“Vulgar and Pretentious” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pine

Pine
2 E. Wheelock St., Hanover, NH 03755 (Formerly Pines)
603/646-8000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 36 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Etna. NH
“Vulgar and Pretentious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

In "renovating" the Hanover Inn to the tune of $43 million (a mere $30 million overrun), Dartmouth College and its advisors have managed to leach out any hint of New England. Not only did they manage to do it, they sought to do it. Now more a conference center than a hotel, it gives corporate types more of the same they love -- a sleek, expensive bubble, furnished and decorated by someone with the unerring touch of a bad dentist. It's nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

As for Pine, the restaurant which bills its menu as "celebrity chef inspired," the choices are pedestrian and the preparation bland. Better go to Lou's for breakfast, the Canoe Club for lunch, Market Table for dinner, Murphy's for a nightcap -- all within a two-minute walk.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Nancy J, General Manager at Pine, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Rovingtheworld,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate your honest candor in how you personally feel about the renovation of the Hanover Inn. I understand that everyone’s tastes differs in what appeals to them for both design and cuisine and it appears that we have fallen short in your experience. We have received many positive comments about the new design of the Hanover Inn and rave reviews of our new restaurant PINE. While the building is an integral part of guest experience what truly makes a property special is the Service. Our employees are the heart and soul; of the Hanover Inn and strives to provide a warm, attentive and gracious level of service to each and every guest.

I would be delighted to meet with you personally and address any concerns that you may have.

Thank you for your consideration.

Joe Mellia
Hanover Inn Dartmouth

New London, Connecticut, United States
“Good Food, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I ate lunch and breakfast at the Pine this past weekend (May 18/19, 2013). In each case, I was very satisfied with my meals. My food was good tasting and cooked to my satisfaction. The portions were not too big and not too small. The service was good, and the prices were average.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Asti Spumanti”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

OMG -- I ordered a glass of Muscato with my desert on Mother's Day and I got a glass of sickly sweet Asti Spumanti -- and the waiter had the "finesse" to come to our table to offer me an other glass "on the house" with the label in full display. Funny. Even funnier was that they charged us $12 a glass.... I informed the bar tender on our way out and he was even embarassed....

Visited May 2013
Cornish, New Hampshire
“fun, friendly, fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've been for drinks once, dinner twice: the atmosphere is great, the food even better- best value anywhere around.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Enfield, New Hampshire
“The PINE---Hip and Unpretentious Fine Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Pine is a great find! I love it. The food was outstanding---if you like duck, go for the fettuccine w/duck confit! Delicious. And the tuna and steak tartare...fabulous! When I go back I'm going to have to force myself to try something different.

The atmosphere is laid back chic, an understated elegance that gives you that fine dining experience without feeling stuffy and pretentious. The antique pine boards adorning the walls of The Pine are reclaimed from an old barn on the Dartmouth campus. They pay hommage to days gone by while providing a trendy comtempory vibe. The restuarant is laid out in a spacious room that despite it's large size maintains a level of intimacy. The subtle lighting and background music add to the overall experience.

The waitstaff did a great job. They know the menu and made supurb suggestions. Unlike a lot of local restaurants, they don't rush you. It's refreshing to be able to enjoy a meal without feeling like you need to hurry up so that your table can be turned over to someone else. At the same time, the staff at the Pine was very attentive. Every time a member of our party left the table, our waiter was right there folding the napkin and placing it next to the person's plate. When one the food arrived and one of our party was away, the staff at The Pine asked if they should keep the food warm until the person returned. At The Pine you get attentive service that is "just right"---there when you need it and not there when you don't need it. Perfect.

Pricing for the menu was surprisingly affordable given the quality and portion size of the food. It is definitely a nice place to eat that is affordable. It's a price point that allows you to go out for a special evening without feeling like you got robbed if you are on a budget while at the same time, if you aren't on a tight budget it lets you enjoy a nice meal and atmosphere on a regular basis without putting you on a budget.

All in all The Pine is a great addition to the area and I'm glad I went. I will definitely go back. SOON!!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Pine? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Pine, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.