“Very Dirty Unit - Please Read Before Visiting” 1 of 5 stars

You added Cathedral Ledge Condominium Resort to your Saves list
Cathedral Ledge Condominium Resort
Junction Route 16/302 And 16a, Intervale, Bartlett, NH 03845   |
Massachusetts
“Very Dirty Unit - Please Read Before Visiting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I never usually write on these blog posts but I was so disappointed with my visit to this resort, that I hope my review will help those out there to make a better decision than I did.

I exchanged my timeshare week for this resort since it was closest to Santa's Village and North Conway. I was traveling with my husband and two young girls (3 & 1). We didn't arrive until late Wednesday night, 1/2 way through our week. The ride for us is over 4 hours long so needless to say, we were exhausted when we got there (around 10pm).

When entering the unit, the smell was not all the pleasant but I took it with a grain of salt since the unit appeared to be very old and out dated. The first location was the kitchen and when I say "outdated", I truly mean that. The wallpaper, counter tops, vinyl flooring...everything was from 1980's, if not earlier. The counters were covered in bread crumbs and when I went to get a glass for water, the dishes stunk badly. I can't even describe the smell. Thank goodness I brought my own dishwasher detergent because I ran all of the dishes through the dishwasher before I let anyone eat off of them.

Also, please note that I am not a "clean freak". I am an average mom that likes things tidy but am not super anal about things. However, as you read on, you will understand why I am writing this for warning for all future "stayers".

After the kitchen we went into the living room/dining room and that was ok. No complaints besides being outdated.

We went upstairs to the two bedrooms and bathrooms...
1) Master bedroom was also outdated but had this stench to it. Then, I went into the Master Bathroom. I looked at the Jacuzzi tub and there were over 50 dead bugs all over the tub and side walls...it was absolutely disgusting. I continued to look around because now I'm starting to get grossed out and the tub had mildew all around the edges. You could obviously tell that this unit was not stayed in recently and not cleaned either.

2) The second bedroom was ok, just out dated.

This unit also had a third floor loft with a futon up there. It was very spacious but I will take cleanliness over spacious any day. The loft's carpet was so badly stained that when I took a step on one of the "spots", the carpet crunched under my foot. I then took one quick look around and noticed candies around the edge of the carpet. It was clean that this room was not cleaned after the last visitors. I then forbid my girls to go up to the third floor for the entire stay.

That night, it was so late, that I just put the girls to bed and my husband and I were getting ready for bed when we heard this rattling outside of our room. Granted, it was windy that night but the rattling was loud and it was happen for a few seconds, then stop, then happen again. This went on for over 2 hours until I must have finally fell asleep. So now, am I not only exhausted from driving so long, now I can't sleep because of this very loud rattle. My husband went outside at one point to see what the potential problem was and she said that the rattling was even louder outside and it looks like it could have been some lose roof shingles. Now, I'm sorry, but if it is that loud, don't you think maintenance should be fixing a problem like that?

The next morning, I went over to the main office and told them about the rattle and bugs. They said that they would send over someone to clean the tub. After an hour, a man showed up (empty handed) and asked to see the bathroom. He went upstairs and back down and jokingly said "looks like no one has stayed in this unit for a while". I was furious! He took the vacuum that was in the hallway and vacuumed the bugs out and was going to just leave. I asked him if he was going to wipe the tub down (with a cleaner). He said that he could if we wanted me too. He went (somewhere) and came back with a spray and a towel and cleaned the tub. I was so grossed out at this point in time that I stripped all of the beds and washed every sheet and blanket that we were going to use. I went down to the local grocery store and bought bathroom cleaner and washed the Jacuzzi tub (and only the Jacuzzi tub) and just allowed my children to bathe in there.

The point of a vacation is that it's a VACATION. I shouldn't have to cleaning a thing...especially pre-cleaning to make sure my kids don't get sick.

With that being said, that unit was left cleaner than when we arrived.

I am very unhappy with my stay at this resort and even though the space was very good...I would never visit this location again and would not recommend it either. The units need major updating, the upstairs rooms were constantly cold, even with the heat turned on high, and the cleaning was extremely poor.

