“Kicked my 7 month old baby out in the cold.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bakery, Coffee Shop, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Dessert
Wethers
“Kicked my 7 month old baby out in the cold.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

It's funny when I told them I was going to write a review about how mean and nasty a waitress named Becky was there is a nice review about how nice she was! Interesting.......we heard great reviews about the restaurant so we decided to go for breakfast this past Saturday morning. When arriving there was a long line of people waiting for a table. As we started walking to the end of the line Becky "the waitress" started yelling from behind the counter that there can only be one person in line and that everyone else has to go outside. I of course wasn't going to sit outside in 15 degree temp with my 7 month old daughter while my wife waited in line. As we were walking out she looked away and didn't enforce it to anyone else. Which lead me to believe she was telling us to leave because we took up too much space. Becky was by far the rudest person we have ever met and I would never recommend this restaurant. It's funny looks like Becky had the best/worst day yesterday with personality! I can't comment on the food because we didn't have it but if you are looking for a family friendly breakfast this sure is not the one for you. Good luck.

Visited February 2014
LousHanover, Owner at Lou's Restaurant and Bakery, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
We feel terribly about your family's first Lou's experience. Please know, it was never our intention to send a family with a small child into the cold.

Many wonderful reviews warn potential guests about the line. When it begins to flow into service areas it becomes a safety issue. Lou's is a small, 64 year old restaurant in a building that is over 200 years old. During Dartmouth special events and holiday weekends, Valentine's Day included the line can be longer than usual.

We can't change the fact that guests will have to wait outside. What we can change is the way we ask guests . Shouting out to hordes of college students takes confidence and a loud voice. Becky assumed the role putting herself in the direct line of fire. It has been unfair of management (me) to take her away from what she does best. The many reviews speak for themselves. She is an outstanding waitress and a highly valued employee.

Effective this weekend, once the line reaches a certain point, guests will be given a pager. This pager will hold their place in line while they wait, together, outside. This system will allow us to manage the crowd while being mindful of families with small children and the elderly during winter months or inclement weather.

The offer still stands for breakfast or lunch on the house. We hope you will give us another try. Negative reviews hurt, but they provide an opportunity to re-think systems. For that we are grateful.

Most sincerely,
Pattie Fried
Co-Owner

Smithtown, New York
“Great Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I recently tried Lou's for the first time. The food is excellent and definitely worth the wait. My waitress, Becky, was extremely friendly and nice. I travel through the area frequently and will definitely be going back for breakfast or lunch.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
perry ga
“A REAL diner from the 50's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Sat at the lunch counter and watched as they prepared my lunch. Food was EXCELLENT and service too. Will definitely make this a regular lunch stop when in the area.

Visited February 2014
New Canaan, Connecticut, United States
“Outstanding breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Just arrived in Hanover and stopped into Lou's for breakfast. Quick service, excellent food - fresh local ingredients. Overall great value.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
USA
“High expectations, ehhhh experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Read many of the reviews. Had high expectations. Perhaps my experience was an anomaly. This is your middle of the line diner by my experience, perhaps even lower because of the prices.

Ordered Mile High Apple Pie. Crust very flaky. Apples give to the touch. But a little bland. 3.5.

Ordered the Reuben. Decent sandwich. Should have been more toasted for crunch. Corn beef was tender. 4.0.

Ordered some taco with chorizo. I can't remember the name. Egg was overcooked. Chorizo didn't have any taste. Home fires were mushy. I could make the same thing on a Saturday morning in 5 minutes with a severe hangover, and eat it without tasting it. Having arrived a little late, perhaps we were served remnants of what had been batch made? Don't want to bash the guys there, but it was underwhelming. 2.0.

Though slow to start because of the volume of diners, service was good and friendly. 4.0.

Apple pie, a taco, and a sandwich (one tea) = $34 including tips. Really? 2.0.

• Visited January 2014