“Lovely, friendly, personalized experience” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Rte 3, Holderness, NH 03245   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 3 Holderness B&B and Inns
boston
“Lovely, friendly, personalized experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The owners and staff of the Manor make this already wonderful place even more amazing. They were helpful, friendly, caring (when our car broke down), and accommodating (vegan tasting menu in the dining room, special dessert for my husband's birthday, help in planning nearby activities).

If you want a cozy, charming place with great food and a terrific staff (just the right amount of care - not overbearing in any way), stay here. We had a great time.

Room Tip: we had a luxury suite, pricey but nicey (fireplace, jacuzzi tub, steam shower, etc.)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed in the Avon room. We had really been looking forward to our stay. We were really disappointed! The room looked great in pictures but not as nice in reality. Looks a bit tired and grubby. It was raining very heavily and as Avon is a the top of the house it was very noisey. The fireplace was leaking rain.
Dinner was really expensive. The dining room really needs a refurb. The ceiling had rain water pouring through it. All the waitress did was put containers under it. We were right next to the leak and there were loads of empty tables but no offer to move us. The chef ruined the lobster dish, it was completely dried out and rubbery.
Breakfast was a joke, I asked the waitress for maple syrup with my pancakes when I placed my order. When they arrived no syrup. I asked again. 5 mins later still no syrup. Despite the fact I looked really cross and wasn't eating my breakfast all 3 members of staff including a manager continued serving everyone else but our table. In the end I got up and stood in the kitchen entrance until someone paid attention to me. By this point I had stone cold pancakes and no one offered to heat them. Both meals had poor service and poor food.
We won't be returning or recommending!!!

SANTA ROSA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

For the expense of this manor we expected more. We had a very nice and comfortable room with a wonderful fireplace. Tea time was very nice with little finger sandwiches and lemon bars. Breakfast was fine. We especially liked the idea of being able to order off a menu. Now, what we didn't like was being greeted (evening & morning) by the personel in shorts and running shoes. In a place such as this, dress should be smart. The exterior of the building seemed to need some serious maintenance. Would we go back again? Probably not.

L & D
California

Wokingham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

A lovely, lovely spot in a beautiful part of the world. We visited as part of a two week tour of New England, a special holiday for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We were given a fine welcome from Brian, the owner who immediately recommended a boat tour on Squam Lake from the village. Thank you, it was a wonderful suggestion. We had a comfortable cottage room (Ascot) with a log fire, peace perfect peace. The second day was cold and misty and we were feeling tired and in need of a "duvet day". The cottage was perfect, we stoked up the fire and settled downwitn good books wonderful battery re-charging. This was topped off with a lovely dinner where the chef tailored the whole menu to suit my husband's onion allergy, that's what I call service! Thank you to Brian and Mary Ann, you are running a lovely Inn there and we would love to return one day.

Room Tip: The cottages are lovely andcosy
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I wanted to have an intimate and romantic autumn destination wedding. After searching the internet for locations in New England, and reading about what various locations had to offer, The Manor on Golden Pond in Holderness, NH, piqued our interest. From the very beginning, when the innkeepers responded promptly and helpfully to all of our inquiries, we felt comfortable in our choice and decided on one of The Manor's three packages which included up to 17 people, including the bride and groom. The Manor provided 2 nights' lodging in a beautiful suite, bridal bouquet and boutonniere, champagne and hors d'oeuvres, custom wedding cake, and a delicious gourmet dinner with 3 choices of entrees. We had a couple of guests who had very specific dietary restrictions, and the chef met their needs while still serving them an excellent meal. In addition, the Manor coordinated a boat tour (not included in the package price) of Squam Lake between the ceremony and the dinner reception. The innkeepers, due to their exceptional organizational skills, kept us on-task making decisions prior to the wedding. We liked that they went out of their way to dissipate the stress that naturally goes with a wedding. They did this by keeping things calm, rather than creating any stress, which kept our stress level to a minimum. Plus, the staff were all unfailingly kind, attentive, and helpful. We were married outside under two huge and beautiful cypress trees in what felt to us like a sacred space. We (and our guests) were treated royally! It was a beautiful day that we'll remember always.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake were nice, and even though there's a main road between The Manor and the l...
Hugo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The place was nice, but plenty to keep up. I thought the service was wonderful and I loved the young people who worked there. It was fun to see youthful people serving and interacting with the guests. The afternoon tea and the breakfast were very nice. The room was comfortable and we watched "On Golden Pond" before we went to bed. My biggest disappointment was the fact that there was a road in between the lake and the property. I really would have loved to have lake access. I saw this place in "1000 places to see before you die" and immediately booked it without seeing any reviews. I looked at reviews when I got home and I could have stayed on the waterfront for 1/3 of the price. I would not have received the afternoon tea or the lovely breakfast, however, it is what is most important to a person- location or food?

Room Tip: Chose the Victoria room which had a queen bed and a bit of a view of Squam Lake.
Quincy, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here September 21-23, and had a great time. Our room was lovely, the bed was very comfortable and the fireplace and large jacuzzi were just what we needed for our "de-stressing" weekend. The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful and attentive. Great breakfast is included in the price (which is, a bit expensive). They also have a basket providing things that you may have forgotten - in our case it was toothpaste! A nice touch. Afternoon tea is offered everyday. Dinner was excellent. All in all a great place to stay - the surrounding area is very beautiful. We will most definitely return - customer service is key and they have nailed it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Manor on Golden Pond? Share your experiences!