From one mom to another...please look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Salem, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just got back from a weekend vacation with my family, husband, daughter sister and friend...unit was dated but clean....price was reasonable...pool was great....perfect location....close to cranmore, wildcat and attitash

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Black Point, NS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My parents have owned two units here for 25 years. I have had great memories of coming here. I've read through all the comments and what has been said here is pretty accurate. While the units are pretty dated, they are for the most part clean. I have noticed signs of water damage in some corners of the ceilings and moss along the outside of the units but I believe a lot of the structural reasons for this have been or are in the process of being addressed. One of the reason is the very 80ish decks above, the top one now having been removed from the units, hence the "Danger, Do Not Open" signs referred to in other reviews.

I am encouraged by the efforts by the new management. The pool area has always been lots of fun. I understand a leak has been fixed recently as well as many broken patio doors. A new working door has been installed and the other ones have been replaced by windows. This year we interrupted a pool cleaning.

I noticed a lot of activity by maintenance staff during this visit. There was lots of yard work going on and even someone working on the aforementioned moss.

Also regarding the pool, we have spent hours at the pool during each visit. We have it to ourselves most of the time. On only a few occasions have we ever had to share it wih three families in the last 25 years.

I can't say enough about what a great place this is (the resort and area) for families. We shop for clothes for the kids for school (and no sales tax!). We enjoy driving or hiking up Mt Washington, have explored the outdoors by hikes to waterfalls, take trips on the trains, enjoy the downtown North Coway shops and playground, and enjoy visiting the many junior theme parks and acitivities in the area. We come back for a BBQed dinner, an evening swim, and a family movie. Twenty-five years and we have yet to do all that is offered in the area. And the location is fantastic.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Millis, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

On our way home from another great vacatIon at Cathedral Ledge Resort. It was so nice to see the improvements that the new management has implemented. The units are a bit dated - management is working on updating all the units. More importantly everything was very clean. The unit itself has ample room - 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, kitchen, dining area, living room and loft - sleeps 8. Laundry in each unit is a plus for families. There were some minor issues with our unit but they were quickly resolved. The pool area was clean and the ladies bathroom in the clubhouse has been redone. The common area had a net for volleyball or badminton. The basketball court was great. Rackets and balls are supplied at the club house. You can't beat the location - close to everything!! We are looking forward to next summer at the Ledge!

• Stayed July 2012
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was my first time coming to this resort. I'm typically much more of a big city person when it comes to vacations, but I had a great time here. It's a very quiet and relaxing place to be in the summer. I enjoyed sitting outside in the shade of the pine trees and I also had a wonderful time exploring the nearby towns. Whether you like shopping, boating, swimming, fine dining, hiking, miniature golf, or many other activities...this is a great place for a relaxing vacation away from it all.

As many other reviewers have indicated, the property is in need of improvements and repairs. But from what I understand talking to others who have owned units here for years, the current management has been doing a great job of getting the resort up to par. I would absolutely love to go back and probably will next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Watertown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was asked to join a friend of mine on vacation for July 4 th weekend, and was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations offered at this resort. Having 3 small girls, ages 4, 3, and 2. I was so happy with the size of the units. There was more than enough space for my friend and her husband, plus me and my 3 children. The playground was not at all outdated as another reviewer had stated. It had a fantastic tire swing, that my girls refused to get off. The pool which is half indoors and half outdoors was wonderful. The maintenance was extremely helpful and even had to give me a jump, when I forgot to turn off my lights returning home from the fireworks, oops. It is the white mountains and I think those that gave poor reviews should have sprung for a 5 star resort in some ritzy hotel. There were many other families here with small children and my girls ran outside with them all until too tired to continue, they came inside and crashed for the night. It was a wonderful vacation and I am looking into renting a unit for next year so that my husband, myself and the girls can come back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wareham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

we have been coming here for 4 years now, have seen many changes. the new management is working very hard to get the place back up to par and it's working. we love it here. we shop, we rest, we always take a run up to Mt Washington Hotel and have lunch or late afternoon appetizers, great way to relax and spend a vacation.

Room Tip: most spacious, with three floors, 2 1/2 baths, sleeps 8