the server quickly responded that there would not be an extra charge. They don't make their desserts on the premises except for the apple crisp with ice cream. Eat the ice cream which was excellent and pass on the calories from the crisp - the apples were dry and almost dehydrated and the crisp was not tasty. The morning breakfast buffet was awful. The french toast to me was mushy thin store bought white bread without flavor, the eggs were clearly our of a box as we went down as soon as they opened and they were dense greyish and sitting in liquid. The fried potatoes where just chunks of fried potato without onions or anything else, the bacon was good, I didn't have the sausage nor the oatmeal. they did have some dry cereal. The pastries were also clearly not homemade. The chocolate chip scones were like a hockey puck. We thought Sunday buffet would be better but the only addition was the above scones. The wait staff pleasant and solicitous. Even though breakfast was included with the room we opted to go elsewhere for breakfast the nextg day. In reading another review from June they talked about eggs benedict and wonderful omeletes. Was this really the same place, because this stay absolutely didn't reflect an Inn dining experience. The other thing is that unless you sit way on the other side of the room there is music blaring out of the speaker that is not to everyone's liking. The furniture is tired. The sitting room with the fireplace is sparse and uncomfortable as well as uninviitng. The only thing going for it is the fireplace so we didn't use it. A part of the inn experience is to enjoy tea/hot chocolate or coffee with some cookies or snacks in the afternoon. Not here, they don't offer it. They just put out a thermous for coffee or tea during the time the front desk is open. The inn expereince of sharing with others, comfy common sitting area to sit in and read, talk with other guests or watch a fire and "family" centered hospitality with great home cooked food is completely unavailable here, so if that is your expectation this is not the place to go. While I think this inn is less than average it is not terrible, but I surely will not return nor can I recommend it to others.

Maine USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Definitely not for the "standard issue" types. Every room and building is different, the Main Inn is everything a great New England hospitality place has to offer. I was there when Congressman Zeliff owned it, and heard it has been undermaintained since then. New owners are obviously putting a ton of money into upgrades - a once great venue returns!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!