“We enjoyed it” 4 of 5 stars

Virginia
22 attraction reviews
“We enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

There are reviews for this in 2 different places on Trip Advisor, so I will post this in both places. We were happy with our visit to the Hartmann Model Railroad, so I was surprised to see some negative reviews.

My husband is into model railroading and is constructing his own display in our basement. He likes to look at displays to get "ideas". The admission was $5 senior rate for each of us, and we thought it was worth it to spend an hour looking at all the layouts and the displays of old toys and models.

We spent some time talking to the owner, who is from Switzerland, and found him to be friendly and helpful. The displays were interesting and my husband got some ideas for his display.

I agree with other reviewers that the "running" trains were a little disappointing since the only thing running was the engine without a train in back of it, and not all levels of multi track displays were used. However, we thought the displays were interesting and worth a close look to see all the details and work that went into it. There was a lot of variety. Also there were shelves upon shelves of old rail road cars and other toys on display.

In reading some negative reviews, they are mostly from people who brought children. We are retired seniors so didn't experience any of the issues stated. However, I can see how parents may not want to visit a place where they were stressed out about the kids touching things. Also, we didn't notice the rules about riding the train; i.e. having to purchase something. If that were simplified and featured, perhaps more people with kids would feel welcome.

I would recommend the model railroad museum mostly for adults who were into model railroading or for those who had older children that would be interested in the details of the layouts.

Visited October 2013

Virginia
22 attraction reviews
“We enjoyed our visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Visited October 2013
East Hartford, CT
“Quiet place but great for the little ones.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

They had a TON of model train exhibits. Perfect for your 2-6 year-old or if you REALLY love model trains. Only $6 to get in and lots to see. It was quiet with only a few families there but it is a nice place to visit if you have little ones.

Visited August 2013
Florida
66 attraction reviews
“A Really Weird Experience that Could Use a Little Marketing Help”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

A lot of the reviews below are spot on. Here are my impressions:

We were the ONLY family at this gigantic property. There are two large buildings that look like they were built specifically for this hobby/business. The fact that they were open shocked me, especially just coming from a jam-packed Story Land.

The gentleman attending the layout museum was very nice and explained the museum prices, however we wanted to ride the train that was outside. This is when it got, well, weird. He directed us over to the shop, run by the lady (I think his wife).

The local town will not allow them to sell tickets to ride the cool looking train out front, some government politics or whatnot. OK. So to get around this rule, they want you to buy a souvenir at $8 (or higher) to ride the train. What? Huh? too weird, complicated. I was just about to say, "How about I just give you a $20 donation to let us ride?" (there were 4 of us, the ride is about a mile long...) But she said to me first, "If you don't see anything you like, you could also donate $8 per person to ride."

Whoa, $32 to ride ONE ride for my family? That's too much. The couple seemed nice enough, they are retired from Switzerland we found out, but there were NO OTHER GUESTS VISITING THE PLACE. I said to my wife... They must have retired rich. I can't imagine they even make $50 dollars in one day, it is worth it to turn the electricity on? It must be one big hobby to give them something to do.

OK, so the local town doesn't like them for whatever reason, and imposed a restrictive ordinance against them. Why not erect a GIANT sign out front: "FREE TRAIN RIDES!" and give each person a free ride when they pay admission to visit the layout museum? Why launch into a whole speech about the local government... It came across as bitter before we even got into the front door.

I just don't understand their business model or their marketing strategy... literally mind boggling. The actual shop is GIANT. A model railroader's dream, for sure. They must have inventory to last them for years- I couldn't believe the AMOUNT of product they had. But again, the prices are astronomical. I realize these are premium products, but anyone who is really into model railroading would know where to find these products cheaper online.

We left without riding or buying anything, and I am still trying to make sense of the whole thing.

Visited July 2013
Shoreham, New York
18 attraction reviews
“Be a KID again ! All Aboard !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

If you LOVE trains,toys, nostalgia and have kids I think you'll LOVE Hartman's. The many layouts of different gauges which are basic, which could have actual trains running rather then just engines.However there is a lot more then trains such as examples of,slot cars,Matchbox,Dinky, Gorki, various detailed models, die cast of every car and truck you could think of. One can say it's a "Boy Thing" and they'd probably be right (and possibly politically incorrect for the day) but that's what it is. As a "TOY" person I just really found that seeing toys from the past that I either played with or still own today exciting and enjoyable. I especially enjoyed seeing the military terminal and yard. In good weather there is an outdoor railroad that runs around the property and the kids will enjoy the experience. All and all it was a nice fun place to visit that has taken care of their collections and enjoy sharing them with the public. I've seen much more impressive modern toy museum but for a "Mom & Pop" operation I was glad I stopped in for a visit.

Visited June 2013