“Excellent in All Regards” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brattleboro, Vermont
“Excellent in All Regards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stopped by for a mid-afternoon Sunday lunch, and were told they were also still serving brunch. I had an omelette, large, nicely filled, and well prepared, with excellent home fries. Gail had a burger, prepared to perfection despite her somewhat distinctive instructions. Service was excellent, and the space is cozy with a pleasant view over the river. Nice looking bar area, too, though a bit small. Server Olivia was personable, attentive, and knowledgeable and offered several suggestions. Pricing was moderate -- the brunch perhaps a dollar or two high for an omelette without toast or coffee. Would definitely stop in again. When in Henniker be sure to visit Depot Number Six, one of our favorite used book stores in New England.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bradford, New Hampshire
“On The River”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Nice Atmosphere with water views. Menu offers some creative dishes, mostly very good. I had lunch there recently, Waldorf Salad with crab cake topping was excellent.

Visited February 2013
“What a Dissapointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have visited this restaurant many times over the past 10 years and have never been so disappointed. I ordered a baked crab cake dish and garlic potatoes with a salad. The salad came stuffed on a plate with a plastic tub of dressing- all you could do was just throw the dressing on top. You could not mix it around because it fell off the plate. The greens were buried at the bottom and were wilted. My main dish came and the plate was cold. the garlic mashed potatoes were slimy looking and cold as well as the crab cakes ( the restaurant was not busy). I asked to have the potatoes warmed up. they took the plate away and they came back and they were stone cold. The waitress never asked how anything was. We ordered dessert I had creme brule and the top had been browned but hours ago. We did not have alcohol with our meal and our bill came to over $60. I would not mind paying that if the meal was good it was horrible! My husband had a scallop pasta dish and his was swimming in a watery a sauce. The need a new chef. this is such a disappointment because the location is so beautiful and inviting on a colds winters night. PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
VA
“Great little Bistro with View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

While nothing is gourmet, they do a nice job of presentation and give lots of options which include vegetarian. The portions are large. The quality is fine, no complaints. The service was good and friendly. It has a view of the river. The place is very clean. I would not go out of my way to get there but if you are in Henniker it is a good choice.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NEWBURY, NH
“Extermely poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have enjoyed this restaurant many times in the past and have been very satisfied, however the last two times have not been up to the standards expected. On august 29, 2012 our visit for both my wife and I was terrible. I had what was supposed to be pulled pork. What was served was chunks of tough fatty pork. When we brought it to the attention of the waitress she informed us the pork was to hot for the chef to pull so he pulled it apart by hand, does not explain the poor quality of the pork. My wife suggested we bring them in some pulled pork so they could see what is supposed to be. Obviously should not be on the menu if they do not know how to cook it. The main resin we went there was my wife liked the crab cakes in the past which she said was the best in the area, no longer. They had changed the recipe and loaded it with what appeared to be Old Bay seasoning to the point she could not taste the crab. The mashed potatoes were also load with garlic and old bay, they were red.
The previous visit I ordered a file steak medium well. When it came out the steak was rare. Sent it back twice and it was still rare. Finally suffered through it since my wife was just about done with her meal. Needless to say I did not order steak this time since it would probably be rare.
This is the last time we will dine at this restaurant since they now seem to have reduced the quality of the food and preparation. It is to expensive to waste money on poor quality where the best part of the meal was the wine.

• Visited August 2012