“How much for a side of veggie hash...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American, Bakery, Coffee Shop, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Dessert
“How much for a side of veggie hash...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Went to Lou's on Thursday 2/27 while visiting some friends. Ordered lunch then added a side of veggie beet hash...I was shocked when the bill came and they charged me $7.95 for it. I questioned it only to hear that it was because if all the fresh veggies in it...I think it was more than the meal that would have included it. Chose not to complain because they were busy and I was in a rush, but I feel that it was way overpriced for the quality.

Thetford, Vermont
“The ONLY place for breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Lou's Restaurant is a long-standing institution in the lovely town of Hanover, NH. It's a good idea to go early if you can as the lines can get pretty long, but it is well worth the wait. The food is consistently great and the chef comes up with delicious and unusual specials each week, often seasonally related. This morning I had a Mardi Gras themed breakfast of Poached Eggs Over Grits and Avocado with Creole Sauce - yummy! The regular menu is very diverse, the portions are more than generous, the bakery items are irresistible and many ingredients are locally sourced. In addition to the great food, Lou's has a wonderful staff who are unfailingly friendly while working super fast in a very compact space. They know the regulars by name and greet kids with genuine delight. Many of them have worked there for years and there are three sets of two generation Lou's staff currently, two mother/daughter and one mother/son. That alone says volumes to me about what a special place this is! Breakfast, lunch or bakery goodie - you can't go wrong with Lou's!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wethers
“Kicked my 7 month old baby out in the cold.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

It's funny when I told them I was going to write a review about how mean and nasty a waitress named Becky was there is a nice review about how nice she was! Interesting.......we heard great reviews about the restaurant so we decided to go for breakfast this past Saturday morning. When arriving there was a long line of people waiting for a table. As we started walking to the end of the line Becky "the waitress" started yelling from behind the counter that there can only be one person in line and that everyone else has to go outside. I of course wasn't going to sit outside in 15 degree temp with my 7 month old daughter while my wife waited in line. As we were walking out she looked away and didn't enforce it to anyone else. Which lead me to believe she was telling us to leave because we took up too much space. Becky was by far the rudest person we have ever met and I would never recommend this restaurant. It's funny looks like Becky had the best/worst day yesterday with personality! I can't comment on the food because we didn't have it but if you are looking for a family friendly breakfast this sure is not the one for you. Good luck.

Visited February 2014
LousHanover, Owner at Lou's Restaurant and Bakery, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
We feel terribly about your family's first Lou's experience. Please know, it was never our intention to send a family with a small child into the cold.

Many wonderful reviews warn potential guests about the line. When it begins to flow into service areas it becomes a safety issue. Lou's is a small, 64 year old restaurant in a building that is over 200 years old. During Dartmouth special events and holiday weekends, Valentine's Day included the line can be longer than usual.

We can't change the fact that guests will have to wait outside. What we can change is the way we ask guests . Shouting out to hordes of college students takes confidence and a loud voice. Becky assumed the role putting herself in the direct line of fire. It has been unfair of management (me) to take her away from what she does best. The many reviews speak for themselves. She is an outstanding waitress and a highly valued employee.

Effective this weekend, once the line reaches a certain point, guests will be given a pager. This pager will hold their place in line while they wait, together, outside. This system will allow us to manage the crowd while being mindful of families with small children and the elderly during winter months or inclement weather.

The offer still stands for breakfast or lunch on the house. We hope you will give us another try. Negative reviews hurt, but they provide an opportunity to re-think systems. For that we are grateful.

Most sincerely,
Pattie Fried
Co-Owner
Smithtown, New York
“Great Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I recently tried Lou's for the first time. The food is excellent and definitely worth the wait. My waitress, Becky, was extremely friendly and nice. I travel through the area frequently and will definitely be going back for breakfast or lunch.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
perry ga
“A REAL diner from the 50's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Sat at the lunch counter and watched as they prepared my lunch. Food was EXCELLENT and service too. Will definitely make this a regular lunch stop when in the area.

Visited February 2014